GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

@Fagan_ODowd still want to take the piss out of me for tipping Barry Nash for HOTY back in January?? 1 good display away from it.

You’re fucking welcome.

1 Like

I thought his pucouts in the semi final in 2019 were excellent too, just ye were ahead of the game.

I’d imagine gillane must be 1 good performance away from it too though.

Barry Nash won’t win hurler of the year

1 Like

Did they announce HOTY overnight?

Was @balbec not putting out an official Limerick internet line that you weren’t interested in individual awards and leave the HOTY stuff to media darlings like Tony Kelly. Real conflicting signals here.

1 Like

Not in a month of Sundays.

He’s had a brilliant season but I wouldn’t think he’d have the profile to win it.

If gillane has a stormer in the final and Limerick win he’ll win it I’d say. Same for tj.

Fair play to him. What did he get for winning it?

2 Likes

It’s a betting thing. Don’t mind that.

Some lads have an awful problem with the betting.

Probably won’t but context is everything. He was north of 66/1 when I tipped him for it and he is now 1 good display in the final away from being nominated for it.

I was rightly boozed last night :rofl: :laughing:

2 Likes

Sean Kelly or Brendan Rogers for full-back will be a big decision. I think Comers second-half salvo on Saturday will cost Rogers. Kelly in pole position assuming he has a solid final.

Facing an in-form Clifford will be a big test. Though if the quality of ball in is curtailed then yes - he’s in pole.

What will the All Star team be? I see Jamesie had Limerick only getting 6, now that might be an over correction based on the dozen they got last year but you would think that they will get a couple more although the likes of Finn and WOD might lose out to marginal calls. They have both had good years but maybe not as dominant as previous.

Lawlor, Mullen and TJ will all get spots for Kilkenny but will someone like Butler get a fourth spot? Kelly will get one and I’d say Clare will probably get a second one while Mannion, Joseph Cooney and Whelan will be in the mix for a token Galway all star.

Nash, Byrnes, Hannon, Hegarty, Hayes and Gillane are nailed on. Finn, Casey, WOD and Quaid all have very strong chances too but can’t see them getting 10. The Mossisseys and Flanagan also in the mix but would be surprised if any of them got an A/S.

Does Butler beat out Finn, does Nash go to wing back to allow both Mike Casey and Lawlor in the full backline? I’d expect at least one of the midfield A/S to have hardly played there this year.

I’d expect at least one of SOD, David Fitz or Ryan Taylor to get an A/S. SOD probably the likeliest as he got three MOTM awards and gave five very good performances this year along with the whole concussion comeback will get him a few sympathy votes. Personally, I’d feel David Mc and Paul Flanagan were two of our best and most consistent hurlers and fully deserve to be in all star contenders but will be beaten out as there are easily a dozen backs who could justify inclusion this year.

Quaid
Butler-Lawlor-Casey
Byrnes-Hannon-Nash
Mullen-Kelly
Hegarty-Hayes-SOD
Gillane-TJ-Whelan

I felt TSG game was accurate. Lawlor scrapes past Casey but im biased towards casey.

Kelly in midfield is a good shout to get whelan in. I felt that DOD had a great season. Mullan was immense.

Unlike last year i genuinely felt limerick should have had 15. This year is definitely different.

Quiad
Finn Lawlor Nash
Byrnes Hannon mannion
Mullen DOD
Hego Hayes Kelly
Gillane TJ Whelan

Shane O’Donnell isn’t within an asses roar of an All-Star.

8 Likes

We won’t get a midfielder

1 Like

Why? He was excellent most games

More than likely. Its hard to see the work our midfield does on the telly. I say it will swimg that way

He hurled well, but bar the final 10 minutes against a Wexford team that was shitting the pot, he was hardly excellent.

Kelly, Fitzgerald, Taylor and Diarmuid Ryan were consistently better hurlers for Clare this year than him.

2 Likes

I wonder could they fudge it and give Finn one corner back and Butler midfield considering the game that really won him it, he was following TK everywhere. Finn should get one the way he has finished the season and a fifth would befit his status as the best defender of his era.