GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

There’s a set template for this.

AI Winners get 7-9
AI Losers 3-4
The rest to the stragglers.

Barron gave two Tour De France’s and really lit up a couple of Championship Saturday’s so I think he’s as entitled to one as Tony Kelly is this year.

1 Like

Waterford only got 1 after getting the shit hammered out of them in 2008, despite making the final.

It was all we deserved

1 Like

But if ye had lost the semi, ye probably would have got at least 2 if not 3.

Has a beaten finalist ever NOT received even one All-Star?

I’d have either Harnedy or Kingston over Jack O’Connor, Harnedy especially has been a brilliant player for the guts of the last decade and probably deserves a marginal call to go his way. The goal in the semi final could swing it for JOC but by the same logic Kingston scored 0-07 from play the same day.

Quaid and Dan Morrissey would be certs in my team. Dan is a rock and really stabilised things from the second half of the Munster final onwards. Crazy that Quaid only has one All-Star when he’s one of the best ‘keepers ever.

And the fact that Horgan kept them in that game against kk. You can’t give JOC an all star, he didn’t spend enough time at wing forward to get one and he didn’t do enough at corner forward to get one.

Quaid. Best all-round keeper in the game.

Finn. Nailed on. Just a Rolls Royce

Prunty. Think Dan was better but only played half a season. Prunty did well against Callinan (after an early mistake), well against Galway and did very well on Gillane.

Nash. Always there to receive a pass from a defender in trouble and relieve the danger (might go to O’Donoghue to boost Cork numbers).

Byrnes. Chipped in with a point or two in all the games. Hurled really well. Doesn’t launch the wing and a prayer shots half as much as he used to.

Hannon. A genius on the ball.

Hayes. Was probably the only rival to Lynch for HOTY before the final

O’Donoghue. The engine room. A work horse.

Barron. This is up in the air. Kelly was class but exited early. DOD had excellent semi-final and finals. Like Meade did little wrong. Barron, even though WOD destroyed him, was excellent in the previous two games.

Kingston. He got a lot of goals this year. I’d have him over Jack O’Connor and I don’t think Tom and Hego will get one.

Lynch.

Hegarty. Toss up between himself and Tom but the blockbuster final may just give Hego the nod.

Gillane. When lads mention the cream of the crop we have at the moment, a lot exclude this lad. He’s a beast in the air, on the ground, he can finish. He’s an outstanding player.

Flanagan. Dam near unmarkable.

Cody. Another tough call. Casey was the best of them but the red card and only playing 25 mins in the final might cost him. Horgan was consistent as usual and got a few lovely scores in the final. Jack O’Connor was good in spells. Austin Gleason was excellent. Just think they’ll shoe-horn a KK player in here, particularly if the GK goes to Quaid

It’s impossible to make a case for any Cork players after last Sunday. They didn’t win any single contest against a Limerick opponent. Of the stragglers the Waterford chap - Jamie Barron has a squeak, same with Tony Kelly, a squeak of a chance. The KK goalie made a few saves but……

New template for new rulers:

Winners -11-12.
The Rest - The Rest.

1 Like

Quaid finn D.morrissey nash byrnes hannon Hayes WOD DOD hego lynch T morrissey casey Flanagan Gillane.

No other player comes close to that. An all star 15 without limerick wouldnt beat Limerick.

Lynch HOTY
O Connor YHOTY

Cork have certainly lost out on a few positions after the final. Tim O’Mahony may well have been ahead of a couple prior to it, but that may now vanish as Hannon, who would have been a middling shot beforehand now probably has one in the bag. There’s always the debate between who should be picked and who they’ll politically pick. My personal selection of the best and most effective 15 for 2021 is as follows:

1. Nickie Quaid
  2. Sean Finn
  3. Conor Prunty
  4. Barry Nash
  5. Calum Lyons
  6. Declan Hannon
  7. Kyle Hayes
  8. William O’Donoghue
  9. Tony Kelly
  10. Seamus Harnedy
  11. Cian Lynch
  12. Robbie O’Flynn
  13. Aaron Gillane
  14. Seamus Flanagan
  15. Peter Casey
1 Like

Not eligible.

Cody is essentially the only candidate.

1 Like

Limerick will be disappointed with 13 or less All Stars on the team this year.

He had a great year tbf, well-deserving.

If Iarlaith Daly had stayed fit, he would have been a contender.

Yhoty is a cod nowadays.

4 Likes

Nothing has changed other than the fitness/conditioning/bulk needed to be in the starting 15. Young lads have much less chance of starting Championship as teenagers these days. Not sure how you fix it.

Take Flynn out and replace him with Sutcliffe and you’re spot on imo.

Sutcliffe had a very good year alright, but O’Flynn did an awful lot of unseen work for Cork this year.

The half-forward line is arguably the hardest to pick as I think it has the most players in the mix when you add in Morrissey, Hego, Austin Gleeson, Forde and possibly Cody as potential candidates.

Aidan McCarthy had a fine championship and is probably the only other under 21 who stood out

Best of the rest XV 2021?

Murphy
O’Donoghue
Prunty
Hayes
O’Mahony
Walsh
Lyons
Barron
Malone
Forde/Bennett
Gleeson