GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

Tipp & Galway will be taking out Cork soon.

Sure for years a guaranteed AI semi final didnt hurt the chances of picking up at least 1 all star

1 Like

A bit harsh, David Burke, Daithi Burke and Joe and Ollie Canning are probably responsible for around 25% of Galways all stars

1 Like

By far the most impressive number there is Offaly. Incredible return for such a small hurling population. Especially given how many they have included in the Limerick number.

Wexford are closer to Antrim than Limerick. Important to remember that.

2 Likes

Galway have more media darlings

Why?

I was sticking it to the Wexford posters. I’d say they’re all seething now too

at one stage up to not long ago, I believe Offaly were the only county with an all star in every position both hurling and football. It may still be the case

Galway as well but I think it’s just Galway and Offaly. Not even Cork surprisingly.

I’m apoplectic.

Galway as well? Offaly achieved it first I believe

Yeah I think Galway only joined them recently enough.

The Sunday Game team of the year was very Limerick-heavy, and obviously I’m biased so I’m probably not going to have much different numbers-wise.

However, for me, Nickie Quaid is in a league of his own goalkeeper-wise. Eoin Murphy made a couple of great saves but Quaid has made a couple of big stops this year and his puckouts are on a different level completely. Murphy lumped ball after ball on top of a 4 vs 2 and Tim O’Mahony came out time and time again. Quaid’s puckouts are perfection. He makes it look easy which is half the problem, but it’s really not. Limerick’s most underrated player and also Limerick’s most important player. He is irreplaceable at the moment. Lynch is Limerick’s best player and would be a massive loss but the replacements would do a job in a different way. We simply cannot replace Quaid yet. In my eyes, there is no contest for the goalkeeper position.

Seanie Finn is nailed-on as one corner-back. The other two Limerick boys have a fair chance. Dan only played 2.5 games but he was immense throughout those 180/190 minutes. Barry Nash was one of the few Limerick players to come out of the first half against Tipp with any credit and is just so comfortable on the ball, a really classy season. Sean O’Donoghue was probably nailed-on to get a corner-back spot until the final, but he got a bit of a roasting. I’d have a fair bit of sympathy for him as he was left exposed. Maybe could still give him one to boost the Cork numbers. Prunty was caught badly for one of Callanan’s goals but did a fair job on Gillane, recovered against Tipp and was very impressive against Galway. Lawlor had had a good year but struggled a bit vs Cork. Rory Hayes had been having a good year but in his last game, got burned by Jack O’Connor which lives in the memory.

Half-backs, Kyler is nailed-on. Fair battle for the other spot between Byrnesy, Calum Lyons & Tim. Byrnes’ distribution & long-range shooting absolutely sublime again, his pass to Flanagan for Gillane’s goal in the final was unreal. Lyons probably would be nailed-on if he hadn’t been sent man marking against Kelly & Hego. When he cut loose, he was Waterford’s main attacking threat. Tim didn’t go great in the final, probably would have been nailed-on to boost Cork numbers had they been better in the final. At centre-back, players don’t tend to stand out as much these days. Hannon had a huge final which could swing it his way. Coleman impressed in the semi, not good in the final. Couldn’t give it to Shane Bennett after the nightmare he had in the semi. Maybe Padraig Walsh? He was alright.

In midfield, WOD has surely done enough this year. Although I thought DOD was better than him in both the semi-final & final, thought he gave a perfect example as to how to play the midfield linkman role. As it is, he’s probably one the All Star selectors will overlook to give one elsewhere. The Sunday Game gave it to TK and he was good, but he definitely wasn’t as good as he was in 2020 and Clare went out earlier. Jamie Barron was eaten alive by WOD but had two absolutely superb performance against Galway & Tipp if that counts for anything. Cathal Malone was Clare’s best player imo. Luke Meade had a solid year too.

Lynch nailed-on at centre-forward & hurler of the year. Tom’s scoring & his performance in the final will probably get him one. Hego had a quieter year by his standards, despite 2-2 in the final. He’ll probably be the sacrificial lamb. Jack O’Connor was given one here by the Sunday Game and that could happen. Although he barely pucked a ball in the final, his goals will surely see him over the line. I thought Jack Prendergast was superb all year but not prominent enough in the semi. In fairness to Harnedy, scored 4 from play in the final, probably one of the few to really stand up and take the game to Limerick. Could get in. Jason Forde did a lot of damage from out here in the first half of the Munster Final. Danny Sutcliffe stood out for Dublin.

Inside, you could make a case for all three Limerick players but you could also see only one getting in. I think Flanagan was the best of them all year and has to get one. Gillane was superb in the final, grew into it in the semi-final and made a big, big impact from the bench in the Munster Final. Is that enough? Peter Casey was going to be nailed-on if he hadn’t got injured in the final, but will that & the red card incident count against him? You wouldn’t complain if he did get it. Hoggie was excellent in the semi & scored a couple of nice points in the final. I thought Aussie had a good year. But I’d probably have Eoin Cody in there ahead of any of the other contenders, thought he was really dangerous for Kilkenny.

1 Like

Quaid
Finn Morrissey Nash
Byrnes Hannon Hayes
WOD Barron
Harnedy Lynch Kelly
JOC Flanagan Casey/Gillane

Quaid’s puc outs take it over Murphy IMO. Such an underrated aspect of this Limerick team.

Even though he only started half their games, Morrissey was imperious at full back, so I’ll have him in there.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t argue too much with that.

Maybe I’d push for Tom but when we’re getting 10 already, I’d let it go :joy:

Can’t see one team getting the back 7 complete though.

I’d give Limerick 13 of the positions even though 11 is as much as they will get you’d think

Every position on the field bar one of the wing forwards and Gillane/Casey.

Eoin Cody to pick up one and Harnedy/Kelly/Gleeson/O’Connor etc etc to fight over the other one.

And even after saying that the 2 Limerick lads to miss out are unlucky. Hegarty will be penalised for being so good last year more than anything.

Fuck I forgot about Tom Morrissey. Christ. Could put Kelly back midfield for Barron and Morrissey in the HF line.

Yeah I thought about the complete back 7 but I just think every one of them was the best individual this year in his position. All deserving of an All Star I feel.

I really don’t think Eoin Cody should get one. He played 3 matches, one of which he was taken off. He was lethal against Wexford and he was good against Cork. Any of the Limerick ff line or JOC should be ahead of him.

Lookit - just give all 15 to Limerick and be done with it. The rest is only two combs fighting over a bald man.

2 Likes