GAA Clichés and Dublin Legends

Anybody who really wants a ticket will always get one.

It’s all about the panel…

A Pat Spillane favourite: “This is the biggest sporting attendance of the weekend in the whole of Europe, Michael.”

A boring article in the Saturday papers about a Dublin based teacher from Mayo with accompanying boring picture of her in a Mayo jersey surrounded by pupils in Dublin gear.

You typically also get a story about a family of around 35 people from one of the competing counties all going to the game.

Or a story about some cunt “launching a pilgrimage” to get home from some foreign outpost for the match.

Let’s not kid ourselves, Michael, the Gaelic football season doesn’t begin until the August Bank Holiday weekend.

“A huge crowd turned out to welcome home the All-Ireland champions”

“You’ve got to lose one to win one.”

The top scoring corner forward always deflects praise from his own display - “ah sure it was the boys out the field doing all the hard work and I had the easy part. That’s what I’m there to do”

I was talking to an official involved in the county board here and he says the scramble for tickets this year is the worst he’s ever seen.

That looked bad alright, but it was out of character for Shane O’Neill, he’s not a dirty player.

“Most of that successful minor team are underage again next year.”

“You’re better off playing into the wind sometimes.”

“His brother was even better but he was fond of the drink and the women.”

He’s a hero in the county alright, but I just wonder has he been out of management too long at this stage.

Winning with the club means more to me than winning with the county ever could.

“Pearse Park in Longford is always a tough place to go.”

Uachtaran Cumann Luthchleas Gael, Liam O’Neill.

The boys in the backroom deserve great credit, they put in a massive effort. It’s not about me, it’s about the whole management team.

And then the captain always mentions the lads on the “extended panel” who didn’t get to “tog out” today for a special mention.

The build-up in the county has been surprisingly low key, to be honest.