GAA Clichés and Dublin Legends

When asked if he will stay around for next years campaign the veteran intercounty star will always respond with “I’ll go back and play with the club and see how the body is then.”

When a manager is asked if he’ll stay on for the next campaign, usually after a painful defeat he will usually respond with: “Ah look it, now isn’t the time to be be making any rash decisions. I’ll sit down with the county board at some point over the coming weeks and we’ll see what happens. But as I said, now isn’t the time to be making decisions.”

‘There’s something special about winning with the club. It’s the lads you would have grown up with and would have went to school with.’
The past conditional tense is a key element of most GAA cliches actually. Everyone ‘would’ have done things even if they undoubtedly already actually did them.

[quote=“Tabby, post: 839181, member: 2142”]‘There’s something special about winning with the club. It’s the lads you would have grown up with and would have went to school with.’
The past conditional tense is a key element of most GAA cliches actually. Everyone ‘would’ have done things even if they undoubtedly already actually did them.[/quote]
Hiberno English

Certainly is. Makes sense I suppose since most GAA players are Irish.
Pat Donnellan must have set a record for I supposes in his speech on Saturday.

Eoin Kelly has been off form during the league but I’d expect him to be back to his best come the Munster championship - he’s a real top of the ground player.

“Cork are still Cork.”

“That full backline will be caught for pace.”

The full back is vulnerable when turned.

They started to expose the X backs when they ran at them.

Referring to the Dublin football team and its supporters as a “cash cow”.

They’ll be there or thereabouts.

Has Martin Breheny produced his end of season rankings yet?

“Limerick never feared Tipperary.”

“That drawn championship game will bring them on for the next day.”

Wexford down to 14 men…

“You’d have to think Down/Waterford probably left it behind them in the drawn match.”

Attritional

Per Marty:
Wide from out on the wing, very poor shot selection there. Point from same position moments later, scintillating score, what a player he is.

Playing so many games in quick succession has given them great momentum, it’s a big advantage versus coming into the game cold.
They are wrecked from playing so many games in quick succession, it’s a big disadvantage versus coming into the game fresh.