GAA Clichés and Dublin Legends

Money spinning replay.

We’re repeating ourselves here chaps - a bit like Dublin and Kerry

I’m not sure it’s a cliché yet but this thing about penalties being very tough on amateurs.

Losing on penalties is absolutely shit, agreed. But losing any knockout match hurts a lot. I’m not sure I would get any more solace having been beaten after extra time in a third replay than penalties tbqh.

3 Likes

The modern day Gaelic Footballer shouldnt be put into a position where the outcome of the game is determined by his ability to kick the ball accurately in a forward motion.

A much fairer way of determining the result would be a set of bleep tests and perhaps some form of bicep or tattoo measuring contest.

4 Likes

It’s hard to believe that some of these chaps wouldn’t have been chuffed that the year is finally over and they can put their feet up.

I heard the manager saying he wouldn’t have minded going down to Portlaoise on a Wednesday night for a replay. But, how would you be sure you could get lads freed up from work, college etc. It’s not that easy surely…?
I don’t agree that it’s pressure on amateur lads taking penalties. Amateur soccer players do it all the time in cup fixtures around Ireland, so why should it be any different for GAA players?

Some of these lads have to get up and go on the piss in the morning

That is true . That said I wouldn’t like to be the poor devil that missed the penalty . You would never be forgotten. Also the chance of a club GAA player getting a lucrative contract advertising pizza is slim .

I lost penalty shootouts playing soccer. And I don’t remember being paid for it.

3 Likes

No one in their right mind would want to go to Portlaoise in the dark.

Not since the tapas place shut down anyway

:cry:

Wollies gaff?

Is it gone?

I’m surprised at Chipmongers closing down.

Joder. A tapas bar too exotic for the locals? Parkinson’s missus must now realise what an animal house of a town she is living in, unless she comes from the Spanish equivalent of Portlaoise…

Tapas is very 2018. It’s all sushi in Laois in 2019.

1 Like

Agreed. You could have a keepie-uppie competition based solely on fist-passing. Whichever team stays awake the longest wins.

They have that already, it’s mostly played in Clones over the summer every year

3 Likes