GAA Clichés and Dublin Legends

Thrown in has been delayed for 15 minutes due to crowd congestion.

There’s something special about the Munster hurling championship.

Kilkenny maybe lucky not to have a lad sent off.

The minimum between them.

Them Laois hurlers would fill a hospital ward for ya

Ger Gilroy is a great purveyor of the anti-cliche cliche. Ger doesn’t like anybody saying that a team can’t retain the All-Ireland because of lack of hunger. That’s a cliche.

Every year it’s the same. “Surely this notion about it being about hunger is rubbish? Surely Donegal/Dublin/Cork will actually be more confident knowing they’ve won an All-Ireland and will improve and take this project to the next level this year? It’s not about hunger. Hunger has nothing to do with it. It’s about the quality of these amazing players.”

Donegal/Dublin/Cork lack hunger and meekly surrender their All-Ireland title.

If they try it on with any loughrea lads, they’ll fill a ward alright :slight_smile:

Noel Connors thought Waterford proved the critics wrong. Today’s Irish Times.

Brian Carthy talking about a “famed” club in Roscommon during commentary - ie last week during the Roscommon-Leitrim match he referred to “the famed Michael Glaveys club”.

Not famed.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 950503, member: 2660”]Brian Carthy talking about a “famed” club in Roscommon during commentary - ie last week during the Roscommon-Leitrim match he referred to “the famed Michael Glaveys club”.

Not famed.[/QUOTE]

I am familiar with the Michal Glaveys club, based around the village of Ballinlough between Castlerea and Ballyhaunis. They were also the club of Dermot Early. Famed.

You’re setting the fame bar very low there.

It’s GAA. The fame bar is always low.

Yes but even in relative terms you’ve set it very low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59RC4Z3cq1k

http://forums.insidelacrosse.com/images/smilies/guns.gif

“Gael” or if in an effusive mood, “true Gael”. A cliche beloved of Ulster people. Often contains thinly veiled anti-association football undertones. A true Gael believes he is pure of mind and of soul, and is superior to those who have an involvement or interest in impure sports. True Gaels are often members of the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association.

A True Gael can also be a Great Hurling Man in many instances. I haven’t watched The Sunday Game highlights show from the other night yet but I expect Des and the pundits reminded viewers that there’s Great Hurling Men in Antrim and these Glensmen will have been delighted by their victory over Laois.

Or the night Kevin McStay (or one of them gimps)breathlessly informed us that there were children in Sligo who knew exactly who Lar Corbett and Tommy Walsh were

Is there any other type of hurling man in Antrim besides a “great” one?

An alcoholic one as well I think. The two may not be mutually exclusive.
Actually the other GAA cliche is the passing off of some act of savagery or depravity as “an incident” which befalls the perpetrator if they play a starring role at any level of the sport.

A typically robust display by pallasgreen
(= limited damage but no ambulance required TG)