GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I liked the picture first, but then went back and liked yours too. I’m making up a princess award and giving that to you too.

1 Like

Thank you. I need validation.

One point in the second half against Meath in 1999 and three points in the second half against Kerry in 2000 sound like pretty big collapses to me.

And I forgot to mention the total collapse against 14 man Sligo in 2002 when Armagh went from six points up with 12 minutes left to hanging onto a draw for dear life at the end when Sligo should have buried them. That’s as bad a collapse from a team in Croke Park as I’ve ever seen.

That Sligo team wasn’t quite up to the standard of the Dublin team Mayo faced this year, I think you’ll agree.

Don’t we all. Thanks for the like. It made me feel appreciated.

Armagh won an All Ireland in their first appearance in an All Ireland final in 26 years. You are referencing a period starting in 99 - an Ulster title that bridged a 17 year gap for Armagh. And three campaigns after that title they won an All Ireland.

Mayo have been competing at the business end for some time now. Even before 2011 they had a good blend of lads who had experienced All Ireland finals and if days at Croke Park and have been perennial contenders for the last 5 years - falling short each time.

I don’t see a point there. The point is, I listed matches where Armagh’s mental frailties led to worse collapses than the current Mayo team have had, thus winning the argument.

I’ll handle this @Nembo_Kid:

“You’ve won nothing. (Repeat everything I said in the last 5 posts). I have now comprehensively won the argument. I am the best debater on this site. Something about Ulster football. Up Tyrone.”

2 Likes

Every team who has ever lost believed their own hype, had mental frailties and had tactically naive management.

FACT.

END OF.

Nope, Armagh got over the line within four years of coming from nowehere to win an All Ireland.

Mayo have been competing for All Irelands over the course of the past 25 years and have failed to get over the line.

They’ve been in the last four for the past 5 years but not got there. They’ve a string of players like Dillon/Moran/Higgins/Clarke and possibly a few others who have been part of squads that have been in 4/5 All Ireland finals and have no winners medals to show for it.

Mayo are on another extreme to Armagh.

In 99, it was a new experience for Armagh, in 2000 they learned a very harsh lesson, in 2002 they got over the line.

You look at the past 26 years of the game (1990-2015) as a sample and you have Dublin and Kerry leading in the title stakes in that particular period, the two traditional giants of the game.

Look at the other teams in that period and their records in finals.

Down 2/3
Galway 2/3
Donegal 2/3
Tyrone 3/4
Armagh 1/2
Derry 1/1
Kildare 0/1
Cork 2/6
Meath 2/4
Mayo 0/6

When you get there, you’ve got to seize the moment and it’s one thing Mayo haven’t done. The core of this group of players have been on the go for 5 years now but nothing to show for it.

@Piles_Hussain

You’re good at this.

Can you throw up a GIF of a person exasperatedly yet condescendingly shaking their head, please?

First result for ‘exasperatedly but condescendingly shaking head gif’.

4 Likes

Hold on a minute. On one hand you’re saying they’d be stupid not to have someone in the stands. Now you’re saying it’s bad to have someone who won all Ireland’s keeping his peepers open?

They don’t have that many within the backroom team to use

He was training another team.
If you are that guy in the stand you havr to be immersed in the team.be at all training etc.
Anything else doesn’t work.
They are wired up to an analyst and a stato.

1 Like

Its a pity this took 2 years. As mentioned a few players have miles on the clock.
A couple of them were only clocking in over the past year or two.

Some lads need to be left behind.

You were saying Cuthbert was the man for the job two years ago, you botton.

Not true. I had hopes of what his skills would bring AFTER he got the job.

Cleary was the standout at that time too.

You can change your mind, Kev. You just can’t backdate it

1 Like

Go find where i said i wanted cutbert ahead of cleary why don’t you.

Oh dear.

1 Like