GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

The nearest ATM machine.

Daly is involved in a few pubs etc back in Clare so there must be quite a package to tempt him to go up to Dublin 4 times a week for the next 6 months.

Bit of a character is Dalo. Owns good few greyhounds. Was involved in hurling in deepest West Clare in Kilmihil for the last few years. Bit of a punter to say the least. Reputed to have lost a shit load on Kilmoyley not winning the Kerry hurling championship a couple of years ago (He was training them). They won it this year tho so maybe he recouped his losses. I fancy he wont be betting too hard on the Dublin hurlers.

Daly is a great choice for Dublin as he has a big reputation as a player and he did a fairly good job with clare…We were very unlucky not to beat kilkenny in 04 and cork in 05…Very enthusiastic and a superb leader…Also he isn’t naive and won’t send dublin out ot hurl 15 v 15 against the big boys and will have a game plan to ry and stop them…

Does he still have the sports shop in Ennis KIB…

Daly has got the most demented eyes I’ve ever seen. Looked a complete psycho any time he was on The Sunday Game. I wouldn’t like to get on the wrong side of him.

Thought he did a decent enough job as Clare manager as they were clearly a team in transition when he was there. It didn’t look like he took the Munster championship that seriously, he never won a Munster game in charge of them (they were well beaten each year I think) but always got them to peak at the right time later in the summer. He won’t have that luxury with Dublin however. He’ll need to make progress within the province next year - ie a Leinster final. BTW does anybody know what the story with the Leinster hurling draw for next year is. Only the draw for the quarter finals has been made as far as I know. Why is this and when will we know who has to play Kilkenny? They surely won’t leave it until afte the matches are played?

Yeah Daly tried to get Clare to peak physically for August each year…He wasn’t afraid to blood lads too although some say he was too loyal to the likes of Lohan and Seanie but in my eyes they were still the best 3 and 6 we had…

Superb motivator and manager…Would rate him higher than Davy as a manager although Davy is a better trainer…Clare had three fairly good league campaigns under him as well…Got to the final in 2005 and only for a late Niall Moran goal we would have made another one…

sid, I made a few enquiries about the Leinster draw and I was informed that they didn’t plot the whole thing out as they didn’t want to demoralise the teams that would have been on the same half of the draw as Kilkenny. I’m not shitting here either - they think teams will be more motivated to put in a big effort in winter and spring now ahead of the quarter finals. It’ll only be after those games that they’ll find out who’s going to be faced with Kilkenny. Wexford and Offaly are going to toss a coin for home venue, which is a good thing.

Their back pockets Cranky,
No shortage there, I like Anto, he could do well, and I think he would get on with the players. One thing of note about Anto is that he’s not afraid of change.

Congrats on your news btw. If you’d have kept your mickey to yourself for another 6 weeks, she would have got another year at minor.

Does he still have the sports shop in Ennis KIB…[/QUOTE]

yeah hard to know how it keeps going because its pretty shit. The lease there must be massive

Former Clare star Seamus Clancy could be in line to become the manager of the Banner’s footballers.

The former All Star was part of the county side crowned Munster champions in 1992 and two of Clancy’s former team-mates could provide him with the stiffest competition for the post made vacant by the resignation of Frank Doherty.

Brendan Rouine and Aidan Moloney manage Ennistymon and Cooraclare at present and have also been touted as possible replacements for Doherty.

Clare lost in the second round of the qualifiers to Donegal having lost to Limerick in the Munster SFC semi-finals.

Former Armagh football manager Peter McDonnell is expected to release a statement explaining his reasons for quiting the Orchard County in the next 24 hours.

McDonnell surprise exist was confirmed in a statement by the county board last night.

The manager had been hoping to stay in charge for another season but there is speculation that matters off the field of play forced his hand.

Former manager Joe Kernan and current Kildare manager Kieran McGeeney are already being linked to the position.

Laois have reappointed Sean Dempsey for another year in charge of the Football squad following a vote by the Clubs last night.

Niall Rigney was reappointed to the hurling position for another year unaminously.

Liam Sammon has stepped down as manager of the Galway footballers

Will Frank cash only Doherty get the gig?

Sammons time was up. Tactically there is a lot of work to be done with that side.

[quote=“KIB man”]Will Frank cash only Doherty get the gig?

Sammons time was up. Tactically there is a lot of work to be done with that side.[/quote]

Tactically?

I’d say tactics are the least of their worries
Complete underachievement and not down to tactics
They need a bit of heart, drive, motivation

Legends in their own locality seems good enough for them

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Tactically?

I’d say tactics are the least of their worries
Complete underachievement and not down to tactics
They need a bit of heart, drive, motivation

Legends in their own locality seems good enough for them[/quote]

They lack a midfield. That has ben killing them for years. Defensively they are average as well.

They’re a crowd of shapers. Their backs and Mayo’s forwards could compete in the women’s championship.

At least they’d still be competing at a higher level then Clare.:clap:

Sammon could have had another year if he’d wanted. He knew however his approach was not in tune with the modern game and being an honourble man, has nobly stepped aside. Would like to see Kevin 'the anointed one’Walsh see out his time in Sligo myself to be honest. Nicky’s old man might get the gig, word is Micko’s keeping a very keen eye on developments!

[quote=“Lazarus”]At least they’d still be playing at a higher level then Clare.:clap:

Sammon could have had another year if he’d wanted. He knew however his approach was not in tune with the modern game and being an honourble man, has nobly stepped aside. Would like to see Kevin 'the anointed one’Walsh see out his time in Sligo myself to be honest. Nicky’s old man might get the gig, word is Micko’s keeping a very keen eye on developments![/quote]

We don’t have the $$$ for Micko. Aer Arann are bleeding cash at the moment so cant see it coming from there.

Micko has said that Galway was always a county he’d like to manage in fairness.

[quote=“Gaillimharais”]We don’t have the $$$ for Micko. Aer Arann are bleeding cash at the moment so cant see it coming from there.

Micko has said that Galway was always a county he’d like to manage in fairness.[/quote]

Who wouldn’t want to manage Galway in fairness, after Kerry the county with the greatest pedigree in the country, bar none!(except Kerry, obviously)

Whatever about Micko Gaillimh, the smart money will be going on Paul Grimely(assuming a deals not already been made with Walsh).
No more than the players this is a man with something to prove and with a track record of understanding how to develop a team at the highest level in the modern game. Wouldn’t doubt for a second that Geezer wouldn’t give him his full blessing.

[quote=“Lazarus”]Who wouldn’t want to manage Galway in fairness, after Kerry the county with the greatest pedigree in the country, bar none!(except Kerry, obviously)

Whatever about Micko Gaillimh, the smart money will be going on Paul Grimely(assuming a deals not already been made with Walsh).
No more than the players this is a man with something to prove and with a track record of understanding how to develop a team at the highest level in the modern game. Wouldn’t doubt for a second that Geezer wouldn’t give him his full blessing.[/quote]

Just seeing this now, Grimley would go to Armagh first surely? Also if he goes McGeeney would be in serious bother I think.

Dessie Dolan Snr has said he would like the chance to revive the fortunes of Westmeath

Latest word is that Mayo cunt and loser par excellence John Maughan is a shoe in for the Galway gig. Not good news at all really.