GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Quite revealling Fitzmaurices misunderstanding of training to matchs speed with his reference to older lads winning/leading runs. Proof to me he has no insight into conditioning. There are many flaws in that argument, but the obvious one is the repeatability of runs and of course agility and the opposition. Poor lack of knowledge in this day.

Think he is a bit delusioned to think “they should have won the match”.

How is it proof?

It’s one line in a throwaway interview. Obviously conclusive proof yet again. Kev didn’t even have to use his mystical “insight” there.

2 Likes

One could only imagine what Kev would say about the incompetence and lack of knowledge of a manager that kept a clearly concussed player on the pitch for the last 12 minutes of an All-Ireland final. :grinning:

1 Like

You do understand the word insight of course do ya?

Because he expised a very fundamantal misunderstanding of speed and physical preperation.

Your profession all have different theories and takes on these matters. Tangible proof does not exist in this field which is why it is wide open to spoofers.

Kerry are an old team with lots of miles on the clock, the only criticism that should be levelled at Fitzmaurice about the conditioning of his players is that he really should have hastened the transition of his playing panel. He has been too loyal and dependent on a core group of players who have been well on the road for 10+ years.

It’s age and mileage that is the problem, not conditioning. Kerry are in much better physical condition compared to say Donegal, who have a similar age profile. Donegal in contrast to Kerry have been flogged for the past 6 years or so but they had to be in order to be ready to go at full tilt from May to August/September every year.

Conditioning isn’t a problem for Kerry, the age and mileage on a lot of key players is.

1 Like

The rumours up here are that Donegal were over training during the summer, still doing long runs and heavy sessions between games. Add that to the injuries that they had to cope with since Gallagher took over and you’d have to question what he’s doing conditioning-wise as well.

In his last year working as McGuinness’ understudy he was responsible for the fitness training when Jim was at Celtic - allegedly - and there were way off the pace that year. There was a vast improvement when he was gone from the set up the following year.

I understand it in the dictionary sense, not in the way you use it as evidence to support a conclusion you’ve already arrived at.
What would you expect Fitzmaurice to say there? “Yeah Tony, them auld lads are fucked, they’re all out the gap for next year”

1 Like

Rumours, rumours, rumours. The legs of guys like Lacey, McGee, Thompson have been gone for a few years now. Like Fitzmaurice, Gallagher has held them back by not showing more faith in the younger players. I think Lacey was even given extra time off buy it didn’t do anything for him, he’s done.

just a couple of things, kev assured us that the Kerry manager was gone win or lose- that was from an inside source-

also guys , can we stop calling exercising conditioning please

5 Likes

He was done two years ago, his leg is in an awful state apparently.

Thompson should have bee dropped but I wouldn’t agree with you on McGee.

The players looked, to my eye from the Upper Cusack Stand, tired in the first five minutes of the Dublin match.

Murphy could do with some time off but he’s playing on an injury for Glenswilly at the minute as well.

Referring to Eamonn McGee in case of any confusion. Neil is still operating at a fairly high level.

I would expect a more in depth knowledge of conditioning. I know he took over alot of the prep himself. Now if he ignored advice or the lads doing it were too afraid to give it is another question.

Speed may simply not be able to made up on, on another team. It can be improved but its largely genetic. I don’t think he gets how to get as fit as Dublin.

Kerry were “fit” bit not conditioned. Their motor skills went to shot late on. Thats the real determination of fitness or conditioning. The ability to sustain high intensity efforts for the entire game and maintain decision making and execute basic skills for the entire game. That was the stark difference between the teams. Kerry could only do bursts. From what i know Kerry did alot of Lactate training, and not enough low end aerobic development which is critical for aerobic effiency.

As for what he says to the press, i would think he should be avoiding the fitness question completely and also stop from sending out the messages from family and management that this year they got the fitness perfect. Now in fairness to him, that can also be a tactic for confidence within the playing group, and its a common tactic. But i think it backfired as they gassed.

@Nembo_Kid - age is a factor. But they only started with Gooch, AOM of the old brigade. I would say lack of game time (also a conditioning factor, conditioning actually means to condition for the task and not simply running to a designated time or distance) for Maher and others was also a factor.

Interesting. Was it the year after the AI Jim Mc went to Celtic?

What can i say, the inside source was mislead, lied or had other motives for saying it. And said it to alot more people than me.

Walsh, Donaghy, O’SullIvan and Young all started along with O’Mahoney and Cooper. They are 29/30 or above and have been on the road for a long time. Age is the primary factor of what is holding this Kerry team back.

The year that he went there first and was flying back for training every couple of days.

I can’t stress enough that this is rumour but apparently McGuinness was very unhappy with the levels of fitness in the camp during the Championship that summer, 2013, and that’s why Gallagher was cut from the backroom team and they’ve haven’t spoken since.

Kevin likes to base views on loose talk, second hand information and rumour. He thinks he is a scientist too.

Ooft.

Can I get a @caoimhaoin ruling on this, please?

To avoid any confusion, I’m referring to Jim Gavin keeping an obviously concussed Rory O’Carroll on the pitch for the last 12 minutes or so of the 2013 All-Ireland final.

Jim Gavin is commonly held up as the benchmark in terms of managers accepting the benefits of scientific preparation and monitoring of players’ well- being.

My view is that in this case he put a player’s long-term well-being and quality of life at serious risk by placing him in a situation where he could have suffered second impact syndrome.

1 Like