GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

What happened next?

1 Like

Oh it is ya. Just shows his love for his club. He could name his price anywhere across the country but no, Henry is putting his own head on the block for the place where he calls home.

1 Like

Tony McEntee built the greatest club football team of all time along with Gareth O’Neill.

1 Like

Bizarre assumptions being made about Shefflin being arrogant.

I doubt he’s all that close to the current squad either. He’s 38 next year.

He’s smart enough to know what’s required. It’s bullshit to think lads should go through the grades.

3 Likes

The criticism of Shefflin here is shocking

He is managing his own club with a backroom team and coaching team around him. I imagine he was appointed by a club executive and didn’t appoint himself. I also suspect his appointment is well received in Ballyhale overall

I suspect the man has learned something about management under Cody,previous Ballyhale , WIT teams and has the smarts to learn from them and also apply some of his perspective on things. He is taking on his own club senior team. I am sure he could have got a few bob more expenses by starting out elsewhere. Jez you have to be a member of the Clare team of 1995 to manage Kilmacud.

And FFS I don’t get this whole work your way up through the ranks lark here as a manager , FFS he is taking over an amateur club not a county team, Real Madrid or the All Blacks. Surely a man with bags full of all stars, all Ireland medals , every other kind of medal, played under super managers, has half a brain, loves his club , has the respect of his players and is bringing in a backroom team with him is a reasonable appointment for a club team???

Fair play to Shefflin. maybe he would have got more kudos if he was managing a club team outside his own or pucking a few golf balls around a course

2 Likes

Some people think you need a to build your managerial “CV”

[quote=“carryharry, post:4384, topic:5676, full:true”]
Is the so called decline being blamed on previous management by the panel?
It will get messy trying to get players straightened out when he’s soildered with them & effectively been a big part presence due to IC commitments with KK.

Okay, his name & predigree will command respect but if methods and his personality as a manager change as they will the panel will sulk. It’s the main reason so many clubs bring in outsiders to avoid such situations which can become very messy.
[/quote

things can become messy with outsiders too

ask a few club teams in your own county

indeed ask a few inter county teams

it doesn’t come down to insiders or outsiders. it comes down to the calibre of the man

Shefflin may not be as experienced manager or coach but he has a coach on board with him. A lot of club manager appointments come with risk. Pot to dip into isn’t huge always. I think on balance it is a reasonable appointment and what definitely lacks balance is the criticism of Shefflin here talk of arrogance in taking on his own club team

I speculate there is as much chance of players rowing in behind Shefflin , his brother and management as there is rowing in behind an outside management team

yes that line suits some agendas and almost industry now

be nice to have a manager with a bit of previous manegerial on the CV I admit but some have expenses to be covered

appointing shefflin is hardly the act of lunacy and arrogance being portrayed by some here. I hope it works out for him and Ballyhale

Some Dublin fans reckon a bit of arrogance crept into the Dublin management this year in the manner of the press conference comments on the Connolly suspension and thinking they could win the all Ireland final with certain players picked to start in the final. Signs of lets win with our 15 rather than the best 15. Required luck and significant but absolutely required remedial action at half time to get out of jail on the calls made. There may have been no get out of jail against more clinical all Ireland final opposition than Mayo

1 Like

Sheffliibgtonshire a vile cunt

Any cunt could manage a Spud hockey team

3 Likes

Fuck off you inbred cunt,nobody gives a fuck about bogball

1 Like

Nawwww

Have you asked Henry that?

Plenty of success stories in players going straight into management in sports much more nuanced than GAA.

Jim Gavin started with a Dublin 21 football team. Spent a few successful years with them and went senior. He never managed his own club Round Towers though I am sure they would of been glad to have him.

In contrast Shefflin is starting with his own club and is being unfairly called arrogant for doing so. In a perfect world he probably would start with the u12s but I would guess like most clubs it’s a case of needs must

6 Likes

That’s a clamping.

1 Like

You just don’t get it pal Shefflin is a terrible appointment. It doesn’t matter that the lad hasn’t even held a training session yet he’s a failure

2 Likes

I take your point but I’d say Ballyhale hardly struggle to find a manager

Common sense at last.

He had been doing alot of coaching though.

Sheflin has not done a minute as far as i know