GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Henry Shefflin taking over Thomastown.

Willie Maher gone from Cuala

Are they senior?

Lost two intermediate finals in recent years. This year on pens to Lisdowney. They would be the best team on paper for it. John Donnelly would be their best player. John Joe Farrell got a few runs with the KK seniors also.

I’d assume Henry is biding his time for the big job. T-town could conceivably win the inter AI club next year.

Lost the last 2 intermediate finals.

They lost this years final on penalties after ET having been up by around 6 points with 10 minutes left in normal time.

I thought their ship had sailed but this might be the push they need to get them over the line.

I was wondering if he’d take a job where he’d have to come up again Ballyhale but that sounds like the ideal role really

Sounds like they’re nailed on to win it so a safe one for Henry to take.

Bizarre enough from Shefflin.

Doesn’t strike me as if his heart would really be in anything other than Ballyhale or Kilkenny.

Would you be a keen observer of intermediate hurling in Kilkenny?

1 Like

Not really.

It just seems a complete anti climax to go from managing your home club to B2B All Ireland’s to then go to some Intermediate Club.

I don’t know how his heart could be in it. He has done enough to be Cody’s successor anyway without this.

1 Like

You reckon a failure at intermediate level in Kilkenny would rule him out of the Kilkenny senior job?

I wond€r what could hi$ motivation b€

A hard championship to win but neatly guaranteed an AI win thereafter .

It won’t and neither will winning it make him any more likely to be Kilkenny Senior manager.

Maybe he wants to get out of the house or something which is fair enough, but I’m sure Ballyhale would take him back anyway as some sort of advisor if not manager outright.

Sure what more can he do there. No harm to test himself a bit

Not nailed on at all.

Danesfort are just down from senior and then you have the likes of Carrickshock, Glenmore and Gowran who are all in close proximity to Thomastown and would love nothing more than to beat them.

Thomastown are the strongest team on paper especially with Henry on board but any of the above could catch them out.

You’re overthinking this. Surprised you’re showing this much interest in Kilkenny Hurling to be honest.

I’m a bit disappointed being honest.

I had Henry down as being a OneLifeOneClub man.

It’s not like managing Thomastown is going to have any impact on Ballyhale

I get that. Fair enough if he wants to get out of the house a few evenings a week but I fail to see the appeal of this job. It seems a bit pointless really.

The man just has an interest. What harm.