GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Was the best underage prospect during my time anyway. Just didn’t have the attitude and got fucked up with injuries. A former county secretary wouldn’t sanction the costs for an MRI scan for him that would’ve shown up some problems he was having. He was hurling intermediate or junior with Oulart at times in the past season or two. Loads of natural ability but never seemed like he gave a shite. Not sure if it was on this site or another one I read it, but during one club game he (just for Appendage) apparently got injured and was lying on the ground. No-one came over to him so he just got up and walked off the pitch, took his gear from the dressing room and headed home without talking to anyway.

Very much doubt that. MRI scans cost around €250, if a team manager/doctor deemed it necessary then it would’ve happened.

Pikeman knows more about it than I do but Mick Kinsella wouldn’t let him go for it for some reason. This is about 5 years ago now so don’t know if that makes any different. There’s probably some other detail I may be missing.

Madness.

I’ll drink a pint of hot piss if this goes well.

At this day in age lads picking up IC managers jobs just because they played County is nuts. Its actually worse than ever.

There also seems to be a trend towards appointing former moderate hurlers from Clare. How long before the likes Fingers O’Connell and Conor Clancy get plum intercounty jobs too…

I really hope it goes well for Ollie

Joe Dooley will manage the Ireland hurling/shinty international team for the upcoming games in Athy and Inverness.

John Meyler will manage the under 21s.

Mon Ireland ta fuck

The Appointment Committee set up by Waterford Co Board will be recommending Michael Ryan as the new Hurling Manager

The cheapest option allegedly.

Unsurprisingly. Davy cost them a few quid I’d say.

Not to mention the treasurer who robbed them blind a few years ago.

When can we expect an announcement on the Limerick job?

JP is meeting Richie Bennis over the weekend to chat about it.

Have Waterford done much work on their facilities? They did up Walsh Park recently didn’t they? Shocking for them to be strapped for cash after one of the best decades in their history.

In general though, the GAA tends to be way behind when it comes to fundraising activity. I suppose the fact that they tend to have a broad base of support at club level in particular means that a lotto and a few race nights will keep them ticking over. But if you look at rugby by way of contrast, a friend of mine is involved with Galwegians and they are constantly fundraising. Always selling tickets and holding events of some sort. Especially now that county boards are a bit strapped all over the country, they need to step it up a bit.

You are right, and its all generations though. I made a few suggestions a few years ago about “Who wants to be a thousandaire” and a boxing tournament and a few other things and no way could i get support. And some of those were players. A year later Cork do a boxing tournament and someone else suggests it, still didn’t happen.Its more the fear for some guys of being left running the whole thing, and any lad who is a good organiser is hauled into something else years ago. This was something the AFL club were unreal at. A Coach, a physio and 2 masseur’s at every training and game had to be paid for, and this was not a big club, as well as a full time secretary and Club development officer. Thats at least 5K a week. Now the AFL subsidises clubs, but not that much either.

One great one they had was fines, 2 dollar fines. 2 of the older guys were in charge and you could be fined for anything every week, like something you said on Facebook, or being late, or doing something really shit at training or at a game. It created good craic, half was for end of season booze up, other half went to club. Simple but very effective.

:lol:

Will Mary Byrne (is that her name?) be a selector? I wouldn’t mind her selecting me, she is very hot.

Mary Byrne was the fat yoke from X Factor. Mary Kennedy is the somewhat comely co-host of Nationwide.

There’s something about Michael Ryan (RTE) that pretty much makes me laugh every time I see him. Not sure what it is.