GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Not the only exclusive you’ve delivered in there

1 Like

I’d give that a like on Twitter only I wouldn’t like anything on Twitter.

Michael O’Hehir.

7 Likes

It’s all about money for Mickey is the word I’m getting back. He’s mad for it.

Yeah you’d imagine he won’t be able to add that little attacking tweak Derry need to make that final step but it’s a Box Office appointment nonetheless and sustains the rise of Derry football. Hard to believe they were languishing in Division 4 as recently as 2019 and Joe Brolly had given up hope of ever beating Tyrone again.

I thought it was random to choose Louth at the time because they were in Division 4, didn’t have a huge amount coming through and weren’t exactly brimming with potential. He took them further than anyone expected and probably realised it was only downhill from there.

1 Like

Scrooge Mcduck GIF

1 Like

My sources in Bellaghy told me last January, RG was getting 60k sterling.

You’d think if it was money, Louth would be able to match and better whatever Derry could offer.

He wants to win an AI simple as.

I think it’s a super appointment for Derry. The optimum choice was stay with Gallagher who is superb but we know why they couldn’t and that’s fair enough. This appointment is as good as it gets. They’re getting a two time (or was it three time?) All Ireland winner of what before that was a minnow county. He was able to reinvent as he won it with different Tyrone teams many years apart. Things had gone stale there with Tyrone and he had run his course with them 100%. I presumed he was done after that but he pitched up at Louth and proved he could pull another minnow up by the boot straps. He brings massive instant bona fides and nous/experience. I would argue he’s a better manager now than when he left Tyrone as he was in a glass house there, he’ll have met new people with new ideas at Louth, honing different strategies as he was now with a big underdog. He’ll be all the better for this experience and he’s clever enough to know that Derry are close and he doesn’t need to reinvent the wheel there. I thought they had lost their chance after Gallagher but they’re right back in the mix again. He’ll be like a dog with a bone trying to win another one.

2 Likes

A lot of disparaging remarks about Mickey Harte because he’s a northerner.

The same wouldn’t be said about micko, Jack o Connor or Brian Cody.

1 Like

He won 3 (three) with Tyrone. 2003, 2005 and 2008. I wouldn’t say they were a minnow though. They’d never won an All-Ireland but they were strong competitors. Had won the National League in 2002 just before he’d taken charge and appeared in All-Ireland finals in 95’ and 86’. Harte took over a coming team who’d enjoyed plenty of underage success. Most of which he’d overseen of course.

None of them have been appointed as a new manager anywhere in the last 24 hours,stay on point please.

Its hilarious seeing Mugsy and a few more Tyrone lads losing their shit over this when another Tyrone was wearing the Derry Bainisteoir bib just two months ago.

It’ll be like Justin McCarthy going to Limerick

1 Like

Ger Loughnane to Galway?

That sprung to mind as well

Limerick and Galway were basket cases back then.

Derry are the real deal.

Great times

Or Davy to Waterford.

The only way Derry will win an all Ireland is if Dublin and Kerry don’t enter.The style they play will only get them so far.They need one if not two more forwards to help McGuigan out in order to win one.Harte is not the man for the job.

2 Likes