GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Never a good thing in any way shape or form.

Thanks Glen, thanks very much!!

Offaly born hobbyists can be very touchy about some mild & well intentioned online criticism, I’ve found myself.

8 Likes

Ryan is finished

That’s a pretty stupid conversation.

Ryan also got stuck into a stupid conversation after the duds bet them last year.

1 Like

Could he be the man that could take Mayo to All Ireland success? I’d say after Derry, he wouldn’t take on a team that wasn’t in the top 8 in the country.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0228/1434905-former-derry-manager-gallaghers-ban-lifted/

Nasty nasty business.

Galway should get comers and fat pat to pony up for him. Might bring a bit of guts to their play

Also heard he’s going to sue Ulster GAA - has previous for this type of litigation

I’d say Galway, Armagh and Mayo could be the frontrunners. Maybe Cork from a population standpoint and his proven ability to get lads onboard. He hasn’t passed the final hurdle yet, mind.

1 Like

Meath

I expect to see him rock up in Kilcoo alongside Lacey.

His ego wouldn’t allow it. He’s shooting for Sam. Meath are beyond help.

Sure Derry were as low as Meath are now when he took them over, lower actually, they’d just been promoted out of Division 4 and failed to get out of Division 3 in Gallagher’s first year in charge. They were beaten at home in the 2019 qualifiers by Laois. Laois!

Meath have always been an ideal “project” for a top coach who wants a challenge, it’s just none of them have ever taken it on and there’s an institutional inertia in that county that leads them to appoint hapless native managers who live in 1988.

Derry were such a project.

Under a very good coach, those counties with potential like Meath, Cork, Donegal, Derry, Galway, Mayo, Down, Armagh, Kildare, they should never be too far away from being in the shake up.

1 Like

There’s plenty teams you could describe as gutless before Galway. What gives?

They’re soft - when push comes to shove in the really big games they’re found wanting especially considering the potential they’re supposed to have.

Cork be ideal. Far enough away from Ulster for him to work away out of the limelight. No one gives a fuck about Cork football until they get somewhere, and it’ll be too late for anyone to realise then.

They’re used to deviants down there, and they’ll love all the hand spitting.

Its Cork.

1 Like

Don’t know any big game recently that they’ve lost that I would put down to being soft. Since the 2022 AI final they’ve just been riddled with injuries so they’ve ended up losing games they probably would have won with a healthy squad. Actually thought they put up a good fight against Derry at the weekend given that they had an FBD league selection out on the field.

1 Like

That claim could be levelled at every team except the all ireland winners each year.

I wouldn’t have said it about Kerry or Derry last year. Actually thought Derry outperformed in the first half of the semi last year.

Monaghan were soft last year because they didn’t win the All-Ireland.