GAA Mavericks

[QUOTE=“Elvis Brandenberg Kremmen, post: 1101760, member: 1624”]Well done @Sidney. Usually these Picklington tomes you write are load of old trout but I enjoyed that one, particularly the bit about Biddy getting killed.

That’s also probably the bit that King Roaster @Mac bust out laughing at.[/QUOTE]

It was either the Mullinavat Vegas line or the butter and milk one.

that’s very well done, also exploring the PK interview style was a nice twist, PK does tend to give a commentary on his interviews in between questioning and Sid got this.
Digressing, there was one of these from a while back that i laughed at also, cant find it here but it went along the lines of,

• Canice was very surprised to learn of the developments on situation involving his club on such a controversial issue

" i was surprised" , said Canice.

you’d have to read the full piece to appreciate what a showstopper it was for the reader expecting a detailed few lines as to why he was in shock, but this was all the renowned Canice was giving away

Good work there Sid, the bit about Vegas is very neat.

:clap::clap:

That’s excellent, @Sidney. Very clever, witty and nuanced. Thick cunts won’t appreciate the humour.

id agree
there is something very ungentlemanly and almost primative about a man who cannot appreciate subtlety in humour
i suppose to appreciate one first needs to understand

"No, probably not " was my favourite line. :slight_smile:

That was good now in fairness
The bit about what was the root of his catholic guilt ?

"Brian Cody I’d say 
 "

Literally did laugh out loud.

You should do something with that one sid. Setup a blog or some such

As has been pointed out I’d like to think it’s quite nuanced but that means it’ll fly over the heads of most people. That Kilkenny players are boring is accepted currency around here but people in the wider world tend to be simpletons. I think you’d nearly have to have been following it from the start to get it.

“shopping for groceries inside in the city.” :clap:

You can post them all up sure

Worth a try anyway. You’d have a WordPress site up and running in a few hours your own URL to less than a tenner a month.

Very good. Hadn’t read any of them until now. The KK lads are seething.

[FONT=Georgia]Caught At Long Gone - A Trip Down Cricket’s Memory Lane[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]From Cricket Ireland Magazine[/FONT]

The 1869 All-Ireland County Cricket Championship final - Kilkenny v Wexford
by Seoirse Óg Balbirnie

Ireland’s unfancied cricketers may be doing the country proud at the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand at the moment but the Boys in Green might well have been one of the favourites to win the tournament had the cricket strongholds of the south-east of the country maintained their former strength.

The All-Ireland County Championship attracted large crowds throughout the 1850s, 1860s and 1870s and was the country’s premier sporting competition of the time.

Cork, Tipperary, Dublin, Antrim, Tyrone and Kildare all had excellent teams.

However the dominant sides came from the south-east. Waterford and Wexford were widely admired for their swashbuckling batsmen and aggressive bowling. But the team they all had to beat was Kilkenny.

It was said in the 1860s that cricketers grew on the impressive willow trees that lined the banks of the Nore, such was Kilkenny’s prowess with ball and bat. It’s no exaggeration to say the game was a religion in the Marble City and its surrounding hinterland.

In 1869, Kilkenny, going for four All-Ireland county championships in a row, met Wexford in the final.

There was huge public interest, and special trains were laid on to bring supporters from both counties to Dublin. The famous “bank” overlooking the College Park pitch at Dublin University was full with spectators.

Many of the names we now associate with Kilkenny hurling, such as Larkin, Tennyson, Welsh and Walsh were present on the Kilkenny line-out of that day.

Ten times All-Ireland hurling medallist Canice Picklington’s great great great grandfather James E. Picklington (the common hurling nickname “Jamesie” was originally derived from his name) was also a player on the Kilkenny team that day.

“It’s a proud piece of family history, I suppose, and it’s nice to know given the success of the Irish cricket team at the moment. I’m not a huge cricket fan, but it’s great to see them do well, as it’s good for the country”, said Canice, when I contacted him as part of my research for this article.

But the final turned out to be an ill-tempered affair and Picklington takes up the story.

“I’ve heard the story of what happened, alright. It was 50/50 (as it always is in Kilkenny-Wexford matches) on the fifth day of the final, and it looked like a draw might be on the cards. The All-Ireland title was shared in the event of a draw in those days. But the captain, Richie “Cha” de Clare, decided that even though Kilkenny had six wickets left in their second innings, that instead of settling for a draw they’d stop batting and go for the win. This was very controversial as it was apparently against the etiquette of the game. In fact it was so controversial that it became known as a “de Clare”, in a similar way to how the word Boycott became commonplace after the peasants in Mayo boycotted that lad Boycott - not the cricket lad, now, the other fella.”

"Wexford were chasing a target of 198 to win, and they were doing very well. They were on something like 130 for 3 at tea. So Jamesie felt that something had to be done.

“While everybody was in drinking tea in the pavilion, he secretly went out and did a bit of a piss on the wicket! That apparently proved to be the crucial moment - it enabled the team’s star fast bowler Harold Shefflington to get the vital reverse swing which bamboozled the Wexford batsmen. The Wexford lads collapsed to 179/8 and then started complaining. Jamesie said it was just a bit of vinegar that he’d sprinkled on the wicket for good luck. The umpire Kirwan said that was fair enough, waved play on and Wexford were bowled out one run short of their target.”

“After the end of the match the Wexford lads were apparently fierce angry and there was a bit of a fight in the pavilion. That was the end of Wexford as a cricket force and they never reached another final. The Wexford players made for the train still in their gear. The legend goes that there was more steam coming out their ears than from the engine that was pulling the train.”

It was the end of a golden era for Irish cricket as the next year, a young man who had stood on “the Bank” to watch that dramatic final day, Edward Carson (then known to his friends as “Eamon”), was involved in the meeting at Dublin University that codified a new game, “hurley”. And the story of Irish sport would change forever.

The teams in that final lined out as follows:

Kilkenny
G.K. Skehan
L.Y. Meagher
M.J. Aylward
P.J. De Lainey
T.J. Welsh
R.W. de Clare ©
J.J. Tennyson
W.G. Larkin
J.E. Picklington
L.K. Walsh
H.P. Shefflington

Wexford
P.J. Codd ©
A.R. Doran
E.T. Wheeler
D.P. Dempsey
L.I. Chinne
M.P. Jacob
M.T. Forde
M.A. Dockrell
D.O.C. Connors
F.R. Fortune
F.U. Kilkenny

Umpire: D.E. Kirwan (Cork)

De Clare :clap:

[B]Fitzgerald and Clarkson “trading places” for TV3 documentary

Niamh Horan, Sunday Independent

March 15th, 2015[/B]

Clare hurling manager Davy Fitzgerald and controversial “Top Gear” presenter Jeremy Clarkson are to swap places for a new episode of the TV3 documentary series, “The Toughest Trade”.

Fitzgerald will slot into Clarkson’s role as co-presenter of the BBC motoring series alongside Richard Hammond and James May and also write self-styled, gratuitously offensive, non-PC columns for the Sunday Times, while Clarkson will manage Clare for the rest of the National Hurling League and this year’s championship.

The TV3 show has received positive reviews so far - the first episode, which aired on Thursday night, featured former Tottenham and England soccer star David Bentley playing with the Crossmaglen Rangers Gaelic football team, while Crossmaglen’s Aaron Kernan went to train with Sunderland FC and Kilkenny hurler Jackie Tyrrell tried his hand at baseball.

The “swap” deal has been described as “beneficial to both parties”, given their respective current difficulties. Fitzgerald is having a tough time with Clare amid allegations from angry former panel members that he is a bully , while Clarkson is currently suspended by the BBC after punching a producer.

“Yeah, I’m really looking to working with Richard (Hammond) and James (May)”, said Fitzgerald. "I’m already well used to working as part of a group of three with Seoirse (Bulfin) and Paul (Kinnerk), so I’d see myself slotting in perfectly.

“I’m looking forward to shouting “drive it” for a change, given that I’m always shouting at the Clare lads to go for a short pass.”

“I suppose the gratuitous racism, xenopobia and misogynistic rhetoric is something I’ll have to learn on the job but I’m always eager to learn, and I’m sure it’ll come quickly working in that environment.”

“Davy was the perfect choice, really, given that Jeremy won’t be available to us for the foreseeable future”, said Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman. “We needed an arrogant bully who buys into his own hype and portrays himself as an outsider, and he certainly fits that bill. Richard Hammond is also very happy that he’ll no longer be seen as the midget in the studio. We are a bit concerned however that Davy won’t be tall enough to see through the windscreen of some of the larger cars we feature on the show, so that’s something we’ll have to work around. We’ll probably use him to condescendingly review some small cars like the new Fiat Cinquecento or some Korean or Malaysian piece of shit.”

Assistant producer Oisin Tymon, the victim of Clarkson’s alleged assault, is also said to be happy that he’ll be working with a presenter who won’t make fun of his Irishness.

Managing Clare will certainly be a new experience for Clarkson. “I haven’t a fucking clue what hurling is, I always thought it was when you got sick in the toilet after a completely mad night out with the lads, but I’m told it’s actually some stupid Irish sport”, said the suspended Top Gear presenter.

“Davy has told me that the players are lazy and there’s a serious drink and drug problem in the team, although I could have guessed that already with them being Irish. It’s lucky I’ve already earned so much money at the BBC given that I’m not going to be getting paid to manage the team.”

“I’ll be putting the players on a strict diet of potatoes, because as far as I know that’s all they eat in Ireland. Are they still bombing the shit out of each other there?”

Clarkson has already had a crash course in Clare hurling history.

“I’m told when they won some tournament years ago, the captain shouted “the famine is over”, but I never knew the famine in Ireland had ended, although apparently it has. How many people died in it, again?”

Despite yesterday’s win over Dublin, Clarkson still faces a tough battle to keep Clare in Division 1 of the National Hurling League and there’s also a Munster Championship showdown against Limerick on the horizon.

“Limerick? Isn’t that a type of poem? What’s with the names of these teams, anyway? Cork? That’s something you pop out of a bottle of wine. Tipp? That’s something you get for the bookies. Wexford? Are they named after Inspector Wexford or something? Anyway, isn’t Clare a girl’s name? What the hell’s going on there? I hope it’s not a team of girls I’m going to be managing, although, come to think of it, maybe I do
(guffaws). Can you get “The Sun” in Clare, by the way?”

Asked what he knew about the Clare team, Clarkson responded: "Nothing, but I hear Paddy and Mick are good players so they’ll be the first name on the team sheet. When they asked me to train they the team my first reaction was “Fine, fine, but I’m going to manage them, not train them, I don’t want my name being associated with anything even vaguely related with public transport. I was delighted to hear they have a motorway there. I didn’t even know they had roads, so it came as a big relief. Anyway, I’m sure before long I’ll have them in Top Gear (guffaws again).”

Decluttering the room, decluttering the mind

Life coach, Feng Shui advisor to the All-Ireland-winning Dublin football team and face of the BBC TV show “Changing Rooms”, Dr. Diarmuid Couch, and renowned sports psychologist and Thinkfulness expert Enda McNulty speak to me about CUSHION, the revolutionary new seven step programme for individual environmental wellness which they have developed

A love of Gaelic football unites Dr. Diarmuid Couch and Enda McNulty. The Dublin football feng shui guru and the former Armagh corner back, Thinkfulness expert and sports psychologist have both tasted All-Ireland success in their respective roles. Now they have teamed up to throw a CUSHION at us.

In the the two months since the CUSHION concept was launched, it has taken Ireland by storm. Celebrity advocates include Cork camogie captain Ashling Thompson, fitness guru Pat Divilly and former Blizzards frontman and mental health advocate “Bressie”.

The initial idea came from McNulty as a complementary philosophy to his existing “Flying High” concept.

"I spoke to Jim Gavin a couple of years ago when we were watching the same Sigerson Cup match in UCD. At half-time I asked Jim about his job as an Air Corps pilot. It was at that point that the concept of “Flying High” entered my head, a concept I’ve since utilised to much success with clients.

“But, however much we’d like to, we can’t fly high all the time. I needed a complementary philosophy for those more down to earth moments, for the everyday.”

“When we fly high, we need to land safely. If we fall, we need something to cushion our fall. Failure is merely an opportunity to start again more intelligently. Thus the concept of CUSHION was born. Jim never stopped talking about Diarmuid and what a difference the introduction of feng shui principles had made to the Dublin team. Diarmuid was the obvious man to bounce my ideas off. He’s an innovator. We’ve been exchanging ideas now for over a year and the programme came out of that.”

Couch is currently basking in the afterglow of helping Dublin to another All-Ireland, His now famous pre-match speech was credited by several players for the victory.

"The best dreams happen when you’re awake. I stood on the team bus and spoke from the heart. I told the lads “It’s going to be wet out there today, very wet. What you must do is believe that the water that will pour from the sky today is with you. Water gives life. But in the wrong circumstances, water can also take away life. We must use it to our advantage and Kerry’s disadvantage. As soon as we reach the dressing room, I want every member of this team to go straight to the showers, stand under one of them in the clothes you are wearing now, turn it on to full power, and wait until you are thoroughly soaked.”

“I told them, “That shower you will stand under, think of it as a “shower of power”, transmitting positive, life giving, life affirming positive energy to you.””

“They thought I was mad. I got some strange looks, alright, even from Jim Gavin”, says Couch, grinning. “But each and every player did it. In fact, when all the players had returned to the main dressing room area and dried themselves off, several players said to me what a beneficial experience it had been for them in terms of clearing their heads for the task at hand. It was at that moment that I knew we were going to win the All-Ireland.”

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

The CUSHION philosophy

CUSHION is based on seven key principles. These are

1. Competing
  2. Understanding
  3. Soldiering
  4. Helping
  5. Innovating
  6. Optimising
  7. Nourishing

“I see CUSHION as not just something that can benefit elite sportspeople, it’s something that everybody can live by and benefit from”, says Couch.

Principle 1: Competing:
Couch is clear that “We all compete, be it in the sporting arena or in the arena of everyday life. We compete for jobs, we compete in love, we compete in who can have the most expensive car, the nicest house or the most money. Competition is what drives us as humans. This is natural and as it should be. Principle 1 of CUSHION recognises this fact.”

Principle 2: Understanding:
McNulty: “Understanding is key, as we recognise in Principle 2. Understanding ourselves, understanding our limits, understanding that the only limits are those we set ourselves, understanding that by understanding ourselves better there need be no limits to what we can all achieve.”

Principle 3: Soldiering:
“Through all of this process we need to work, graft and fight. We call this “Soldiering””, says McNulty.

“Nothing worth having comes easy. By “soldiering”, you commit to fight for the cause, whatever that cause may be. By committing to fight for whatever it is you want, you have already won. In the knowledge that you are already a winner, victory is inevitable.”

Principle 4: Helping:
“We are a social species”, says Couch. “We all need help. No man is an island. He must reach out. He must engage. Pooling our collective talents harmoniously to make a greater whole is what both football and life are about. We all have weaknesses. The night before Dublin’s All-Ireland semi-final replay against Mayo, I got the whole team to gather around and listen to that great old classic by The Hollies, “He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother”. Although Alan and Bernard Brogan initially thought I was playing a joke on them, I assured them I wasn’t, that this was for the whole team (although unfortunately Diarmuid Connolly, who was at that time at a DRA hearing, didn’t hear it.). By the end of the song, they understood. They knew. They knew they were all brothers and that they were there to help each other on the pitch. And that’s what they did.”

Principle 5: Innovating
Always moving forward is very important for any person, says McNulty. "Innovation never sleeps. We’re constantly moving forward. Steve Jobs knew the value of innovation, so did Alexander Graham Bell, so did Johan Sebastian Bach, so did the man who invented the concept of having a rubber on top of a pencil.

What worked today may not work tomorrow. I tell my clients to think of themselves as a shark. If you don’t keep moving forward, you’ll die. When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. Innovation never sleeps."

Principle 6: Optimising
“Optimising is may favourite word”, says Couch. “It doesn’t mean anything, and that’s the beauty of it. It can mean whatever you want it to mean. You’re the boss. You’re in control. With control comes power, with power comes self-confidence. With self-confidence comes the flowering of the human ability to its fullest.”

Principle 7: Nourishing
“Nouishing doesn’t just refer to food, although obviously that’s part of it too”, says McNulty. "Nourishing your mind and your soul with positivity is even more important, though. They complement each other. Nourishing promotes growth. Growth in mind, spirit, body. I like to nourish my clients with positive motivational thoughts and memes at every oppurtunity, and as a public service I have made these powerful tools of the mind available to the general public on my Twitter page, @Enda_McNulty.

Dr. Diarmuid Couch and Enda McNulty will join Bressie for a nationwide tour of Thinkfulness workshops in February 2016, where they will speak about the CUSHION concept in practice.

Bookings available at www.cushionIRL.ie

2 Likes

Brilliant.

Love this bit particularly.

“Optimising is may favourite word”, says Couch. "It doesn’t mean anything, and that’s the beauty of it.

Its sad, and something i have struggled with in my repatriation(as in dealing with what assholes everyone has become), that a country that was known for its mindfulness now has to be told by some lad who has read a few books how to be mindful.

The reason this kind of stuff exists, like most new therapies its just common sense, is that there is a need for it and people have stopped to be taught mindfulness etc by overworked parents and teachers.

Its all a bit ridiculous in a way, but it is modern life. And if this shot takes the asshole out of a few of the Modern Irish Neo-Asshole then i suppose thats a good thing.

McNulty would give you an awful pain in the hole. But Pat Divilly, he needs shooting.

2 Likes

I see Joe approves of this story but no credit given to TFK