GAA Mavericks

:eek:

Sid = Cancie Picklington

Anyone hear about some Tyrone player in video?

[B]Picklington reveals council on Local Election plans as he celebrates eighth League medal

Babs Keats, South Kilkenny Standard (incorporating the Mullinavat Bugle), May 5th, 2014
[/B]
Legendary Kilkenny hurling stalwart Canice Picklington was the surprise name on the Fianna Fail ticket for the upcoming Local Elections, as the deadline for nominations passed last Friday.

The nine-times All-Ireland medallist has put his name forward for election to Kilkenny County Council in the Thomastown ward. The surprise move comes with less than three weeks to go before the election on Friday May 23rd, but in the words of local political observers, “has blown the race wide open.”

Picklington was in the news yeasterday amid more familiar surroundings as he played a key part in Kilkenny’s third NHL title in a row, as the Cats prevailed over old rivals Tipperary by just a point after extra-time in a Thurles thriller. Asked last night for his thoughts on his upcoming election battle, he explained how the nomination came about.

“I was never that much of a political animal in the past, I suppose, although I was approached by both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael about running, not just in the Local Elections but in the General Election, but I didn’t feel the time was right and it wasn’t something I wanted to do at that point. However I got involved in the “Yes” campaign for the last European referendum after being asked by my local TDs Phil Hogan and John McGuinness and I found that very enjoyable, I must say. Myself and Brian Cody worked together on that campaign and I suppose we would have had some very interesting discussions about politics at that time, and he encouraged me to throw my name into the political ring at some point in the future, so it was always there at the back of my mind after that.”

Asked for why the time was now right, Picklington had a simple answer. “Why not?”

But why Fianna Fail? “Why not? Although I wasn’t a party member or anything like that I would have always had great respect for the likes of my friend John McGuinness and Bob Aylward, who are both great hurling men, although of course I’d also have great respect for Phil Hogan as well. I suppose it would have been 50-50 between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael as to which I’d represent if I ever did decide to stand. But Fianna Fail asked me this time and I decided to go for it.”

Picklington was coy when asked if his late parachuting into the race had caused any disquiet among the already established party grass roots. “Ah no, I don’t think so. John and Bob told me that my name recognition factor would be a help in getting out the vote for the party as a whole and make the ticket stronger as a whole. I’ve spoken to our other candidates and they seem to be grand with it. I’m told it’s not uncommon for candidates to be parachuted late into election races and I suppose it’s appropriate as my favourite album is “Parachutes” by Coldplay” (laughs).

The sixteen year Kilkenny inter-county veteran was clear about his manifesto. “I’d like to think that I’m not just another celebrity candidate. We need change, I suppose. People out there on the ground are finding it very difficult and I want to improve their lot. We need to get Ireland back to work and Kilkenny back to work. We need to send a firm message to the rest of Ireland and to Europe that Kilkenny is open for business. We’ve some great companies down here like Glanbia, who I’m lucky enough to work for myself, and great people. I suppose I’m probably biased here but I look at Kilkenny and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. We have great tourist potential, I mean look at the Cat Laughs festival and the Kilkenomics festival. I don’t much about comedy or economics but they’re great for the area, I suppose, and they bring a real buzz.”

The election campaign comes at a time when Picklington finds himself extremely busy with hurling commitments, in fact as I talk to him he’s celebrating his eighth National Hurling League medal after yesterday’s win over Tipperary. “Yeah, it was great to get the win. It’s always nice going to Thurles and every trophy means a lot to us. I wouldn’t say it was a classic hurling-wise but we feel we’ve still room for improvement. We’ll have a small bit of a celebration tonight but it’ll be back to serious business this week as we prepare for Offaly inside in the Park on June 7th. That’ll be a very tough match and we know the type of performance we put in yesterday won’t be enough to win that. We’d always have great respect for Offaly hurling and they’ll be a very dangerous opponent - we were very lucky to get out of Tullamore with a win last year. We’re treating it as a 50-50 match. So there’s a lot of work ahead of us.”

And on the doorsteps as well, obviously, over the coming weeks? “Definitely. I’m looking forward to getting out and meeting everybody. That’s part of it, I suppose. I’m always willing to listen to what people have to say and I hope they’ll like what I have to say. It’s going to be a big challenge, but I’ve never shirked away from a challenge in my life on a hurling pitch and I’ve no plans to shirk away from a challenge in politics.”

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 940672, member: 183”][B]Picklington reveals council on Local Election plans as he celebrates eighth League medal

Babs Keats, South Kilkenny Standard (incorporating the Mullinavat Bugle), May 5th, 2014
[/B]
Legendary Kilkenny hurling stalwart Canice Picklington was the surprise name on the Fianna Fail ticket for the upcoming Local Elections, as the deadline for nominations passed last Friday.

The nine-times All-Ireland medallist has put his name forward for election to Kilkenny County Council in the Thomastown ward. The surprise move comes with less than three weeks to go before the election on Friday May 23rd, but in the words of local political observers, “has blown the race wide open.”

Picklington was in the news yeasterday amid more familiar surroundings as he played a key part in Kilkenny’s third NHL title in a row, as the Cats prevailed over old rivals Tipperary by just a point after extra-time in a Thurles thriller. Asked last night for his thoughts on his upcoming election battle, he explained how the nomination came about.

“I was never that much of a political animal in the past, I suppose, although I was approached by both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael about running, not just in the Local Elections but in the General Election, but I didn’t feel the time was right and it wasn’t something I wanted to do at that point. However I got involved in the “Yes” campaign for the last European referendum after being asked by my local TDs Phil Hogan and John McGuinness and I found that very enjoyable, I must say. Myself and Brian Cody worked together on that campaign and I suppose we would have had some very interesting discussions about politics at that time, and he encouraged me to throw my name into the political ring at some point in the future, so it was always there at the back of my mind after that.”

Asked for why the time was now right, Picklington had a simple answer. “Why not?”

But why Fianna Fail? “Why not? Although I wasn’t a party member or anything like that I would have always had great respect for the likes of my friend John McGuinness and Bob Aylward, who are both great hurling men, although of course I’d also have great respect for Phil Hogan as well. I suppose it would have been 50-50 between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael as to which I’d represent if I ever did decide to stand. But Fianna Fail asked me this time and I decided to go for it.”

Picklington was coy when asked if his late parachuting into the race had caused any disquiet among the already established party grass roots. “Ah no, I don’t think so. John and Bob told me that my name recognition factor would be a help in getting out the vote for the party as a whole and make the ticket stronger as a whole. I’ve spoken to our other candidates and they seem to be grand with it. I’m told it’s not uncommon for candidates to be parachuted late into election races and I suppose it’s appropriate as my favourite album is “Parachutes” by Coldplay” (laughs).

The sixteen year Kilkenny inter-county veteran was clear about his manifesto. “I’d like to think that I’m not just another celebrity candidate. We need change, I suppose. People out there on the ground are finding it very difficult and I want to improve their lot. We need to get Ireland back to work and Kilkenny back to work. We need to send a firm message to the rest of Ireland and to Europe that Kilkenny is open for business. We’ve some great companies down here like Glanbia, who I’m lucky enough to work for myself, and great people. I suppose I’m probably biased here but I look at Kilkenny and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. We have great tourist potential, I mean look at the Cat Laughs festival and the Kilkenomics festival. I don’t much about comedy or economics but they’re great for the area, I suppose, and they bring a real buzz.”

The election campaign comes at a time when Picklington finds himself extremely busy with hurling commitments, in fact as I talk to him he’s celebrating his eighth National Hurling League medal after yesterday’s win over Tipperary. “Yeah, it was great to get the win. It’s always nice going to Thurles and every trophy means a lot to us. I wouldn’t say it was a classic hurling-wise but we feel we’ve still room for improvement. We’ll have a small bit of a celebration tonight but it’ll be back to serious business this week as we prepare for Offaly inside in the Park on June 7th. That’ll be a very tough match and we know the type of performance we put in yesterday won’t be enough to win that. We’d always have great respect for Offaly hurling and they’ll be a very dangerous opponent - we were very lucky to get out of Tullamore with a win last year. We’re treating it as a 50-50 match. So there’s a lot of work ahead of us.”

And on the doorsteps as well, obviously, over the coming weeks? “Definitely. I’m looking forward to getting out and meeting everybody. That’s part of it, I suppose. I’m always willing to listen to what people have to say and I hope they’ll like what I have to say. It’s going to be a big challenge, but I’ve never shirked away from a challenge in my life on a hurling pitch and I’ve no plans to shirk away from a challenge in politics.”[/QUOTE]
You must have some time on your hands. Tell me, is it meant to be funny or amusing in some way?

We can’t all be as busy as Canice. Nevertheless, a spare 45 minutes does it - in fact it practically writes itself, really. Takes nearly as long to iron out the spelling mistakes, which I now notice I didn’t entirely do.

Picklington wins seat in Local Elections

Maura Gonne-Goyra, Sunday Cat, May 25, 2014

Kilkenny legend Canice Picklington has proved equally as successful in his suprise foray into politics as he is on the hurling pitch, winning a seat on Kilkenny County Council in the Local Elections at his first attempt. The star forward topped the poll for Fianna Fail in the Thomastown ward, just three weeks after he was unveiled as a candidate.

Amid incredible scenes at the Springhill Hotel in Kilkenny, Picklington was chaired high on the shoulders of members of his campaign team as he exceeded the quota on the first count.

“I’m humbled, I suppose”, was Picklington’s initial reaction. “I’m humbled that the people of my area have placed their confidence in me, and I can assure them that I intend to repay it”, he continued. “The campaign was a real rollercoaster ride. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed getting out there and meeting all the great people in my area. All that canvassing was very tiring but it’s like training for an All-Ireland, I suppose - no pain, no gain.”

Veteran Kilkenny political commentator JJ De Buitlear says the overwhelming nature of Picklington’s election was a surprise, but not unforeseeable. “I suppose Canice would have great name recognition in the area, and what he’s been part of on the hurling pitch has been a great source of pride to people here. He’s been a very visible presence on the ground over the last three weeks, and people have seen the effort he’s put in. All that allied to his humble nature made for a winning package with the voters. He’s transfer-friendly, although I suppose Canice would argue that in the best GAA tradition, he never had any interest in transfers as he’s always been a one-club man.”

Picklington’s presence on the ticket in Kilkenny helped Fianna Fail to achieve its highest vote percentage of any county in Ireland - 34%. Picklington was modest when it was put to him that he’d been a major factor in this success. “I’m only a very small part of it, to be honest. We’ve great people all across the county, they’re out every day on the doorsteps canvassing, they’re there every day organising, and they’re the ones who deserve the credit as far as I’m concerned, and I’d just like to take this oppurtunity to pay tribute to them - I couldn’t have done this without them.”

It was a colourful day all round at the count, as proceedings were bizarrely interrupted by a hen party which was staying at the Springhill Hotel. “I’ve never seen anything like it”, said Picklington. “We were waiting around trying to get word of the tallies, and waiting for the boxes to be opened, when a load of young ones charged in in their costumes, blow up dolls and all. We thought at first it was some kind of protest, but then we quickly realised that it was a hen party. I suppose it made the day all the more special in the end. A few of them wanted to get their photograph taken with me, and I was happy to oblige, as it’s always nice to help out - I made sure to avoid being pictured with the dolls, though. We had a bit of laugh about the L plates some of them had pinned to their costumes - I joked that perhaps I should have had one pinned to my suit, as it’s my first time contesting an election” (laughs).

Picklington is by far the most successful of the celebrity candidates to run in the Local, European or by-elections which took place on Friday. At the time of writing, Fine Gael’s Kenneth Egan, an Olympic boxing silver medallist in 2008, faced a close fight for a seat in Dublin’s Clondalkin ward, while former middle-distance runner Eamonn Coghlan, also of Fine Gael, lost his race for the Dail seat in the Dublin West by-election.

“As I said when I was unveiled a few weeks back, I didn’t want to think of myself as just another celebrity candidate”, says Picklington. “In Fianna Fail we like to leave that kind of thing to Fine Gael, although I suppose if circumstances were diffferent I could have ended up on the Fine Gael team.”

Asked how realistic a possibility it was that he could have stood for Fine Gael, Picklington was honest. “Ah, I suppose it was realistic enough at one stage. It was pretty much 50-50 to be honest, but I’m glad I joined Fianna Fail. People say that Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are very similar policy-wise, but I can tell you now that’s not the case. They voted for the Treaty, whereas we didn’t.”

“But look it, I’d have great respect for both Kenny, sorry Kenneth, and for Eamonn. Myself and Kenneth would know each other fairly well from the RTE Sports Awards in 2008 when we were both nominated for Sports Personality of the Year. He’s a good lad and of course he has family roots here n Kilkenny too. We had a good night in Coppers after those awards - Eamon Dunphy tagged along with us. I remember I would have been winding up Eamon the whole night about him arguing on the panel that I should have won the award - but I think Kenny was far more deserving in fairness. Kenny is some man, I’ll tell you that - you should have seen him pressing the flesh in Copper’s that night, and to be honest I’m surprised he’s not won a seat more easily considering his skills at going up and chatting to people, particularly pretty young girls.”

Reflecting on his success, Picklington is proud, but typically modest. “I suppose I’m just delighted to be part of the strongest Fianna Fail vote in the country here in Kilkenny. The people have spoken clearly and the message is that they want change, and we aim to bring that change to them.”

:rolleyes:

What a waste of time

When you’re as gifted a writer as I am, it doesn’t waste much. Waste not, want not, as Canice would say (on both the issues of recycling and good shooting oppurtunities).

Picklington on the brink of history after epic semi-final win

Norman English-Welsh, South Kilkenny Standard (incorporating the Mullinavat Bugle), August 12th, 2014

As I caught up with Kilkenny veteran Canice Picklington in the bowels of Croke Park after Sunday’s thrilling All-Ireland hurling semi-final win over Limerick, I thought I saw a tear roll down his cheek, after what had been a hugely emotional afternoon. But I was wrong.

“Ah no, that was only the rain. It’s still coming down out of my hair. I’ve never been wetter than that. 'Twas unbelieveable, like. I’ve never played in anything like it. We wouldn’t get much of that kind of thing down in the sunny south-east, so it made life difficult for us, I suppose.”

As for the match itself, Kilkenny encountered their toughest test of the year so far (with apologies to Galway), and Picklington knew he’d been in a battle and a half afterwards.

“Twas very tough, like. Limerick were ferocious in their intensity. They were manly. We were just glad to get out of it with the win, and I suppose that’s the ultimate tribute to Limerick’s performance. The rain probably helped them, but they made full use of the conditions to turn the game to their advantage for a while. I suppose people would say that both teams were in the same boat as far as the conditions were concerned, but when the rain eased off a bit we steadied the ship.”

I presume those puns were intended, Canice (laughs)?

“Not at all. I don’t joke about hurling, especially about as important a match as this.”

After Kilkenny being the victim of such injustice last year, Picklington was surprisingly more conciliatory about the controversial decision from referee James McGrath not to send off the already yellow carded Donal O’Grady for a trip on Richie Power as he bore down on goal inside the last ten minutes.

"Ah, I think it was fair enough, like. The people moaning about these tackles have never played the game. We don’t have cynicism in hurling the way you have in football. The tackles by JJ (in the first half on Shane Dowling) and Donal O’Grady were honest, manly attempts to play the ball. They were fouls and no more. "

Picklington described the feeling in the Kilkenny camp was now that they are into the final.

“Ah yeah, 'tis great to be into another final. I suppose it would have been what we’ve been building towards all year. We always felt that we were unfairly victimised last year and that’s driven us on this year. We always believed in ourselves, I suppose.”

Picklington and Henry Shefflin now stand on the brink of history, with both men now just one game away from a historic tenth All-Ireland medal. But he won’t be letting that cloud his thoughts too much ahead the All-Ireland final.

“Ah yeah, I suppose we would be aware of the significance of it, but at the same time we’ll be treating it as just another match. We’ll be treating it like we’d treat a Welsh Cup match in January. But then again we treat the first round of the Welsh Cup like you would an All-Ireland, because every match is very important to us.”

Shefflin was the crucial to the win, according to his long-time friend and colleague.

“Henry always gives us a lift when he comes on. People might say he did nothing when he came on but that’s not how we see it at all - he was crucial to the win - in fact I’d say he was the key factor, but then again he always is. That’s Henry for you.”

Sunday September 7th promises to be a big day all round for Kilkenny hurling, with the minor team reaching the decider for the first time since 2010.

"It’s nice to see the minors get into the final as well. That way we know the future of Kilkenny hurling is secure. The likes of myself, Henry, JJ and Jackie would be very aware that we’re only passing through and keeping the jersey warm for somebody else, and if our success has inspired the young lads in the county, that’s the most important thing as far as we’re concerned, I suppose. The jerseys today weren’t too warm, mind. You’d have caught pneumonia out there if you didn’t take them off straight after the final whistle (laughs). "

The All-Ireland final will be a traditional affair regardless of the result of the second semi-final and Picklington knows that the winner will be a huge barrier in his quest for history.

“Ah yeah, Cork or Tipp, whoever comes through, I suppose, will be a huge test. I suppose I don’t really mind what the result is either way, to be honest, I suppose we’ve no control over it so there’s no point worrying about it. Whoever comes through, we know we’re going to be in for a huge test. Cork are Cork, and Tipp are Tipp, like. I think, though, the fact that us, Cork and Tipp are the last three counties left this year shows that the standard has been very high this year. It’s always good for hurling to see the traditional counties do well - that’s what the public want.”

Picklington will have plenty to keep himself occupied with before the final. As well as his duties on Kilkenny County Council following his election in May’s local elections, he’s helping out at home.

"Yeah, I’d be helping out at my father TJ’s farm at the moment as it’s a very busy time for him, so it’s nice to be able to give him a hand. Every little helps, as they say, I suppose. "

But there has been one big disappointment for the nine-times All-Ireland medallist in this summer of redemption for the Cats - the cancellation of the five Garth Brooks concerts at Croke Park.

“I suppose I would have been very disappointed at the concerts being cancelled. Myself and Rachel were all set for the Monday show. It’s not often I get out socialising these days and I would have been hugely looking forward to it, especially because it’s not often I get to relax at Croke Park. I had the stetsons bought for the day and all in preparation. Now I won’t get to use them until the club’s annual country music night before Christmas, which is a pity, although I’m sure I’ll be looking forward to that when the time comes.”

One game away from the history Brooks, the whole of Kilkenny hopes that Canice and friends are not in low places comes the evening of September 7th.

Canice Picklington is an alright sort

Jaysus the KK lads can’t take any joke at all. Angry as fuck over a little article.

I see former Laois footballer Michael Lawlor came on for Emo at half time in the Laois SFC 1st Round last weekend. He must be 42 or 43 at this stage. They trailed Killeshin by 4 points at the time, he orchestrated a second half comeback, kicking a point and setting up numerous more, and a last minute penalty from Darren Strong, his second of the half, won the game for Emo. Lawlor’s had problems in both knees for as long as I can remember, the man owes his Club nothing at this stage, but there he is, still at it.

Lunacy some might say, but fair fucks to him all the same.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]An exclusive sneak preview of Sunday’s BIG INTERVIEW.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4]Canice Picklington talks to Paul Kimmage: Hunger, legal battles, retirement and depression[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]Learning to tackle the demons in his head - Canice Picklington revisits an eventful year with Paul Kimmage[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]Sunday Independent, March 8th, 2015[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]On the morning of my interview with Canice Picklington, I open a YouTube video of the Fitzgibbon Cup final between Waterford Institute of Technology and the University of Limerick which has taken place a few nights previously. It’s a cold, wet, windy night in the Gaelic Grounds. It might be the dying hours of February but it’s clear that winter’s grip is still firm. The stadium is empty. On the pitch some of hurling’s finest young talent fight it out in a competition that astute observers consider second only to the All-Ireland in quality. Young, skilful, vigorous and full of energy, they seem to confirm the accepted wisdom that these days, hurling is no country for old men. And yet the pivotal figure for Waterford IT is a 36 year old veteran who according to all medical logic should barely be able to walk.

For those of us not fluent in our native tongue, one word and one name stands out above all others in the TG4 commentary. “Picklington”.

Why is a man who should by rights be at home with his feet up by the fire watching Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway or Winning Streak, putting his body on the line for team mates who are barely half his age?[/FONT]

CP: “Ah, I just love playing, I suppose. Sure I’ll be long enough retired.”

PK: “I’m not buying that. Kilkenny hurlers always come out with these standard cliche answers. There has to be more to it than that.”

CP: “Ah, not really. It’s just what I’ve always done, you know. I don’t know anything else.”

PK: “But why, when you’ve won ten All-Irelands, are you busting a gut in front of 200 people in a competition that the general public clearly has no interest in?”

CP: “I’d disagree with you there. There’s great interest in it. It’s a competition taken very seriously by players. To me it’s second only to the club championship, the All-Ireland, and the Railway Cup. The standard of hurling is very good and it’s always great to test yourself against top players, I suppose.”

PK: “Ah, come off it. There’s no interest.”

CP: “Ah, I’d have to disagree with you there now, Paul.”

PK: “Alright. But why are you doing it? There has to be some inner self-doubt, a nagging at your soul and your mind that eats away at you, that’s making you do all this?”

CP: “Ah no. I don’t think so anyway. I suppose I’m just happy to help out the college in any way I can given that I’m enrolled on a part-time evening diploma studying Agricultural Financial Management.”

PK: “Right. That’s interesting. You said “I don’t think so”. So what I gather from that is that you’re not sure what it is that’s driving you. And to me, that’s very interesting.”

CP: “Well my wife Rachel gives me a lift sometimes after a match.”

PK: “You’ve some dry sense of humour, I’ll give you that.”

CP: “No, that wasn’t a joke.”

PK: “Very funny.”

Right. I know Kilkenny hurlers have a reputation for not giving away much but I’m really not getting very far here. My digging is barely breaking the surface. I need to throw in a grenade.

PK: “Of course you know you shouldn’t have been playing at all, don’t you? You weren’t eligible.”

CP: “Ah, well, that’s the Fitzgibbon Cup for you. Nobody really knows who’s eligible or not. It’s all opinions, I suppose. But I was definitely eligible.”

PK: “How many teams were thrown out of the Fitzgibbon Cup and reinstated this year?”

CP: “Most of the teams, I’d say. That’s nearly part of the charm of the competition. You never know what to expect. But I wasn’t playing illegally.”

PK: “But fielding illegal players is cheating. It’s like doping. Illegal players are a cancer in this competition. Waterford IT were thrown out because you were deemed to not be a full-time student. They only got back in after effectively blackmailing the GAA by threatening to take them to the High Court.”

CP: “Well we have very good Law lecturers in Waterford IT, I suppose.”

PK: “Like every other team in the competition, it seems.”

CP: “Well, look it, you know what they say, you make your own luck.”

PK: “You seem to have made a lot.”

CP: “Well, no one else is going to make it for you.”

[FONT=Georgia]It’s nearly six months since Canice Picklington became the first man to win ten All-Ireland senior hurling medals. Apart from the fact that somebody else in the same team did exactly the same thing at exactly the same time.[/FONT]

PK: “Tell us about your relationship with Henry Shefflin.”

CP: “Ah, we’re great friends, like. We’d have very similar personalities.”

PK: “Are you rivals?”

CP: “Ah not at all. We’d play against each other at club level, like, and we’ve knocked lumps out of each other loads of times in club matches and at county training, but we’ve great respect for each other.”

PK: “Were you jealous that he had an oversized novelty head made for him at the Kilkenny homecoming last year and you didn’t?”

CP: “Ah no. They actually did make one for me but I didn’t want it to be shown in public. That’s not my style, really. I’d get a bit embarrassed by that sort of thing. I’d probably start blushing,”

PK: “I find that hard to believe and again I find that extremely interesting. Why would you get embarrassed by something so small?”

CP: “Ah it wasn’t small now, 'twas huge. I wouldn’t want to be seen as a bighead.”

PK: “Has that humility always been a part of your character?”

CP: “Ah, I suppose so. Even though I was brought up in the Church of Ireland I still feel Catholic guilt.”

PK: “What do you put that down to?”

CP: “Brian Cody, I’d say.”

[FONT=Georgia]Last year Picklington released his autobiography, ghost written with RTE GAA commentator Brian Carthy. It detailed his financial difficulties after a failed property development deal. What it didn’t go into, and what Picklington says he now regrets not revealing, was his battle with depression. [/FONT]

PK: “When did you first start feeling depressed?”

CP: “Years ago. I suppose I’ve always had a bit of an air of sadness over me without me realising it. Like, in my younger days people would think I was the life and soul of the party but I’d wake up the next morning scuttered. I think I first noticed it the morning after a night out in Vegas.”

PK: “Las Vegas must be a strange place to realise you’re depressed.”

CP: “No, not Las Vegas, Mullinavat. That’s what it’s called in Kilkenny. Vegas.”

PK: “Right, I’m not sure I should ask. I doubt it’s because there’s casinos and hookers there.”

CP: “Well not those kind of hookers. But they’d certainly hook you on the hurling pitch though if you swung too wide, which is probably why John Mulhall never plays well against them.”

PK: “What’s living with depression like for you?”

CP: “it’s not very nice, I suppose. You feel down. You feel like your world is collapsing. You feel like not getting up in the morning. Little things can make you feel like there’s no hope.”

PK: “Such as?”

CP: "Well, l remember Biddy got killed in Glenroe and I missed training with the club the next night because I felt down about it. Mad stuff, really, looking back.

But that kind if thing stayed with me as I got older. I remember one incident when Rachel was shopping for groceries inside in the city and I’d told her to get wholemeal bread because it’s healthier than white bread, but she came back with white bread. I was initially a bit annoyed with her, but then calmed down. Then I went to get a knife to spread butter on my sandwich, and I realised I’d told her to get a low fat spread as well instead of the butter. The mistakes she’d made over the butter and the white bread set me off and I tried to cut myself with the knife - I’d certainly never think of using it on her, only on myself. Luckily though, the blade wasn’t very sharp on it. But I ended up with three scars on my arm. The next time I went to training, I had to say that I’d had an accident doing some carpentry in the shed. I didn’t like being dishonest in front of the rest of the team but I had no choice. That made me feel a bit guilty and made my depression worse."

PK: "You see that’s incredibly interesting to me. That a mistake your wife made about buying the wrong type of bread and butter set you off like that? That to me goes right to the heart of why you’ve been so successful for so long. There clearly is a nagging doubt there, a relentless inner drive for perfection, to be the best.

Would you think Henry Shefflin would cut himself over his wife buying the wrong type of bread?"

CP: “No. Probably not.”

PK: “What made you decide to speak out about your depression?”

CP: “Well, I was very impressed by what Conor Cusack said. Then other people in the public eye started talking about their depression, people I’d really respect, like Brent Pope, I wouldn’t be an expert on rugby now but I like when he talks about the breakdown, people like the Bressies, the Elaine Crowleys, the John Murrays, the Marian Keyeses, people like that.”

PK: “The way you’re phrasing it makes them sound like schizophrenics!”

CP: “God, no, that’s not what I meant at all.”

PK: “I knew that.”

CP: “Very good!”

PK: “But you’ve been in touch with Bressie to promote mental health awareness?”

CP: “Yes, I have. He’s somebody I’d really respect and have a lot of time for. Lar Corbett actually put me in touch with him. I already was a big fan of his music, but he has a lot of good things to say and it’s nice to be able to help him out in some small way with the great work he’s doing for mental health awareness. I suppose the key aim from the whole thing is to make people aware of mental health, and that’s very important.”

[FONT=Georgia]Ten All-Ireland medals seems, symmetrically speaking, to be a natural end. Several Kilkenny veterans will not be playing inter-county hurling in 2015. Tommy Walsh, JJ Delaney, Brian Hogan, Aidan Fogarty and David Herity have all retired following last September’s replay triumph over Tipperary.

Canice Picklington and Henry Shefflin are glaring by their absence from that list, at least so far. [/FONT]

PK: “Ten All-Ireland medals seems a nice round number on which to finish.”

CP: “Well, I suppose it’s nice to go up to ten, but why not go up to eleven?”

PK: “Now you’re getting greedy.”

CP: “Ah no, sure look it, I’ve a big decision to make, like, whether to carry on or not. I wouldn’t be under any illusions, like, about how difficult it’d be to get my place back this year. There’s class hurlers everywhere in Kilkenny.”

PK: “When are you going to decide whether or not to carry on?”

CP: “Well, I told Brian Cody that I’d put off any decision until after the Fitzgibbon final and maybe make a decision then. But the Fitzgibbon final obviously went to a replay so I’ve put back my decision again.”

PK: “What if it goes to another replay?”

CP: “Well Henry Shefflin said he wouldn’t make a decison until Ballyhale were finished with the All-Ireland club championship on St. Patrick’s Day, so maybe I might get to put if off longer than that.”

PK: “You’re waiting for him to announce his decision first?”

CP: “Ah no. Well, maybe…”

PK: “Ah, so there’s definitely a rivalry there.”

CP: “Well, like he got ten minutes in the drawn All-Ireland final and I only got six, but I got longer than him in the replay.”

PK: “I knew it. Even with your team-mates, you’re a competitor to your fingertips.”

CP: “Jesus, they’re nearly worn away now at this stage.”

[FONT=Georgia]Canice Picklington was in conversation with Paul Kimmage[/FONT]

One of your better ones @Sidney - so much so that I burst out laughing at one of the lines during a meeting earlier to strange looks from the rest of the people in the room

You’re really not supposed to make noise when you’re wheeling in tea and coffee to the meeting room @Mac.

Very droll pal

safe to say, the recent TFK debates were a great source of inspiration to that piece!

+1 Just burst out laughing there in an ‘All Hands’.

Well done @Sidney , great stuff.

Well done @Sidney. Usually these Picklington tomes you write are load of old trout but I enjoyed that one, particularly the bit about Biddy getting killed.

That’s also probably the bit that King Roaster @Mac bust out laughing at.