GAA Parish Rule

Kilkenny introduced the parish rule in 1954 because Carrickshock were taking the piss. For one of their championships they won it with 7 Slieverue players.

In Carrick on Suir players living on the right bank of the river can play for St Mollerans (Waterford) or Tipperary’s Swans or Davins. Players on the left bank can play for the Swans or the Davins only. The great Mick Roche started off playing for the Mollerans and Waterford but switched to the Davins and Tipp T age 18 as his father was one of the founder members of the Davins.

There is no parish rule at all in Waterford County or Dublin County. A parish rule in Waterford would completely derail the championships as 15 percent of the population of the county live in one parish ( Ballygunner ).
As with Dublin the club the player is leaving can object to the transfer and in that case the player can appeal to the county board where it goes to a vote as happened in the Fennell case.

A couple of points are worth considering. Is it in the interests of the GAA that a player be obliged to play with a particular club due to his birth place. What incentive does that provide to up it’s game. Why shouldn’t a player have a right to move if his club is run by a bunch of duffers.

This pride of the parish thing is a recent construct and in no way germane to the GAA. Most of the parish rules werent introduced until after the 1950s. There is no huge divergence in the success of counties pre and post introduction.

Finally why should the GAA allow a separate organization and particularly one as obtuse as the Catholic Church determine it’s club structures. Parish boundaries take no account of demographics or basic fairness. In general they the institutionalize unfairnesses. For example Ballyhale (which is actually two parishes) is geographically the biggest parish in Kilkenny.

did i not explain this yesterday?

The Parish rule is country wide but evry county has their own bye laws

jaysus, one player moves and plays for a club within his parish boundary lines and the Jimmies are still going mad over it. arent you lucky the other transfer at the time didnt go through.

the parish rule is vital for small clubs.

it is unfortunate for these two lads what has happened but the principal of the rule has to be maintained.

players cannot be allowed to move willy nilly. the classic example of the success of parish rule since its strict enforcement in clare is ballyea hurling club. when i was growing up ballyea were a poor junior and intermediate side. lads constantly moved from ballyea to clarecastle to hurl as clarecastle were senior.
since the rule was enforced ballyea have become a senior club themselves and with the recent underage structures in both clubs it appears that both of them will be strong senior clubs in the not too distant future. thats good for the players playing, the clubs and the county in my view.

there is a case to be made for allowing players to hurl for a club in the parish they are going to school in maybe but again that is going to seriously affect rural clubs which are already in decline.

well the last one was certainly a roaring success…

i think we’ll be ok in any case…

to be fair, you can never get too pissed off at lads wanting to play at a higher level

Ah I was never going to go in the end, the red jerseys clash with my hair.

I was just trying to tie up the time of your Director of Transfers.

GGA still stuck in a pre vatican 2 mindset of what Ireland is like

the agricatholics in the gga arent attracting any new members with these bigoted rules

:lol: [quote=“twiceasnice97, post: 609807”]

it is unfortunate for these two lads what has happened but the principal of the rule has to be maintained.

players cannot be allowed to move willy nilly. the classic example of the success of parish rule since its strict enforcement in clare is ballyea hurling club. when i was growing up ballyea were a poor junior and intermediate side. lads constantly moved from ballyea to clarecastle to hurl as clarecastle were senior.
since the rule was enforced ballyea have become a senior club themselves and with the recent underage structures in both clubs it appears that both of them will be strong senior clubs in the not too distant future. thats good for the players playing, the clubs and the county in my view.

there is a case to be made for allowing players to hurl for a club in the parish they are going to school in maybe but again that is going to seriously affect rural clubs which are already in decline.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

its not the 1950’s you mong

obviously hence the 2nd transfer didnt pan out…

There are plenty of thriving rural clubs in counties that don’t have the parish rule. Clubs shouldn’t really need the protection of an arbitrary restriction on freedom of movement to survive. If they do then they must be doing something wrong. This parish rule is like a relic of Soviet Russia[quote=“twiceasnice97, post: 609807”]

[/quote]

Sorry to ressurect an old thread. But i’m just looking for advice regarding a transfer I want to get from my own club. It’s a little complicated so bear with me.

I live on the border between two counties and both clubs are on either side of the border. I currently play senior with the club A in the county I live and have always lived in.

I want to transfer to club B across the county border. However, I started playing football with club B until under 12/14, went to school there, christened there etc. I also work in the county of club B.

Then I didnt play at all for a few years. I then joined my current club A when minor til now.

I now want to return to club B. Am I right in thinking that club B is my home club as I started playing for them first when aged 7 to 12 and that I should have no trouble getting a transfer to them. The distance from my house to both clubs is similar.

fuck off you vile horrible hideous collapsed ring piece

:slight_smile:

TASE, that was a genuine query from a new member and your reply was abusive, aggressive and wholly inappropriate.

I trust that you will apologise immediately.

WE DONT NEED ANOTHER HERO, WE DONT NEED TO KNOW THE WAY HOME, ALL WE WANT IS LIFE BEYOND THUNDERDOME …

Are you leaving your current club on good terms? If so there should be no problems with the transfer. Even if they were to object I would imagine the fact you are returning to your first club would mean they couldn’t impeed the transfer.

But do my circumstances mean that the club i’m transferring to is my ‘Home’ club? Does the fact it’s different counties come into account?

I just want as little hassle as possible as I feel my current club will be upset at me leaving and would object to the transfer if they could.

I want the transfer for a number of reasons as I feel the levels of commitment in my club have diminished, poor numbers at training etc. and it’s not enjoyable anymore as I am very committed to my football and its annoying when others don’t share that commitment. Also my friends are mostly with the club i’m transferring to and I just want to enjoy my football again.

Oh and thanks for the reply The Runt unlike other posters who were less than helpful.

The county thing could complicate it and I think all inter-county transfers have to go to Croke Park for approval. But I think that would work in your favour and the fact you are returning to your first club means your current club have very little claim over you.