GAA Rule Changes

Football:

1: When a player is in possession of the ball it may be struck with an open hand or a fist provided there is a definitive striking action (the current rule just allows for striking with the fist).

2: Introduction of a free kick (or mark) for catching a kick-out between the two 45 metre lines. Free kick must be taken by the player who catches the ball.

3: The rule governing the bounce is redefined - there will be no foul unless the ball is caught. That appears to suggest that a player may bounce the ball more than once as long as the ball is not caught.

4: The square ball rule is to be altered greatly. An attacking player can now enter the small rectangle before the ball. There are three exceptions: a player cannot be in the square before the ball if from a sideline kick, a free-kick or a 45.

5: Statistics show that fewer penalties are being scored. Therefore it is proposed that the penalty kick be moved forward from the 13 metre line to 11 metres from goal.

6: To speed up play it is proposed that all kick-outs be taken from the 13 metre line.

7: To provide more clarity to the advantage rule, referees shall use clearly defined signals to indicate that the foul has been seen and is playing advantage.

8: It was thought that players are getting charged while picking up the ball. To refine the rule and add protection, instead of a fair charge definition using the words ‘side to side’, the rule should refer to a ‘shoulder to shoulder’ charge.

9: Topical in view of the controversy during the Cork and Tyrone match and borrowing a rule from rugby, it is suggested that after the full time whistle comes after the expiration of added time when the ball next crosses any boundary line.

Selected hurling’s experimental rule proposals:

1: After a number of unsightly scenes it is proposed that throws in should not take place closer than 13 metres from the sideline.

2: Judgement in whether the ball has been thrown has proven difficult so the committee is proposing that definition should be that ball must be released and struck with a definite
striking action of the hand.

3: Presumably to give the penalty taker more space, the wording in the rule shall change from ‘before the penalty puck is taken’ to ‘before the ball is struck’.

4: The penalty for taking a puck-out outside the small square is to be altered. Instead of a free puck from the 65 metre line, the new penalty will be to cancel the puck out and throw the ball in on the defenders’ 20 metres line.

• 5: It will now be foul to deliberately step outside the sidelines to gain an advantage. A free puck will be awarded from where the foul occurred. Like in football, clearer signals will be given in the advantage rule and a fair charge must be ‘shoulder to shoulder’, as to opposed to ‘side to side’.

4: The square ball rule is to be altered greatly. An attacking player can now enter the small rectangle before the ball. There are three exceptions: a player cannot be in the square before the ball if from a sideline kick, a free-kick or a 45.

:popcorn:

Excellent thread idea rocko…

[quote=“scumpot”]4: The square ball rule is to be altered greatly. An attacking player can now enter the small rectangle before the ball. There are three exceptions: a player cannot be in the square before the ball if from a sideline kick, a free-kick or a 45.

:popcorn:[/quote]

Disaster of a rule, so you have a full forward standing inside on top of the Keeper all the time.

:clap:

Yeah as I was going to say earlier you could make an argument for one forward being allowed in the square but even then it should be time limited or something like basketball (umpires have fuck all else to be looking at). But you’d have mayhem with big lads just standing there all day now.

it will start more mill ups than anything…forwards just darting across keepers to put him off, full backs trying to block their runs…

Yea exactly put a big lad in full forward lump in balls from 45yards out and just get the forward to basically stand in front of the keeper waving his hands above his head.

[quote=“Rocko”]Football:

3: The rule governing the bounce is redefined - there will be no foul unless the ball is caught. That appears to suggest that a player may bounce the ball more than once as long as the ball is not caught.

[/quote]

This was always the rule up to the year before last I think.

[quote=“Rocko”]Football:

1: When a player is in possession of the ball it may be struck with an open hand or a fist provided there is a definitive striking action (the current rule just allows for striking with the fist).

2: Introduction of a free kick (or mark) for catching a kick-out between the two 45 metre lines. Free kick must be taken by the player who catches the ball.

5: Statistics show that fewer penalties are being scored. Therefore it is proposed that the penalty kick be moved forward from the 13 metre line to 11 metres from goal.

6: To speed up play it is proposed that all kick-outs be taken from the 13 metre line.

7: To provide more clarity to the advantage rule, referees shall use clearly defined signals to indicate that the foul has been seen and is playing advantage.

8: It was thought that players are getting charged while picking up the ball. To refine the rule and add protection, instead of a fair charge definition using the words ‘side to side’, the rule should refer to a ‘shoulder to shoulder’ charge.

9: Topical in view of the controversy during the Cork and Tyrone match and borrowing a rule from rugby, it is suggested that after the full time whistle comes after the expiration of added time when the ball next crosses any boundary line.

Selected hurling’s experimental rule proposals:

1: After a number of unsightly scenes it is proposed that throws in should not take place closer than 13 metres from the sideline.

2: Judgement in whether the ball has been thrown has proven difficult so the committee is proposing that definition should be that ball must be released and struck with a definite
striking action of the hand.

3: Presumably to give the penalty taker more space, the wording in the rule shall change from ‘before the penalty puck is taken’ to ‘before the ball is struck’.

4: The penalty for taking a puck-out outside the small square is to be altered. Instead of a free puck from the 65 metre line, the new penalty will be to cancel the puck out and throw the ball in on the defenders’ 20 metres line.

• 5: It will now be foul to deliberately step outside the sidelines to gain an advantage. A free puck will be awarded from where the foul occurred. Like in football, clearer signals will be given in the advantage rule and a fair charge must be ‘shoulder to shoulder’, as to opposed to ‘side to side’.[/quote]

From a cursory glance at this:

Re rule 1: As far as I am aware current rule allows for striking with both the open and closed fist. Therefore what the hell is the writer of this piece talking about? IMO only the fist pass should be allowed and I would also be in favour of banning the fist/hand pass point which is a blight on the game.

Re rule 2: any kind of mark has no place in Gaelic football.

Re rule 4: I don’t agree with any change to the square ball rule.

Re rule 5: there is no need to make any chage to the penalty kick.

Re rule 9: no need to make any change to when the final whistle is blown.

So in short, the people who are proposing this are idiots. There is very little wrong with the game and any changes I would make are summarised in my response to rule 1.

On account of Frankie, Cesc, Jermain and some other fook who plays for Pompey at the weekend, this proposal represents an idea whose time has surely come.

At least they didn’t try to make out there is no tackle in Gaelic Football:rolleyes:

[quote=“Rocko”]Football:

4: The square ball rule is to be altered greatly. An attacking player can now enter the small rectangle before the ball. There are three exceptions: a player cannot be in the square before the ball if from a sideline kick, a free-kick or a 45.[/quote]

Brilliant-I believe I was advocating this rule in Football on here before. I would like to see this myself, give it a go for a while anyway as football goalies having a protective square is a bit of a joke I always thought.

[quote=“Rocko”]Football:

1: When a player is in possession of the ball it may be struck with an open hand or a fist provided there is a definitive striking action (the current rule just allows for striking with the fist).[/quote]

This has been happening for years now anyway, so no harm to clear it up.

Just when the greatest fielder of the past 20 years is about to retire, pity it took so long.

This is the case already isnt it? Perhaps they’re just clarifying?

Worth road testing, but I’m not sure about it to be honest, can see it being very messy with all sorts of shit going on in the square now from open play, will surely benefit the likes of Donaghy and the ilk?

Utter bullshit imo.

I’d be in favour of this

Is there an advantage rule in GAA?

Wasn’t hitting someone as they’re going down to pick up the ball a foul anyway? No harm to clarify it.

This could get messy I imagine. Will the ref be shouting “last play”? And if so will we just see teams booting the ball over the endline/sideline etc as well?

The hurling ones are all pretty sensible really.

[quote=“sid waddell”]From a cursory glance at this:

Re rule 1: As far as I am aware current rule allows for striking with both the open and closed fist. Therefore what the hell is the writer of this piece talking about? IMO only the fist pass should be allowed and I would also be in favour of banning the fist/hand pass point which is a blight on the game.

Re rule 2: any kind of mark has no place in Gaelic football.

Re rule 4: I don’t agree with any change to the square ball rule.

Re rule 5: there is no need to make any chage to the penalty kick.

Re rule 9: no need to make any change to when the final whistle is blown.

So in short, the people who are proposing this are idiots. There is very little wrong with the game and any changes I would make are summarised in my response to rule 1.[/quote]

Agree completely on the mark too. The Metro article this morning talked about saving the “dying art of the high catch” but to be honest I think that’s a complete myth. Sure the midfield can be a little bit more crowded now than it used to, but that’s just the evolution of the game into more fluid tactics. There’s still a huge prize on getting clean possession from a kick out and at the moment that’s one of the ways the game is speeded up. Putting a mark in there will slow the whole thing down hugely.

rocko, did you have a thread like this before? I remember putting across a view that a rule to be implemented was a play on rule after a free was awarded, in that a player can run on with the ball, handpass or kick it instead of having to wait to get 13m and slowing the game down. IMO, that woulds eliminate the rugby style tackling and getting everyone behind the ball.

Yeah there was a similar thread with rule changes for all sports Gman.

That’s the AFL model you’re talking about I presume. Works very well over there, would require a bit of training for referees - you can’t just change the rule and expect them to get to grips with it immediately - but the best part is it takes the advantage decision out of their hands and as you say keeps momentum with attacking teams.

The penalty rule isn’t total bullshit either though. Being taken down for a penalty is an advantage straight away to the goalie in football-and you’d never see a keeper getting a red card for taking a man down either.

It was this one GMan-

Rule change thread

But it doesnt say anything about penalising the keeper, it just says about bringing it forward, to me thats bullshit. Keep the goalie on his line and it works just fine as it is I think.