Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Have you solid evidence that lads aren’t playing league in Dublin? It’s a fairly sweeping statement.

If you are against the split season at least try make points instead of sweeping statements.

I’m unsure of it if I’m honest. Has it helped Wexford? Probably no but that’s ok the county board there.

I think it’s helped the Tipp club championships.

1 Like

It’s easy fundraise know in Limerick because of the position we are in. Back then you would have struggled to do fundraising.

What Limerick have shown and Offaly in the 70s the game can be grown if you invest in underage structures.

Not every country is as lucky to have a jp but croke park could come up with some plan to grow the game.

You haven’t a clue fella.

Club hurlers have 11 league games a year. Starts the last weekend of Feb and concludes at the end of June. The main county players won’t play for their clubs at this time but subs/extended panel do.

Club championship is due to start towards mid July and will conclude around mid October. Each player is guaranteed a minimum of 5 games.

Club players know the fixture schedule early in the year and can plan holidays/ social life accordingly.

The hurling championship was restructured last year banding groups of 10 at the various grades instead of the previous number of 16. It resulted in a much more competitive chsmpionships across the grades with less mismatches and drubbings. This manifested itself with the club champions acquitting themselves better than previous years in the club championship. Of course there isn’t a team currently at the level of Cuala who won AI clubs back to back in 16 + 17, but Kilmacud gave Ballyhale a big scare in the Leinster final. Naomh Barrog the 21st best team in Dublin beat Oulart the 13th best team in Wexford in the Leinster intermediate beford losing to Bray. Commercials the 41st best team in Dublin last year reached the Junior final beating the KK junior champions along the way.

10 Likes

You seem to think like a lot of people we are seeing the results of the split season already.

We aren’t.

It was ridiculous what happened before the split season. I’ll be be the first to admit it.

To fix issue we didn’t need a split season. We needed a shortened inter county season with control taken away from the senior county managers.

You have to get the clubs and county teams growing together and helping each other.

Instead we are creating massive disconnect between the two and overall that’ll be detrimental to everyone.

1 Like

So the best players aren’t playing with their clubs until the middle of July after being flogged to death during a ridiculously elongated inter county season and you think that repeated year after year will benefit the standards of club hurling?

It will in its eye.

1 Like

He wouldn’t lie straight in the bed that fella

Is there any other hobbies for a young lad in Wexford come August?

Did they? That’ll be gas news to the lads in Offaly

Correct me if I’m wrong but the impression I get from @BruidheanChaorthainn’s posts is he actually wants the club to be the bread and butter and inter-county to be treated more like international association football is, ie. for the players to be club players first and foremost.

1 Like

Yet again you move the goalposts in a discussion. You stated originally that “the standard will fall off a cliff” and “that players will play less games” due to the split season and I proved why you were wrong.

You then start blabbering about burnout. I was involved with a club team in Dublin last year. We had a player who played most of Dublins games last year with us. Dublin were knockedout in mid May last year. He was didn’t return to train with us till the start of July about 3 weeks before championship. He was given adequate rest and went on holidays. We had another lad who was a sub/extended panel member and he got two weeks off but was happy to rejoin to club activities earlier. Most clubs have sensible people looking after them who look after the welfare of players.

2 Likes

Correct but that won’t stop @Fat_Pox trying to dismiss me as an arm chair gaa.

You can’t even watch many games on tv anymore so I’m not sure they exist.

Have a look at the Dublin senior hurling team compared to ten years ago.

They’ll be back the levels when I was younger soon. Ie a laughing stock because the level of the club championship will go to pot thanks to the split season.

You can play 50 league games if ye want a season.

Even if you are an odd ball and like this round robin stuff it would be made much better with two weeks between the games so teams don’t just die on their feet or run out of players.

Limerick had a bizarre 3 week cap in between playing two games a week apart.

There is no real point to the league anymore so I’d be scraping the league semi finals and that pre season tournament too to allowed you two week gaps between the games.

The zealots can’t have that though. They want season ending injuries so lads can’t play with their clubs for the year.

10 years ago most club players had 2 championship games guaranteed yet the standard never feel through the roof. How many club championship games do you think players should have?

1 Like

In 2013 we had 5 games and 4 in some other grades in Limerick.

The same now isnt it?

I agree fully with that. Jan/ early Feb should have a focus on 3rd level competitions and the concluding stages of the all Ireland club championships.

2 Likes

As I said before I love hurling and the gaa at all levels in general does wonders for people but let’s not ruin it going down this professional route we are trundling towards.

Less is more sometimes.

You have inter county teams training from December until the end of July.

Physically the teams can’t even go flat out in the league without falling apart come championship.

Whatever your opinion re pushing club championship until august surely people accept the calendar is totally unbalanced.

After this Sunday you will have 6 hurling teams still training. In another month only 4. By the start of July only 4 county teams will still be training.

1 Like

That’s fair but I still think you would be doing wonders for the weaker counties with smaller squads by spacing championship games two weeks apart and getting rid of the league semi finals.

You could run Leinster one weekend and Munster another weekend so there’s still hurling on every weekend.