Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Itā€™s a tricky one but in my opinion itā€™ll harm the clubs in the future.

Croke park gave completely overestimated the lure of the inter county stuff too.

If you had the senior inter-county hurling out of the way by May 21st, and say the football out of the way by June 18th, you could then run off the county championships by the end of July, have the All-Ireland club finals by the second last weekend in August, and leave September free for the showpiece childrenā€™s championships.

Spillane just gets it.

1 Like

amalgamate counties

1 Like

The Gahilbian are a very short sighted organisation, hurling will be dead within 10 years

1 Like

That should have done years ago, decades ago. Every inch of the country should be represented in the Liam McCarthy and ever young hurler no matter what county should have the aspiration of playing in an AI.
Itā€™s done at club level, where junior clubs amalgamate to divisional sides, no reason it couldnā€™t be done at county level.

1 Like

The top 7/8 counties donā€™t care about the rest of the country.The amount of ā€œhurling peopleā€ people that ask me have Leitrim/Sligo/Donegal etc a hurling team is unreal.Theyā€™re in their own little bubble and thatā€™s all they care about.

2 Likes

Would you support a Connacht (sans Galway) hurling team, esp if there were a couple of Leitrim lads on it?

Theyā€™d surely have a decent team between the 4 of them.Im sure Iā€™d be tempted to go alright.

Thatā€™s the crux of it.

Lads on here claiming what an incredible year itā€™s been for hurling but the reality is it hasnā€™t been. If gillane pops over a few handy frees v Clare than both Clare and Waterford are basically done after week 2 and weā€™ve the greatest snooze feast of a Munster championship of all time.

The standard in Leinster is incredibly low as well.

Iā€™d have much worries about the future of hurling than Gaelic football. Youā€™ll always get a crossover with soccer.

Up until the 80s Offaly had little or no tradition of hurling and look what happened when they invested in the game in that county.

It can be done. It might not be easy but it can be done.

Thereā€™s a bandwagon element to every successful side in any sport. if two counties amalgamated itā€™s very much up to the players to make it work.

If they do and they start to win a few games then people will flock to watch them.

Who is that player? Just curious.

Lorcan Doyle is his name I think. Plays for Burren Rangers who would be a relatively new club around Ballon area.

On the bare points totals anyway, Clare would still have qualified by beating Waterford and Cork had they lost to Limerick.

More likely Clare would have just packed it in.

The point is the Munster championship is only papering over the cracks.

Limerick v Clare might save the summer if they meet again in the all Ireland series.

Iā€™d like to see somebody high profile like Donal Ɠg Cusack suggest something like a Team Ulster (possibly minus Antrim) to participate in the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship.

Itā€™s very simply Cheasty. You join them up at 12s, 14s,16s and minor first for five or so years. When the parents see how itā€™s successful theyā€™ll support it at senior level. The players will want it.

Thanks very much. Glad to hear of the initiative.

Ballon is Fighting Cocks territory, I think.

1 Like

Donal Ɠg doesnā€™t give 2 shits about hurling outside Cork/Munster heā€™s a disgrace and should have been fired from the GPA for his comments regarding the TC.

5 Likes

I think what he said about the best hurling games being on Muldoon and go needed to be said and Iā€™m still surprised he said it.

He was also the same fella who flew all the best hurlers over to Boston for some sort of bastardised version of hurling in Fenway park.

There was no fear of him playing it in mayo or Donegal.