Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Well that has been long mooted and every time it’s mentioned somebody just shouts “it would be unworkable”.

When everything is “unworkable”, as every suggestion to protect competition is always deemed to be, you end up with grotesque imbalance.

Sure everything is “unworkable” because the GAA is supposed to be an amateur organisation, but professionalism and monetisation was allowed to creep into it and spread like Japanese knotweed. No effort was ever made to try and eradicate the Japanese knotweed.

If Limerick or Kilkenny win the hurling that’ll be 14 of the last 20 all Ireland hurling titles between the two counties.

If Kerry or Dublin win the football that’ll be 15 of the last 20 football titles.

Professionalism over time tends to make sports very uncompetitive.

In the current structures it’s very hard for counties to compete.

The “Big 3” have won 94 out of 134 of the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championships (70%) and 52/91 (57%) of the National Hurling Leagues

This is not a new thing

2 Likes

When was the last time you had the exact same provincial finals and the exact same four teams in the semi finals to the previous year?

It’s almost like you’re asking a question you know the answer to

Also some of these big three things are misleading. It was club teams repressing counties until the early teens as far as I’m aware if not a little later.

Some of those early championships were bizarre too. Cork and Limerick didn’t enter a couple of them.

As an example in the 1887 final only six counties entered and Dublin didn’t even field a team. So realistically it was 5 times in total.

For whatever reason both Wexford and Galway were given byes into the semi finals.

1982/1983 I’d guess though there was only one semi-final in those days.

In both those years Kilkenny beat Offaly in the Leinster final, Cork thrashed Waterford in the Munster final and Kilkenny beat Cork in the All-Ireland final.

What have English sports got to do with Gaa?

Free to air sport and it’s importance.

I didn’t even flick on the football yesterday. Glued to the tennis. An All Ireland Football semi final the same day as the Gentlemen’s Singles Final at the All England Club is just all wrong.

2 Likes

Didn’t know Sky Sports was free to air

Are you thick? Look at the viewership peak for Sky Sports for the biggest Cricket Competition which only happens once every 2 years. That’s what the comparison is all about

2 Likes

It’s all so rushed, four All Ireland semi finals and the two finals, crash, bang, wallop all played off in the space of 22 days. No sense of occasion or build up to it anymore.

3 Likes

No Sevens on the Saturday, both All Ireland Finalists travelling home the night of the game, no Minor match, jubilee team rolled out in front of a few hundred people at 2.30pm.

Will the winners even go to the Hospitals on Monday?

Limerick might go to Hospital.

3 Likes

At least whoever wins the Football will be in The Boars on the Monday morning.

Senan Connell will be offering lifts home.

1 Like

I think their is 3 hospitals in Limerick and 1 in Kilkenny mate

1 Like