Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

No you don’t know where you stand. That situation has fixtures being created on the fly

1 Like

How?

Everything would be set in stone.

Inter county players are cup tied playing inter county championship.

They are freed up once their team is knocked out.

Clubs can arrange their own season.

You don’t need five weeks to train for a glorified friendly.

Teams had ten days to prepare for the soccer World Cup.

No friendlies.

:laughing:

Off the back of a 9 month season.

If you think you can send club players straight out to play matches after 5 months off without picking up a pile of knocks I’m afraid you’re wrong

Whenever that might be.

League games are glorified friendlys.

6 weeks is plenty of time to prepare for a club championship game.

If you have club championship in mid April early march is plenty of time.

A coach charging a 100 quid wants a team back in January to line his pocket.

Another club saw a team back in January and then they decided they better go back in January.

Teams training in January for championship in mid April is a load of bullshit.

Sure what difference does it make? Club championship should start mid April and space your rounds appropriately with a mid season break in the height of summer.

Let the county teams do what they like.

For a finish club championship in Limerick was starting the first weekend of April. Which often saw games being played 30/31st of March.

Good luck getting clubs to agree to play championship without county players. Jesus wept.

Do you think Patrickswell would agree to that, or Doon, etc. Do you limit it to just Senior players or is any inter county panellist at any grade not eligible? An absolutely hair brained idea

2 Likes

Sure the clubs agreed to scenario where they didn’t have the inter county players for the first
8 months of the season.

There was always going to be huge ramifications for that.

There isn’t enough weeks in the calendar for all these games. The club season is already squeezed to a minimum.

That isn’t right nor did I ever say it was right.

I’ve said on a number of occasions the inter county mangers had too much power.

The Electric Picnic is moving back to the middle of August next year. Move an All Ireland to that weekend and it’s as you were.

The clubs need 3 months to prepare for championship so you’d be starting championship the middle of November.

Yes, because it is a better situation to get them back and fully concentrated on their club rather then showing up an odd time in the field, and not knowing when that time will be because you are waiting for when the team is knocked out or for some county manager to give a permission slip to a lad to train or tog out for his club.

This “8 months” thing is another red herring; sure for 3 of those 8 months they wouldn’t be doing anything with the club anyway because their club season would be finished and it is the height of winter

By my reckoning on the 29th of may this year 7 of the 11 Liam McCarthy teams were finished for the year.

So you are talking about a tiny cohort of players who’d miss more than two club championship games.

Delaying the whole club championship country wide for
Around 200 players for another two months doesn’t seem very wise to me or sustainable.

Lads wanting the all Irelands pushed into the middle of august are crazy…

Clare regressing a bit and being unable to compete with three bigger counties is hardly an incredible hypothetical ffs. I’d say it’s far more likely that that will happen in the future.

What’s more likely is counties will end up in huge debt trying to fund academies and senior inter county teams
and will end up having to sell pitches and the like to save themselves.

The cost of running things won’t be sustainable for most counties to compete.

I don’t think the intercounty players would stand for that first of all and secondly it would kill interest in the club game for a lot of spectators

I’m just talking about the format. It looks great now but that’s because 4 teams out of 5 are very close in standard. That hasn’t always been the case and is unlikely to be going forward. If the big three all won their first few games it’d be dead rubber central.

Well unfortunately the inter county players have a professional season running from December to July with millions of euros used to fund the whole thing. With a guarantee of ten or so competitive games a season.

Meanwhile all the club players are left waiting for them.

No other sport would stand for that.