Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

The split season represents the professional ethos that’s making the Gaa uncompetitive.

It’s clear now a lot of the weakest counties are struggling to attract their best players.

It could benefit their clubs a little I guess but we’ll see in due course. A lot of rosenbourg situations developing around the country.

I think we are addressing two different topics.

With due respect, it’s the Limerick, Dublin, Kerry who are driving this.

2 Likes

Hi Pat

The whole programme is a bit like a Japanese bullet train whizzing from Osaka to Tokyo.

Split season to blame now for the lack of interest in Cheltenham according to some of the lads on here.

https://twitter.com/MalachyClerkin/status/1768924227967582668?t=AFCTV7dfZ-5cLZJTZ5WxTw&s=19

Time to stick a fork in this ridiculous split season.

4 Likes

But but but what about families from Ferbane who want to take a day trip to watch Fossa play in early August?

8 Likes

You need the underdog for sport to work and croke park have removed the underdog from the gaa. We’ve torched one of the best things about being Irish for no apparent reason.

The deluge has started ahead today’s exceedingly unattractive double header at Pearse Stadium. I can hear the rain battering off the roof.

This is perhaps the worst example of GAA fixture scheduling I’ve ever seen. A stadium completely open on three and a half sides. Pissing, driving rain. A Saturday lunchtime double header. Both games are live on television, Anybody there will make for the unreserved seating in the upper section of the stand. If you want to get a sit down place for the football, God help you.

I’ll be watching the rugby.

3 Likes

It’s bizzare alright. Probably the two marquee games of the weekend and they’ll be over before lads have the weekend jobs done.

1 Like

I hear they opened the gates at 11:30, good crowd were already queuing to get into the covered stand.

The GAA really have not replaced the St Paddys day club finals, I think the Railway cup could be class with a bit of effort and marketing. When you see Munster B sell our PUC to play the Crusaders in a glorified challenge game it just shows what can be done if the GAA/Media make some concerted effort to big something up.

I see the Killarney 7s are after upping their marketing for their tournament this summer, this should be replicated all over the GAA.

Fixture wise, The whole season needs to go back two weeks and its problem solved.

1 Like

100% would be a great idea.Saturday Sunday job.

1 Like

Jim McGuinness actually spoke in favour of it recently and he said it was got rid of by GAA media.
No reason why there couldn’t be 50,000+ to see Team ulster kick the shit out of Clifford.

A bit like they want rid of the provincial pre season competitions which would be replaced by a host of in house trial games.

1 Like

The league is a glorified pre season comp now.

Not a bad shout tbf, no league matches on paddys weekend and have munster vs Leinster hurling in PUC or croke Park rotation. No training for either teams. Pick 15 and go hurl

2 Likes

The fact is the split season absolutely destroyed it. You need to cut back on inter county fixtures. Schedule them differently too.

No need to play the Munster and Leinster finals on the same day.

No need to play the all Ireland q/fs on a Saturday double header.

Very difficult to put the genie back in the box.

The gaa can barely get 50k into the all Ireland semi finals. They’d do well to break 10k.

1 Like

Its pie in the sky stuff.

Nobody would care.

As enda said market it correctly. Ffs munster were able to hype friendlys for the b team