Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

I wonder will the falling standards at Inter County be considered at all when they review it all. Does anyone care?

The actual quality of the latter stages has really fallen since 2017 as teams dont really get much preparation time with games squashed on top of each other. Obviously the fact the young lads coming through to replace the Hall of Famers are useless for the most part hasnt helped either.

Iā€™d be amazed if we ever again saw a Hurling Final like 2014 or Football like 2017.

Obviously the angle of the sun in July/August being tinpot doesnā€™t help the spectacle either.

Iā€™d say that extends beyond the casual fan. Iā€™ve seen very little of the hurling championship and none of the football championship. I find with kids, theyā€™ve still got plenty of school term activities and sports going on over weekends in April and May and just donā€™t have the time to watch it. It doesnā€™t particularly bother me. When the Championship is on in July and August, Iā€™d have more time on my hands to sit down and watch a match on a Saturday night or Sunday afternoon.

Anything before seven or eight is glorified creche stuff. Kids start following teams at seven or eight. And having heroes to look up to helps to either i) keep them involved in a sport if they are already involved or ii) get them involved if they are not already involved.

Every single one of my childhood friends had particular football heroes they looked up to and tried to emulate the skills of.

GAA had little cachet in most suburban Dublin schools in the late 80s and early 90s. But everybody had heard of Barney Rock. Then our school got taken to a Dublin-Kerry league match in Croke Park and Gaelic football became more popular in the school and all the lads started taking the school team seriously because it offered the carrot of playing there.

When Dublin won the All-Ireland in '95, the charity match on the Wednesday night afterwards had to be abandoned because many hundreds of children invaded the pitch and mobbed Jason Sherlock.

If inter-county GAA did not serve as the major promotional tool for the sports, none of that would be true.

I donā€™t really get what your saying, on one hand you seem bothered, on the other you donā€™t?

The long and short of these underage competitions is minor only gets serious at knockout stages and u20 is shit compared to the old u21 championship which was on Wednesday nights.

If you changed the u20 to June it would be in the middle of the leaving cert. Iā€™d rather do a few college exams than the leaving cert while playing

Youā€™re talking of Dublin, which is a totally separate entity to pretty much the whole country. Its incomparable to how everywhere else has GAA either in schools or clubs.

If you want Dublin to be the sole market, then thats one thing. But i wouldnt be modelling everywhere else based on how it needs to be done in Dublin.

Saying how gaelic football only became popular in your school because of going to a game is not at all how it operates outside the pale. Dublin has its own issues in terms or retention and competition for sports etc, and ive already said here how i think the ā€œsuperā€ clubs is actually detrimental to the overall development there.

But youd be surprised to hear that the glorified creche is how the vast majority of kids start playing GAA and thats what gets them in.

3 Likes

The angle of the sun now an issue, ha ha ha.

Its the elephant in the room.

Saw a friend of mine drive in to the pitch last night and I thought the fuck is this lad doing here?

Got out and hurled with the chaps for an hourā€¦ Iā€™d say Iā€™ve seen him once in the pitch the previous 30 years. His kids are 6 and 4.

4 Likes

Heā€™s right. Most of the kids Iā€™d coach, and I include my own, have very little interest in sitting through a senior match.

Theyā€™re mad to play it; not so driven to watch it.

4 Likes

I think the split season is a great idea. Whatā€™s your definition of thriving though? Are player numbers gone up do you think? Thatā€™s the real barometer if it keeps more lads playing

100% agree. Consistent whinging about this structure without giving it any time to work or fail

1 Like

Still 8 weeks to club championship. Bloody long 7 months trying to keep players interested.

Canā€™t understand the logic of okayinf intercounty first. Akways thought the other way around would be better.

Let the intercounty boys one session a week together if needs be.

So all club action over by May. Club pitches empty for the rest of the year. That would be a total disaster.

1 Like

Who said May? Finish it last week of June, play intercounty July to October. Club league can go ahead with the county lads.

1 Like

We could do a GAA version of Loganā€™s run.

The GAA is well aware of the changing demographics and have been actually hiring analysts to look at club, school and census data to understand how they need to adjust for the same.

If children have so little interest in going to inter-county senior matches, why are there so many of them making a beeline for inter-county pitches at half-time?

:thinking: interesting since the 2nd best team of all time started winningā€¦you know in your soul ye stole an AI in 2019ā€¦yell be lucky to win one this decade

1 Like