Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

It’s more interesting without the English teams.

2 Likes

Give it a chance and we’ll see how it goes. I think inter county GAA as a popular spectator concept is dead in most counties anyway as nobody takes lower level competitions seriously. There’s absolutely nothing the GAA can do about that. They just need to find the most entertaining and competitive format for the big teams. They are on the way to that imo.

This is nonsense, the championships are dying because of poor choices by the simpletons who ran the GAA.

No they’re dying because society evolved and people from Leitrim and Carlow and probably 20 other counties realised that going out to play pointless matches against the same teams they had played for 100 plus years didn’t interest them any more.
I think a new format could work eventually but will take time.

The Munster championship is one of the world’s greatest competitions.

4 Likes

Its September or bust now for All Ireland Finals.

1 Like

Leinster sold out croker. I didn’t see that coming at all.

A push to August would be a step in the right direction… Start May bank holiday at the earliest… This April and July shit is wrong…

4 Likes

I wouldn’t start until late May.

The 2021 Hurling Championship format was grand and scheduled quite well even with a late June start. Space it out slightly more and it would have been almost perfect.

Waterford v Limerick and Mayo v Dublin in the 2021 AI Semi Finals in front of an 18k capped attendance felt way more like an occasion than the 2022 and 2023 Saturday semi finals put together.

2 Likes

I’d settle for mid and late august. A happy medium

2 Likes

There needs to be way less inter county games. That’s the starting point for all of this.

2 Likes

Marty has moved on from rivers

There needs to be club action from 20th April to 20th May to coincide with the World Snooker Championship and the end of the Premier League.

Counties need to be down to knockout in August/September under the below format in a 16 team championship.

Round 2 (winners section)
8 top teams from Round 1 play off against each other in four ties, the four winners qualify for the quarter-finals

Round 2 (Losers’ section)
The 8 bottom teams of the Round 1 play off against each other, winners advance to Round 3, losers are eliminated and into relegation.

Round 3: The four losers from Round 2 winners’ section play the four winners from Round 2 losers’ section - the four winners advance to the quarter-finals.

How they get to Round 2 in August is up to Counties themselves - you could do a round robin in April/May of three rounds to split the top 8 from the bottom 8, or you could do an open draw. Depends on if you are a dual county or not what you do here.

The good news is that every team would be still in the championship in August, and if you do well in April/May you could exempt yourself from relegation in the process.

Bottom line is clubs don’t really want big games from the June BH until after the August BH, with J1’s, Holidays, Weddings etc so having most counties finished Intercounty in May or June is ridiculous.

Policing the Intercounty manager in April/May could be an issue but they need to be told where to go.

Knock out is the way forward/backwards.

1 Like

That could have been the same for Dublin offaly and Kildare louth if only they were knock out

2 Likes

Time to bring back knock out.

That would be absolutely shit. Were you not around for the April club month when it was in or something?

The problem with it was it was too early - i.e. a round on March 31st and April 7th and it was just two weeks where your year could be effectively over if it didn’t go well.

Pushing it back to late April/May would be fine and if clubs don’t want to take it too seriously, that’s fine, but its on them if they end up in relegation later in the year.

The current system is a joke with many clubs just drifting along in no man’s land all year and end up being worse prepared in July than they ever were for April.

A 4 month gap mid season would be an absolute disaster, this stuff is actually important. I know you know that so its a very strange angle you’re taking. I don’t see what’s wrong with it now, in Tipp anyway a well defined league in both codes for 16ish weeks followed by a great championship with each code playing every second week again.

I agree that they have made a balls of the intercounty championships but don’t pretend the current system for clubs isn’t brilliant because it is.

1 Like

Imagine losing a few games in April/May and then waiting around for your relegation semi final in September, some craic

1 Like