Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Friday night games as a young lad are brilliant. Quick shower and straight out for pints.

I take it all back. Actually an inspired decision by the GAA to run off the Munster and Leinster Football Finals the same day as the European Cup Finals in soccer and rugby.

Just after catching the results there now. Did many bother attending or even watching?

1 Like

The days of live broadcasts of provincial football finals from the hurling provinces are surely numbered.

1 Like

I cant put it up here. Someone with technology wiÄșl put it up.

That was the basic model in Limerick until around 2014 or 15 but with 5 rounds of group games. then that first round date in May started to creep forward until we ended up playing two rounds of football the first two weekends in April. Which meant clubs having to fork out hundreds on floodlit astro rental. It was a decent model when it started it May, but i suspect the inter county managers began to demand more access to the players, resulting in it starting earlier.

Intercounty managers are the main reason for the split season, and we’ve no real choice but to proceed because, in certain quarters, they abused the April club month (which wasn’t exactly a great concept in the first place).

In the current system, Limerick can only just about get their Championship done and that’s going from the end of July. 17 weekends potentially required for certain clubs. It’s a pity but there’ll probably have to be a restructure of the club Championship in Limerick if the intercounty lads get their way; it’s a good format at the moment.

Anyone who declares they’re a QFA on their Twitter profile can’t be wrong.

1 Like

Same but different, I think Paddy Andrews should (possibly) be kneecapped for his Twitter handle. Think it references the financial investment/advisory firm he works with.

Whos that dope?

Give it ten years and the gaa will be on its knees. The clubs won’t be able to fund themselves as an even bigger divide grows between the non playing supporter and the players.

Inter county gaa will be about who has the best underage academy. Fellas will be leaving their clubs at 13 like in schools rugby and not coming back till they are 19.

I was just thinking the exact same thing, how could you be so proud of a qualification which requires so little knowledge or effort to obtain. People who put Doctor/PHD or whatever in their bio are cunts as well. But fucking hell, QFA like :joy:

1 Like

What a load of absolute nonsense.

6 Likes

Of course it will. The only way many counties will even get within an arses roar of competing is pumping money into academies.

The split season will lead to a massive reduction in clubs and a very similar system in rugby where all the best players are pulled from clubs to focus on schools rugby.

Rural gaa clubs will go the same as rural pubs. Slowly but surely they’ll all die out.

Absolute nonsense

2 Likes

There will be a reduction in the number of clubs, but its been happening for well over a decade and it isnt because of the split season.

1 Like

@BruidheanChaorthainn needs to stop talking about this topic.

He’s very knowledgeable on horse racing but clearly has no idea how the GAA works.

It’ll be multiplied by a 100 by the disastrous split season.

You’ve no idea how the gaa works if you think the split season is a good idea.