Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

It was great craic in those days. The senior league matches were on at 11 on a Sunday morning so you’d be coming out of a dressing room at 12.30 in time for pints. Holy hour (2 hours on a Sunday) so into Captain Americas or the Chicago Pizza for a burger and a pitcher of beer from 2-30 to 4-30 and then back to Mulligans for the day. Fuck this off the drink lark.

4 Likes

To bury the clubs six foot under.

I couldn’t understand why they were selling tickets in centra shops but it dawned on me. They know in ten or fifteen years that the majority of people will have no alignment with clubs so it makes sense.

It’s January to July this year and it’ll get extended a few weeks here and there over the next few years and they’ll basically have a nine month inter county season and the clubs can do what they like.

It’ll either lead to clubs playing with no inter county players or championships in November.

Really?

I get the feeling they want to turn it into a Premier League/NFL style Intercounty season where the top 10 Hurling teams would play each other home and away over an 18 week period, before some sort of play off system at the end.

Same thing in football with Division 1 & 2 teams playing some sort of league where everyone plays about 15 games before the knockout stages.

I’m not sure there’s any grand long term plan. They just seem to like tinkering and chopping and changing for the sake of it, even when things are working well.

With the advent of the round Robin, the Championship is now largely a league based competition, rather than a knock out. It seems a bit pointless having two league competitions played off one after the other. It’s a bit like the domestic soccer model in Argentina and some other South American countries where they have opening and closing leagues in the same season. They really should get rid of one of the 3 inter-county completions either Walsh Cup/Co-Op Superstores Munster Hurling Cup or the Opening League.

Would there not be a point in locking this thread until the season is over.

Ye are like a shower of auld ones speculating if a pregnant lady is having a girl or boy.

8 Likes

You’re going to need until the end of the season to formulate a view on whether or not it was a positive development for the All Ireland Hurling Quarter Finals to be downgraded to lunchtime on a Saturday behind a Northern Transvaal v Western Currie Cup rugby match in South Africa and the All Ireland B Football Championship semi finals?

Tough on Marty been out of the public limelight at the end of July.

Ballygunner v Passage will get the Waterford Senior Hurling Championship underway on 30 July just the mere 10 weeks after the Waterford hurlers ended their championship campaign in Ennis on 22 May. Amusingly all 12 teams in the group stages (4 groups of 3) will advance to the knock out stages.

No dates yet for knock out stages but will probably be late September before it finishes up.

Club football in Waterford seemingly on hold until after the hurling championship ends, so that will probably be early October before the Waterford Football Championships get underway. Waterford footballers exited the Tailtean Cup on 21 May.

They could surely get the football played in June and July in that case. What’s happening in Waterford at the minute? League games? I’d say they anticipated going much deeper in the hurling when they formulated that schedule.

The Wexford and Waterford championships get ridiculed in some quarters for playing hurling then football but most players prefer it this way.

League Final is tonight between Sion and Ballygunner

Ballygunner drew with Passage in their opening league match on 6 April. Nearly 12 weeks on from that, league final is on tonight - Ballygunner v Mount Sion.

Another 5 week hiatus then until the Senior Hurling Championship starts.

I wouldn’t be following the club football scene that closely, but I was talking to a pissed of club football chairman last week who estimates there’ll be about a 14 break between end of football league and start of the football championship.

Good few of the younger Waterford hurlers are abroad for the summer. Michael Kiely and Cathrach Daly are in Boston. Jamie Barron seemingly gone travelling.

Carlow and Wexford would be the same. 10 week gap between the end of the league and start of championship for footballers in Carlow. Hurling first in Wexford too. Of course the hurling first, football second scenario does encourage teams to play duel codes. St. Mullins of hurling fame won a Junior C football title in Carlow last year with a raft of Carlow hurlers involved.

I do agree with playing the championships seperately like in Waterford and Wexford. Chopping and changing between codes is ultimately a detriment for dual clubs. Loughmore are the outlier. All other dual clubs in Tipp throw in the towel in the football champuonship.

I’m fairly sure MLR had a good run in the Carlow football championship last year after going out of the hurling.

Ballinkillen beat Myshall in the opening round of the Carlow Senior Hurling Championship last weekend. I heard that Ballinkillen weren’t too happy with the scheduling, they had a few players abroad at a wedding. That’s an issue that clubs will invariably run into with championship games across the summer months.

Club Leagues in Waterford have been tipping away since the end of March even with the inter-county Championship starting on 17 April. I’m sure it’s the same in most counties.

I’d imagine the logical step next year is to push the inter-county championship back 5 or 6 weeks to finish late August/early September. Club championships get going in mid to late August once family holidays, weddings, stags and the like are out of the way.

Mount Leinster Rangers got to the semi finals in the Carlow Football Championship last year where they were soundly beaten by Eire Og.

Mount Leinster Rangers had an 11 week gap between the Carlow hurling final on 19 September and facing Ballyhale Shamrocks on 4 December. Ballyhale Shamrocks beat O’Loughlins in Kilkenny final on 7 November.

I was at the Shamrocks v Rangers game. A very rusty Rangers handed Shamrocks an early 9 point lead. Dean Mason pulled off a great save a few minutes from the end to prevent Rangers from levelling it up. Talking to some of the Rangers crew afterwards and they were saying they felt if they weren’t so rusty in the first quarter after 11 weeks without hurling, they could have won.

2 Likes

The brother togged at junior d or e. Dunno who for. Hadn’t hurled in 10 years

Kanturk got to the final of both competitions last year in Cork.

Kerry senior hurling championship starts tonight

Final to be played on the August weekend! I expect it will be the first senior hurling or football championship in the country to be wrapped up!!???

All nice and dandy\handy to have it out of the way for the club football championships , few hurling clubs hit hard by J1 absentees

1 Like