GAA Teams of the Decade

Didn’t even score that ‘wonder point’-passed it to de Paor I think.
Thought he was a very good footballer myself. Loved watching that Galway team.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]There are many ordinary players out there with two All Ireland medals. His ‘wonder point’ against Kildare was all about his engine, of which he had a great one.

I watched him for many years in the flesh and never struck me as even nearly the most talented footballer on that team. His freekicks were bulltoes, he wasn’t a great fielder despite playing in midfield on occasion and contributed relatively little on the score sheet for a forward.[/quote]

A creative skillful player with pace, accuracy and flair who lit up the open spaces of Croke Park. Great man for gaining possession who could turn defense into attack in an instant. His blockdown which led to Paul Clancy scoring the winning point against Armagh in 01 was the crucial moment in Galways march to Sam that year. A player more interested in playing football then sucking the life out of it which is the way the game is played to-day and probably cosntitutes good football in you weary eyes.

That is all your Galway tinted glasses opinion. I would have a lot of time for that Galway team, particularly Joyce, Fallon, Walsh, Deccie, Mannion and De Paor, but always felt that Donnellan was massively overrated for reasons already outlined.

Thank you.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]leitrim squandered their talent.

There was an all ireland in that team in the early part of this decade. Reached connacht final in 2000.[/quote]

wtf?

Take no notice MBB. You may notice earlier in the thread he said Declan Browne didn’t deserve a mention, his opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Farmer, would donnellan have made the leitrim team of the early 2000s?:pint:

Fair enough so.

I woulda said Donegal, Laois, Derry, Limerick at a push, jaysus Leitrim wouldn’t have come close!

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Leitrim squandered their talent.

There was an All Ireland in that team in the early part of this decade. Reached Connacht final in 2000.[/quote]

:eek: and you accused Laz of Galway Tinted glasses fucking hell lad you must have a Leitrim tinted telescope if you believe that.

Ja Fallon was always my favourite player of that Galway team. Even the name Ja sounds so cool and yes that is a thinly veiled I wish I was Ja Fallon post.

A pisstake.

In response to Lazarus’ 20 teams in Ireland commment.

Not kidding. In relative terms there’d be about 20 or so counties who’d feel they’ve under-achieved considering the talent they’ve had at their disposal this decade. Galway, Armagh despite winning an All-Ireland this decade would fall into this bracket. Dublins 5 Leinsters are indeed nice but completely irrelevant. Derry and Mayo as ever have under achieved, ditto Cork. It would actually be easier to list teams who have actually utilised their talent to achieve something of note in the latter half of this decdade. Kerry and Tyrone obviously, Sligo, maybe Antrim, maybe Wexford

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]A pisstake.

In response to Lazarus’ 20 teams in Ireland commment.[/quote]

Ah right, my mistake. :thumbsup:

Few county’s can fully untilise the talent available to them, theres always going to be fall off from minor to senior etc. 20 still seems high even by those mediocre targets.

[quote=“Julio Geordio”]:eek: and you accused Laz of Galway Tinted glasses fucking hell lad you must have a Leitrim tinted telescope if you believe that.

Ja Fallon was always my favourite player of that Galway team. Even the name Ja sounds so cool and yes that is a thinly veiled I wish I was Ja Fallon post.[/quote]

:clap:
Shur Im only wasting valuable space on the INTERNET here trying to have a debate with a Leitrim lad about football.

Shur Im only wasting valuable space on the INTERNET here trying to have a debate with a Leitrim lad about football.[/quote]

:smiley:

Ja Fallon was a magician alright, but Toms Mannion was the man for me, him or Walsh, Galway have replaced neither of em.

[QUOTE
Few county’s can fully untilise the talent available to them,

Christ would you ever make your mind up

Galway got them through to senior, but didnt have the coaches to get over the line. THe likes of Laois never even saw half of em play fucking U21, thats what I’m referring to.

Ja Fallon was a magician alright, but Toms Mannion was the man for me, him or Walsh, Galway have replaced neither of em.[/quote]

True this, sad but true

Lads, what makes a player great?

You could be here all day but I think one of the things that has a factor is ability to play equally well in the backs and forwards.

The one player that springs to mind in this regard is Graham Geraghty. Deeply obnoxious but a great player.

Geraghty isnt fit to wipe Toms/Marc/Darragh’s arse. There’s your great players.

Brendan Reilly played backs and forward for Meath, scary stuff.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Lads, what makes a player great?

You could be here all day but I think one of the things that has a factor is ability to play equally well in the backs and forwards.

The one player that springs to mind in this regard is Graham Geraghty. Deeply obnoxious but a great player.[/quote]

Ya your dead right here farmer Donellan was a great centre back in his day. Good point well made :clap::clap: