GAA's The Toughest Trade

This probably deserves a thread of its own at this stage. As mentioned previously, Brendan Maher is off in Australia doing a bit of cricket, so obviously no one really gives a fuck about this.

Aidan O’Shea has now been confirmed as the second participant and he’ll be trying out for America’s Game, Gridiron. No word of who the pro athletes participating will be, or what organisation O’Shea will pitch up at.

In fairness to the production they did last year, it wasnt bad, but in a strange logic for TV3, they could have dragged it out much more, and 2 hour long shows on each “trade” would have worked IMO. Maybe they were just gauging it or whatever, but unlike them, they left it too short and as a result it was a bit all over the place going from place to place.

O Shea wont go to an NFL team I reckon, he’ll end up at a low level college team and be thrown in at tight end I’d say.

1 Like

Ya that could get embarrassing. Its one thing falling in with technical sports like baseball and cricket where size and fitness are relevant but not determining. NFL athletes are freaks.

Would he not be dwarfed by tight ends?

What size is he?

O Shea I thought is about 6’4? Which would be about average I reckon for tight ends. Obviously the top end ones like Gronk/Graham/Eifert etc are 6’6 or so, but the standard bearers like Gates, Miller, Olsen, Reed would be in around the same height. I’d say his bulk would be down on them alright, but thats a given. I couldnt see any other position he would fit into, as he would be too small for the O/D lines, too slow for WR/RB, and not clued in enough for DB. And at least if he was at a low college level he would match up pretty ok size wise.

i’d concur be far harder to learn a defensive position…if not he’d be a big LB and too slow

Going by the level they sent tyrrell and kernan to he’ll be doing well to go to any type of college. Mayo cunts will probably get Luke Keuchly over to mark the baysht.

2 Likes

He would get killed as anything but a receiving TE, a fullback maybe. I doubt they would let him get hurt as an interior lineman on either side and he is way too slow to play LB

Maybe he is, but i would have thought 6’2 or 3 max

yeahhe could be alright, but even so, that wouldnt be too bad. Jordan Reed was one of the better performing tight ends this year and he is only 6.2. And then you have giants like Scott Chandler who is 6.8 and does fuck all. I’d say the average tight end is about 6.4 or 6.5 so either way, he wouldnt be massively off.

He’s 6’ 3 I believe which I’d view as what you said, around 6’ 4. He’ll end up in a college somewhere, and will be given a few hits and have great crack.

Incidentally, he’s a huge basketball fan and played a bit, I was surprised they didn’t take that angle, but I guess he’d be belittled by a decent college baller.

1 Like

yeah whatever about NFL, at least there you can throw a few hits and whilst out of place, not be completely lost. but the basketball would make shit of him in all aspects of it.

1 Like

This is great - bullied by a little scrote from Ballymun and now he’s taking on American linebackers.

4 Likes

Some Stephen Harmison cricketer fella is hurling with Borris-Ileigh

That could be Steve Harmison.

That’s quite a leap to make.

1 Like

As in Grievous Bodily Harmison?

:rage:

Harmy is an alright sort.

2 Likes