Galway - quadruple travails part 2

Cathal Sweeney gone from the 26 altogether :no_good_man:. Great to see Cian Hernon back involved.

If the injury rumours are true ye might have no other choice. I hear a few lads have walked away from the squad as well which isn’t what usually happens for a side looking to win an All-Ireland.

1 Like

Who’s gone?

I see a few of the U20’s are on the bench tomorrow.

Cassidy and McGuckian were 2, but others as well I think. It’s an odd set-up when the sight of a fella playing a league game for his club means he has walked away from the county set-up.

McGuckian barely played a minute in two years to be fair. You’d hardly blame him.

I see the younger McDermott from Glen is a sub despite still being a schoolboy.

Wouldn’t blame any of them, it’s ridiculous to stop lads playing club when they are on the very fringes of the county set-up. At the same time lads generally don’t leave a happy camp where things are going well and leave the chance of being involved in an AI final behind them.

4 Likes

Was at a wedding last night in the Galway Bay Hotel and I have to say that the Derry footballers are a thoroughly sound bunch, It’ll be a pleasure to lose by 5 points later on. McFaul in particular was a good sport when asked if he’s out on bail.

8 Likes

I hope they enjoyed some of the world famous Galway hospitality.

1 Like

Meanwhile the Galway lads are slumming it in the Galmont where they’ll be treated to a world class band later should they so wish
I could post up a litany of celebrity spots, but they’d probably be declined as being at work.

1 Like

Kinvara making strides with the big ball.

Congratulations to Kinvara GAA

• 2024 U-19 ‘B’ North Football League Champions

Kinvara overcame Caherlistrane after extra time, by 1-12 to 1-10, at Tuam Stadium on Wednesday evening

+18

[

BurrenEye Photography

rednsopSotg7mf59f10h9iflg6h7cm8f585it172fifacfc0i19ul4h20763 ·
Kinvara overcame Caherlistrane in a close encounter in Tuam Stadium after extra time in the Galway U19B North Board Football League Final this Wednesday evening 22nd May 2024 - a small sample of images attached;
](BurrenEye Photography)

1 Like

How to the GAA feel about filling a cup with macchiato?

Dark times.

Ruben and Seth could do great things for Kinvara at Junior in years to come.

Lee Keegan tries to understand the Galway psyche. Is no wiser by the end of it.

The real Galway stands up as Derry face crossroads

Updated / Thursday, 23 May 2024 09:31

Salthill reminded us how quickly a team’s fortunes can change

The shadow-boxing is ongoing but we’re finally seeing the real Galway stand up.

Watching the game in Salthill last Saturday was a jolting reminder of how a team’s fortunes can change so quickly.

Here was a sense of two teams travelling in opposite directions. That euphoric Connacht final win could be the spark that has ignited Galway’s season. In contrast, the sucker punch that Derry took in the Jim McGuinness-orchestrated ambush in Celtic Park appears to have rocked their confidence and disturbed their momentum. All of a sudden, Galway look like they’re ahead of Derry in the pecking order.

We all anticipated that Derry would be refreshed after the five-week break and would roar out of the traps, similar to Mayo in Killarney 12 months ago. Instead, their performance raised more doubts and questions about where their summer is headed.

Seán Kelly palming home the opening goal

Obviously, Gareth McKinless’ bizarre moment of madness had a massive impact on the game. It’s already attracted plenty of comment, and Pádraic Joyce was fairly strident in his post-match comments, understandably so. Suffice to say, it was a bad, bad act and really quite hard to fathom. I don’t know if it was borne of frustration but it had big ramifications on a couple of fronts.

He’s a bit of a loose cannon on the pitch and is great to watch, I would rate him really highly as a player. But his madness crossed the line last Sunday. That type of ill-discipline is a bad sign, in general.

Galway punished them well and looked really slick and assured for the rest of the game. Paul Conroy again proved that age is just a number. His first big win over Derry was in the minor final in 2007 and he scored the winner as a 19-year-old in the Connacht final against Mayo in 2008 - a few years before my own championship debut.

With the help of John Maher, he completely bossed the lauded Derry midfield last weekend - three points, 44 possessions. Matthew Tierney, who was out of action between the Tyrone league game and the Connacht final, was excellent throughout and seized on that loose short kick-out that set up the first goal.

They’re a funny bunch, Galway. They can blow very hot or very cold. Despite our closeness, I always struggled to figure out their psyche but they are a massive momentum team

Add to that, Shane Walsh is beginning to motor again, and Galway could be back to the team that went all the way to the 2022 All-Ireland final.

They’re a funny bunch, Galway. They can blow very hot or very cold. Despite our closeness, I always struggled to figure out their psyche but they are a massive momentum team.

When they hit a stale patch, they can be pretty ponderous and the crowds tend to disappear. But when they get rolling and things start to click, they’re a team who can take off. They’re capable of anything. And the signs are they have that momentum back.

1 Like

Kevin Cooney on the extended panel, he must be making progress.

Mannion back on the bench. Beano is a loss.

2 Likes

If Galway do get over this and make it out of Leinster, he’d be a very nice bonus to have, even off the bench for the knockout stages.

2 Likes

In other news, the baysht was seen walking the prom recently without undue difficulty.

2 Likes

Debatable

When he’s in the mood