Galway - quadruple travails part 2

Yes when i saw that i knew i was absolutely fucked.

Should have lumped on Corofin for the All Ireland during the week as an insurance policy when they were a price.

They are some club.

1 Like

Corofin are basically the East Kerry of Galway.

Big pick but to keep coming back and producing new players every couple of years is some going.

Play lovely football but well able get down and dirty and win by any means possible when needed.

1 Like

Frank Fox will be renamed Frank Morris

5 Likes

They do.
They have some board. Remarkable what they’ve done. The club is front and centre.

That’s exactly it. Matched and even bettered Moycullen for intensity and physicality all over the pitch which is no mean feat.

Once they did that they had the more natural footballers and better bench and buried the game when they got a sniff of it in the third quarter.

The thing that separates them from most club sides these days and indeed always is how comfortable on the ball they all are and their willingness to play kick passes which are extremely accurate.

Its not the old guard hanging on either, the farraghers, steede, ian burke, dairhi burke, fitzy etc all gone.

Gavin burke, Egan, Cogger, Gill and McCabe are the new kids on the block. Liam Silke, Dylan McHugh, Kieran Molloy and Dillon Wall are now their driving force. They’ll win Connacht if they’re bothered and could easily end up in the AIF.

Sean Kelly was a massive loss for Moycullen and his recent injury woes are very worrying. I’m not sure even his presence would have beaten Corofin today all the same.

I’ve said before Moycullen are light a blue chip forward and it showed again. Young Cox may be the answer but hes a few years away from it yet.

They may also look at their style of play. Corofin play a much nicer brand of football. That said they’re going nowhere and will be right in the mix for the foreseeable future cc @Diabhal

As mentioned already its a must Liam Silke stays around from a Galway point of view, a rolls royce. Dylan McHugh also huge for the county team. Conor Corcoran at corner back for Moycullen looks like a lad that should get a call up from PJ.

3 Likes

Galway SFC final: ‘I’m so grateful’ – Corofin’s Gary Sice pays tribute to club’s support after wife’s death last year

5 Likes

Kelly and McDaid both hampered with niggling injuries this year. Needless to say Galway need both fully fit and firing next year if they are to have any chance. Think the Galway squad are off to Thailand tomorrow for a team holiday.

1 Like

Add in Finnerty and Jack Glynn too. Four massive cogs in the Galway wheel. PJ needs to sort these injuries pronto.

Corofin winning is the best case scenario for Joyce really. There’s no guarantee that Liam Silke would return with his focus (correctly) being the career. From that then you’re looking at Molloy, Power, Darragh Silke, Gill and maybe Steede missing from the winter panel if they come out of Connacht.

Sean Kelly badly needs a few months off. I’d nearly even rest him for most of the League in all honesty. I think he’s being playing non-stop between club, county, college and America since 2020. Out of that Moycullen side then you’d be looking at Eoghan Kelly, Mulcahy and Corcoran to try out again in the FBD/Allianz. A certain ginger wing forward might not be in the country for 2024 but it’s still in the air.

4 Likes

I remember last year it was almost expected that Mountbellya would hammer Corofin (minus Silke & Molloy) and finish them for a few years. Instead they edged it by one point and Corofin knew they had another team to go to war with for years to come.

1 Like

BTW it’s a real shame to see Paul Kelly anonymous out there today when the game was calling out for a lad to link up with Cooke and Gallagher. The lad was meant to be even better than the brothers but doesn’t seem to have anything about him at senior level.

Cooke would be a serious loss. Thought he was Moycullen’s best player by a mile this year. Hopefully the yanks don’t summon him back over for next year. That said young Egan robbed him brilliantly for a clutch Corofin point down the home stretch.

McCabe and Egan acquitted themselves mighty out there today. Two absolute demons for the donkeywork.

1 Like

Surprisingly Corofins second team struggled badly at intermediate this year.

Indeed he was their best player by some distance as you say. PJ better do whatever it takes for him to stay around.

Agreed. A huge disappointment today. Completely anonymous.

How did the Offaly import play? Where do they position him?

Scored the late Moycullen goal but he was blown for steps about 3 times.

1 Like

You have to take into account he’s used to running on soft ground.