Galway - quadruple travails part 2

True

Nicky would have a high opinion of himself and Iā€™d say even he wouldnā€™t consider himself generational. There were 3 Wilsons involved with them, the days of 3 brothers on any team are nearly done and itā€™s that change in society that is having the biggest impact on rural clubs.

1 Like

If SW had his head on point as opposed to up his own hole last season weā€™d have Sam sitting pretty on the Prom

Killererin had a few tidy players since like Tom Fahy, Colin Forde and Mike Boyle but they never kicked on from promising underage successes at intercounty. Fahy in particular was a lad I was certain would make it as a half back but I donā€™t think he was committed and Galway were losing to Wexford and Westmeath at home in qualifiers back then.

Donā€™t think weā€™re far off in the football, but probably lacking that bit of cutting edge on the line. Noting ive seen from PJ so far would make me think that heā€™s an All Ireland winning manager material.

Massively. Youā€™d still see families with 3 footballing brothers but the likes of 6 Meehans for Caltra is unlikely to ever be seen again. Contraception and family planning is inadvertently killing the rural GAA club.

2 Likes

Theres fuckall contrception in Caltra

4 Likes

I was listening to ā€œThe madness of footballā€ podcast episode about Galway in 66 the other day. In the final 10 mins they eviserated the Galway football culture. 2 All Irelands in the bones of 60 years and there is an entitlement in the county that they are AI contenders every year.

1 Like

Harsh. If it wasnā€™t for a disgraceful free out to Kerry late on that stunted Galways momentum weā€™d have had Sam sitting pretty in Eyre Square in 22

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget the defeat to Antrim in 2012. Although I think that may have been in Casement. Christ Waterford came within a point of Galway the following year.

1 Like

Youā€™ll always have ex players bitching and moaning.
The fact remains a county that produces as many classy players as Galway will naturally feel it should have a genuine chance
Its something other counties can only dream of

2 Likes

Sure how many counties have won it more often than that since? 5 or 6 maybe, including ourselves? Then a couple of flash in the pans like Offaly and Tyrone. Whether it be club, underage or senior, if you are a better outfit than Galway then you are probably serious contenders.

1 Like

Maybe PJ should send them out next year telling them them they havenā€™t a hope and the lads be happy then

Dublin, Kerry, Meath, Tyrone, Donegal, Cork, Down and Offaly.

Michaelā€™s gone too, and location numbers wouldnā€™t be an issue, albeit no doubt salthill knocknacarra will be aiming to do The Borg on them.

Donegal have only 2 in their history. I doubt even Galway people consider themselves the football equals of Kerry and Dublin, but they would be in the next list of counties. At minor, u20 and senior club Iā€™d say they are in the top 5 for each in terms of AIā€™s won

It was Barna man Maurice Brosnan that made the point. He maintained that if Galway had maintained their rate of picking up all Irelands post 66 they would have 6 up to the present day and not 2. He also alluded to large underage droughts over the past 60 years.

He maintains Galway football people have rose tinted glasses about football. The wax lyrically about the great forwards they produce like Walsh, Meehan, Fallon and Joyce. The other great forwards of the past 60 years eclipse those with medals.

Iā€™d compare similarly to some Tipperary hurling supporters.

Iā€™d say if anything they didnā€™t get as much from underage teams as they possibly should have done over the last 20 odd years anyway. All-Ireland U21 winners in 2002 and 2005 with the likes of Meehan and Armstrong causing wreck. Then another couple in 2011 and 2013. That Fiontain Oā€™ Corraoin never really kicked on from those teams. Think he had bad luck with injuries? More underage success than Mayo during that period.

A minor title thrown in there in 2007 too.

There was a Connaught championship around 12/13 where Mayo absolutely annihilated them in a game. It think that defeat really impacted a lot of those players.

Tom Flynn was another off those teams.