Galway - quadruple travails part 2

Is Daithi Burke togging for Corofin this year? Not named tonight.

I see Ian Burke is back.

He’s seriously skillful for such a tall lad. The little chip of the ball when he skinned Gavin White early in the match was sublime. I think it was off a quick kick out, but Kelly’s run caused chaos in the Kerry defence, and we ended up winning a handy free off the move.

3 Likes

Won a couple of kickouts that they got scores from. Think he needs to be playing closer to goal though. You don’t want such a big fella running up and down the wing all game. He’s a huge goal threat closer to goal and then you can move him out for some kickouts. Still only a young lad. And as already said, he’s surprisingly skillful for such a big unit.

2 Likes

In light of the AIF loss I have had lads giving out about him. I thought he had some really good moments. He has bags of potential and is a good big ‘un to boot. I’d definitely stick with him in ‘23.

2 Likes

Didn’t hear. I’ll find out.

1 Like

Patrick Kelly strikes me as a player who will go up a couple of levels over the next few years.

I think he’ll be a top, top player by 2024/25.

3 Likes

He seems to be a lot more dangerous one on one in the club so far. Paul Kelly could have a lot of work to do to get into the Galway 15.

Have you seen young Mcloughlin from Moycullen? Meant to have serious potential, plays midfield i think

Moycullen have a fair team between the kellys × 3, mcloughlin, gallagher and dessie. Thats without Peter Cooke.

Cooke is back with them. Scored 0-5 in the first round last weekend. I was actually standing near McLaughlin one night during race week. Some size of a young fella. Quad injury kept him out for nearly the entire intercounty season. Think he got a few minutes during the FBD then was out for the league and championship.

2 Likes

Don’t see him there

1 Like

Love their nicknames in Tuam.

11 Likes

He’s gone travelling with the missus. Another casualty of the split season.

Papered over the cracks. Salthill Knocknacarra beat them by 10 points for a finish.

Wasnt with them at all this year I hear. Long way from Loughrea to Mountbellew.

True, but probably the nearest senior club to him, besides Monive Abbey. Plus, his mother is a Mountbellew woman so there’s a strong link.

Ahhhhh there ya go.

No big ball til small ball is done

3 Likes

Shane Walsh’s transfer to Kilmacud Crokes confirmed

Updated / Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 18:24

The 29-year-old is completing a BA in physical education at Portobello College in Dublin and wants to cut back on travel to training and matches, having commuted to Galway over the past year

By John Fallon

RTÉ Sport reporter

Shane Walsh’s transfer to Kilmacud Crokes has been confirmed and the Galway star has been cleared to play for them in the Dublin championship.

It is understood that his home club Kilkerrin-Clonberne did not lodge an objection to the controversial transfer, but the north Galway club have voiced their unhappiness over rural clubs battling to hold on to their players.

A Croke Park spokesman confirmed that the transfer had been cleared by the association’s Central Competitions Control Committee.

The 29-year old, set to win his first All Star this year after crowning a superb season by kicking nine points in the All-Ireland final loss to Kerry, has stated the move will help prolong his career.

Walsh is completing a BA in physical education at Portobello College in Dublin and wants to cut back on travel to training and matches, having commuted to Galway over the past year.

But Walsh said he is determined to return to Kilkerrin-Clonberne at some stage in the future.

His home club opened their Galway intermediate championship with a 2-8 to 1-10 win over Headford in his absence with a late rally.

And this Friday evening Kilkerrin-Clonberne will take on Killererin, Padraic Joyce’s home club, in the second round of games.

But they will do so without their No.14 — match programmes for the Galway championship were printed before Walsh announced his intention to move — who is now free to link up with his new Kilmacud Crokes team-mates, although it remains unclear when he will make his debut for them.