Galway - quadruple travails part 2

I think we’ll be competitive, but 4/1 is insane.
I reckon we are in full transition and this is a 50:50.
I’m not retreating to the long grass here, just this is a significantly changed spine.
David Burke is an absolutely huge loss imho.

Is it not basically the same team as last year without David Burke (and Cathal Mannion)? Who didn’t start in a lot of Leinster games last year.

1 Like

We’ll see if it lines out like that. Just think that’s two absolute stalwarts gone. It looks more transitional than last year. Also Wexford didn’t give a flying fcuk about the league, have put all their eggs in the championship basket, and have a very very good first team.
This is a full on booby trap.

Oh I agree that you couldn’t read anything into Wexford’s league form and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was very close.

But I still think that looks like a pretty strong Galway team on paper. The likes of Murphy, Grealish, Monaghan, Glennon, Fahy were all regular starters last year, the only real new starter is Kevin Cooney.

Few young fellas on the bench aswell, we’ll see how they get on. I do think ye probably need one or two of those younger fellas to secure starting spots to kick on as there are some question marks over the consistency of some of your forwards.

Jason Flynn has been consistent.

1 Like
3 Likes

Was at those games. One for the things that make you feel old thread

2 Likes

Got absolutely fucking soaked in Tuam the first day. Went to it full of confidence, but typical sheep stealing performance of sheer pigheadedness nearly won it for the cunts. The free for Neil Finnegan at the end was for nathin. How history would be different if it wasn’t awarded.

5 Likes

Was at both :+1:

2 Likes

I was behind the goal Galway played in to in the first half. Ming was beside us, balloobas with ale and other substances. Point down near the end and ref blows for a free. Twas a free in to the Rossies but the ref pointed the other way and Galway went up the pitch and got another free which Finnegan nailed. Very lucky that day.

6 Likes

i was only a good spit away from you!

1 Like

We were the lads roaring ‘pull away’.

1 Like

I was roaring Ref you cunt

2 Likes

The rain that day, and sun splitting the stones at the replay. We had a good schelp in Johnos in Ros afterwards :beer::beer:

You’ll admit yourself he hasn’t been the indomitable force he was up to about 2019 and he’s been in decline since. The occasional 10 minute burst was merely camouflaging the fact that he was done.
Shefflin is one bloke you’d think that would quickly recognise that sentiment won’t win you stuff.

1 Like

Shefflin has lads like Cathal Mannion and Joseph Cooney that haven’t put 10 championship minutes together combined in nearly 5 years tbf.

Couldn’t go the replay as I had a summer job working in the old long bar in Ballybrit. I remember watching it up at the racecourse. Again, another fortuitous moment got us over the line in the Hyde. The free in to Finnegan aside, I remember thinking that the ref gave us nothing up to that point.

1 Like

I was at every game in 98 and 2001.

If Padraig/c Joyce was born somewhere else we’d be approaching mayo famine levels at this stage.

This Galway u20 hurling team is really struggling, only beating Wexford by 3 points tonight.

1 Like

Ya, what’s happening to these victorious minors. Dropping off so quickly. I know the format is that are going to progress out of Leinster anyway, so i’ll reserve judgement for now. Watched them against Dublin and they were very poor.