Galway

Down the side of the hotel and take your life in your hands :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Many a scrap I had with cunts from other parishes outside Ringos of Loughrea. Floor was like fucking super glue.

Is Ffrench’s still going?

2 Likes

Is monivea still going?

See @flattythehurdler 's question :smile:

It was a long trek out to saddlers when you (at 16) weren’t let into Ringo’s.

2 Likes

I actually drove through it just before Christmas. Had been 25 years since I was last in place I’d say. An unusual place with its very wide ‘street’. Kind of a feel of a prod town in the north about it. Saw Ffrench’s, but I was otherwise focused on not careering off the icy road at the time.

1 Like

I once asked directions for monivea, and was told "head east out of town, and every time you come to a junction, take the smallest road out of it and you’ll end up there.

4 Likes

Those directions were actually spot on.

Were you barred from the bus as well as Ringo’s?

The bouncers at Ringo’s were some cans of piss.

2 Likes

Never thank God.

The Auld Yarns thread

The reference to Ffrench family would give away that it was a Protestant built village yes, which reminds me of an aul yarn…

Not so fado, but back when hurling finals were occasionally played in the old Pearse Stadium, two brothers from a neighbouring house got up early on a County Final Sunday morning to cycle to Salthill for the game.
The game was won and a tour of public houses began on the way home until they got to Athenry. After a time in Athenry the 2 boys were worse for wear and while they attempted to make it home the affect of drink prevailed and our boys found lodgings in a cosy hayshed outside of the town. They arrived home early Monday morning, famished and hungover to a waiting and anxious mother, relieved to have them home and ready to spit nails at their adventure. When finally the dust settled after they getting their Leasadh teanga from the mother, the thought crossed her to ask
“Did ye get Mass yesterday lads?”
“We did mother”
“And where did ye get it?”
“In Monivea mother”…Mammy knew…Her sons souls were going to eternal damnation.

6 Likes

@KinvarasPassion there was some crowd in Sullivan’s this evening.The waitress was telling me some “very good” darts player was playing an exhibition in the Niteclub.The player was Gary Anderson :grin:,I fucked up as I hadn’t my darts with me and there was still tickets available to play him :rage:

1 Like

Big darts scene around Gort alright. Did you have the beef?

I usually do but the had a chicken and vegetable curry on special so I had that with rice and chips and a pint of milk.A noble feed.The place was rammed with Limerick folks heading home from Galway,Supermacs was out the door with them.Itss a little tradition of myself and the young lad to stop in Sullivan’s now when we’re returning from the sunny upland’s in the North West

2 Likes

Always a nice vibe in there. Food is always tasty and there is always plenty of it. That nightclub out back is where most South Galway lads learned their trade.

2 Likes

Id say you’d have needed your wits about you if you were in there back in the day

Supposed to be a lovely chap.

If I’d have had my darts with me I’d have told you first hand but I was playing competition Friday night and left them behind me.

1 Like

Bump

2 Likes