General Election - Housing Manifestos

Wheres this quote from? It sounds suspiciously like the one i heard on the radio so i very well could have mistaken 52 for 92.

But then a poster here swears theres 50 around a 5 a side pitch in artane and another who founded a charity on the southside and saw the other 42 on one street nightly so hyperbole wise im doing ok

I think they move around a lot cos at times you’d swear there is more than 2 of them.

:joy::joy::joy:. That sounds suspicious alright.

That’s 92 in South Dublin County Council by the way for those who don’t like reading the detail.

That Clontarf pitch is in Dublin City Councils area. There’s probably another 60 around the GAA pitches in Fingal and Dun Laoghaire Rathdown each.

Ok. So you’d prefer to keep people homeless because it’s cost effective.

A very quick scan of the start of that puts land acquisition at 57 and margin at 38, that’s nearly 100 that a council shouldn’t or may not need to spend.

Is that an average of 92 rough sleepers per night over the winter months, or the total of rough sleepers cumulatively over the winter months?

I feel we’re all invested in this KPI now so it would be good to get some clarity on this figure.

There are thousands of houses available in rural Ireland but these people don’t want to live there you gom.

Maybe the government could incentivise them to move & maybe help boost rural Ireland as opposed to closing Primary Schools everywhere.

A lot of these people need to live near their mammies

Not clear it is.

The council said: “92 persons were confirmed as rough sleeping across the Dublin region in Winter 2019.

This says 86

I’d like a lot of things that budget can never stretch to.

If you make a simple decision that the budget can never stretch to x y or z and so you are happy for things not to be improved then nothing will ever improve and quite likely everything will get a lot worse. It’s a silly outlook in my opinion.

It’s safe to say the number is somewhere between 50 and 600

Ah stop. You’d be up in arms if the government started moving the most vulnerable people to rural Ireland. Anyway, where are these thousands of government owned houses ready for people to move into? They might be a good option for some people but of course for lots of very good reasons they wouldn’t suit many. But we should definitely explore these imaginary state owned houses as an option

1 Like

Not to be tarring all rough sleepers with the same brush, but there are urban legends of some actually turning down houses and preferring the life they chose. There were two I remember seeing in Thurles on match days around the Square and when I asked the locals, they told me they had been sleeping rough for over thirty years. That’s two in one mid sized rural town. The lad with the rabbit that does be on Henry Street must be at it for over 10 years now. It might be an unfashionable thing to say but it must be the life they chose.

You keep jumping the shark here. It’s childish on your part.
Not enough houses in Dublin, rents too high & still no one with the means to live wants to move away.
Whatever about building all these houses & homing these people asap, houses have to be planned & built properly. That takes time.

Expectations are a cruel thing, an example being of that car you were selling. You felt it was worth more but the market stated otherwise. Get my drift?

I haven’t said they shouldn’t be planned and properly built.

You expected the Minister to click his fucking fingers. @Gman stated he thought FG were on the right track but could move it on and you disagreed.

Murphy must have fucked a threesome up on you at some stage. You have an irrational hatred of him.

He has already had a rant about people getting free houses in rural Ireland - now he wants people to get free houses in rural Ireland :man_shrugging:

Will he want extended family / support also moved down the country to be around and help these people being moved down the country?