General Election - Housing Manifestos

50!

This is a housing thread specifically setup by @Gman to not become a debate about other matters. Let’s honour the great man and stick to housing on this topic.

5 Likes

My understanding is that the City Council and Waterways Ireland did check the tents before removing them but obviously something went wrong here, so I think it is important that the City Council and the Lord Mayor, who is politically responsible for the City Council, should make a statement and Waterways Ireland too.

“We will do everything we can to reduce rough sleeping. I remember when we took over the housing department over three and half years ago, there were over 160 people sleeping rough on streets in Dublin. That is now down to 92. There is more work to be done but we have made more progress.”

Where can they be built cheaper & by how much?

You’re a dreamer, it’s admirable but not cost effective.

1 Like

This is a report from 3 years ago which took final costs of multiple developments in Dublin. It wasn’t just one project or a one off house price. Average cost to have a 3 bed semi detached house built was €330k. That definitely will have increased since the study was completed, not as much as @Tim_Riggins example, but these would be typical of normal houses required for buyers, whether private or affordable.

https://www.scsi.ie/news/view?id=73

330k per house is not cheap. And added to the inflation since then is a change in building regulations.

1 Like

How dare you!

Is it time to start knocking down all these old Georgian buildings?

Ffs

No. Whatever about the imperialistic history of them, they have character and add to areas they are in. I’ve done a few refurbs on some in Dublin and when done right, they look fantastic. Serious money to do up, but unreal jobs. There was a load of them on Henrietta St near Bolton street and Kings Inn which had gone to absolute ruin and it’s awful to see them deteriorate like that. Haven’t been around there lately so would be nice to see them restored.

2 Likes

Refrubed for single family or business premises?

They are NOT ENERGY EFFICIENT

Where do the other 2 sleep?

3 Likes

Family homes in the main, couple of office fit outs too.

1 Like

I know they look great when properly revitalised but they take up huge space and when they’re also crumbling it’s hard to argue that the land couldn’t be better utilised.
Generally now they’re either being lived in by small wealthy families or in poor condition being rented at alarming rates.

History is history but the City needs capacity. Dublin is essentially pretty full and building more & more estates in Dunshaughlin & Celbridge leads to more problems.

There are large parts of Fingal, Meath and Kikdare that are very close to Dublin and are well located for commuting. But without investing in public transport it’s not workable.

1 Like

I am thinking I don’t charge enough rent

1 Like

Correct but isn’t a big problem with people who are homeless in Dublin being they want to live in the City.

We definitely need an urgent policy on upgraded Public Transport into Dublin just to get workers to work. Those people are probably going to find it very hard to ever get a property in Dublin.

Georgian buildings look great when properly maintained but surely the areas should be better utilised to home more people closer to existing Public transport and their jobs.

Or the Government could just incentivise more Companies to set up outside Dublin. That would make actual sense.

Straw and wattle houses

There was an entire Prime Time episode devoted to this topic this evening. Not sure if that was mentioned already. But basically, our roads are about to burst and we’ll all be retired before the rail infrastructure gets up to scratch