General Election - Housing Manifestos

Can we call them fascists?

1 Like

I think it would be remiss of us not to

Maybe Nazis. That’ll get Sid excited.

166,000 Houses (not social) were completed in Ireland in 2006-2007 alone.
20,000 units a year if they have the land and money is achievable with the right planning and policies.

1 Like

That’s a good point. It’d be interesting to see how many years did it take to ramp to that level.

@balbec send on the Ukrainians stat

It’s like Germany 1932 and lads being told not to ask about beer halls and beatings.

1 Like

The houses built on flood plains with Pryite and no fire safety certs. Thrown up.

Yeah, all 166,000 of them.

All I know is it was a MASSIVE number.

You had a mini recession construction wise around 2000/01 coinciding with the collapse of Independant Insurance. But you had 13 years to 2007 where the housing supply increased on average 14% year on year. Housing output accounted for 16% of GNP in 2007.

2 Likes

It’s funny, you keep defending our mysterious unknown boffin and his baseless input because it’s suits your outlook.

You’re right. We just need to want it more :+1:

I have an unnamed academic who is an expert in this field that says that’s exactly true. He also said he rode your ma. Sure it must be true, he’s an academic.

1 Like

How can 100,000 houses over the next 10 years or whatever the timeframe is be done without having a detrimental effect on Ireland’s carbon targets and overall environmental footprint? Diesel powered trucks delivering blocks and cement all over the country, generators and other machinery going hither and tither from sites, workers driving to these sites, and the subsequent energy required to build and then live in these homes. I really would be hoping that the houses built in Dublin would be built within walking distance of public transport links and near the proposed DART extensions and Metro .

These houses would need to all have at least an A2 energy rating to comply with current regulations too, adding to the costs involved in building them. How is the energy to power these new homes going to be generated? Another couple of hundred thousand wind turbines? You can barely look out a window of a house in the country side and there’s a turbine in view. I am exasperated as to why tidal energy has not been seriously explored by government, given that we are an island nation. There are much maintenance costs involved than wind energy and would be less noise pollution also. Plus, as the tides are predictable vs the wind, the power generated is more consistent.

Moneypoint is going to be turned into a nuclear power plant and will resolve all these issues

1 Like

There have been suggestions of that alright but no official green light.

I wouldn’t be against Nuclear energy anyway. Some of those closed peat powered stations in the Midlands would also be ideal sites

Nuclear is the future from a cost effectiveness and volume point of view. A lot of these renewable energies bring their own issues.

2 Likes

That may be true, but Irish nimbyism, conservative mindset and consequently politicians’ desire to protect their voter base would cause issues you’d feel.

Is that true? Not sure we are mature enough as a nation