Germany vs. Italy

Riccardo Montolivo will have a German flag on one shinpad (in honour of his German mother) and an Italian flag on his other shinpad. How do we think this might affect the flow of the game?

A number 10 like Rooney has a responsibility to disrupt a deeplying opposition playmaker given they’re both operating in the same area of the pitch. Rooney’s decision not to bother his arse was reminiscent of the 2011 Champions League Final when he let Busquets (albeit a mere water carrier in comparison to the peerless Pirlo) be the launchpad for Barca’s attacks. Some folks might recall Ferguson raging at Rooney during a stoppage in play after around 25 minutes in that game. It’s odd because Rooney was once lauded for his committment to defence and spent a lot of time playing as an auxillary right back for Manchester United in the past in Europe when Ronaldo was upfront. Now he’s just shite really with a crap attitude.

I think that having two flags dragging out of your shinpads could seriously affect you tbh.

This was the role made famous by Chris Sutton when he destroyed Tugay at Ewood Park and played a magnificent game of football in an attacking and disruptive sense. It’s a role I think we might be able to get Walters to play for Éire.

Apparently Prandelli is set to make two changes to the side that beat England, Chiellini and Diamanti are tipped to come in for Balzaretti and Cassano. I’d much prefer he kept things as they are, Cassano deserves to keep his place as with the exception of the England game (where space was at a premium) he has had a very good tournament. I’m also not a fan of Chiellini at left back, Balzaretti can be frustrating in attack but Chiellini won’t offer much more going forward. Abate is expected to recover but the main doubt persists over De Rossi with Nocerino set to come in if he fails to make it.

I give Italy a decent chance of progressing as long as they keep that utter cunt and fraud Thiago Motta out of the side

Motta is a fantastic player, I’d prefer he came in as opposed to Nocerino.

How quick is Chiellini? Seems relatively mobile for a centre back but you’d imagine he could get exposed against a speedy winger, no matter how versatile he is.

He’s always defended well at full back when he’s played there, but in Italy you don’t come across too many teams who play with width so Germany will be a different test in this regard.

I can confirm that the German squad went to the Kino last night to see Spiderman 3D.

Lads how the he’ll is chelini not playing centre half? The season before this I saw a nice bit of him and thought he was awesome. The reports on this past season and the obvious strength of a undefeated defense with juve I can’t believe he’s not starting there.

He was injured for the England match due to a knee injury he picked up against Ireland

I’ll be surprised if Pirlo lasts the 90 tomorrow night. Don’t think he could possibly encounter a bigger contrast to the free ride he was given against England than playing against the relentless pace of the Germans. Prandelli for me will definitely have to change things up from the England game and put an extra man into midfield to protect Pirlo, probably Motta. Vital De Rossi is fit. Italy played 3-5-2 against both Spain and Croatia. I wonder would they go for a 4-5-1 which they haven’t played yet at this tournament with Cassano dropping out. Balotelli has the physical strength to play up front on his own.

Still, whatever formation they play, it isn’t likely to be enough. 2-0 Germany.

Pirlo uses very little energy. He won’t tire as he doesn’t sprint around the pitch like a madman. Marchisio is the engine of the Italian midfield, he covers an unreal amount of ground every game, De Rossi would be a massive loss but if he doesn’t make it we’ll have either Nocerino to add some dynamism in there of Motta who is an excellent enforcer, a real capo. I’ve so much belief in this Italian side and to hell with people who call us limited - we are a complete side.

Ozil isn’t exactly renowned for his pressing game so it will be interesting to see if he is instructed to get close to Pirlo. I don’t think they’ll single him out though, Schweinsteiger and Khedira will step forward when required and expect the wide attackers to tuck in and deny him space to advance too.

As Chewy has said, he was in the team, got injured and Italy defended very well against England, particularly Bonnucci who was his direct replacement. I’d still be surprised if he wasn’t picked at centre back despite the rumours otherwise. He’s Italy’s best defender and his best position is centre back. I think they’d be reading too much into the threat of Danny Welbeck if they didn’t restore Chiellini to the heart of the defence.

For Italy I think this will be the game where Di Natale’s running will once again be utilised off the bench.

Are we expecting Gomez and Muller to come back in for Germany at the expense of Klose and Schurrle and Reus to keep his place ahead of Podolski?

[quote=“sid waddell, post: 693157”]For Italy I think this will be the game where Di Natale’s running will once again be utilised off the bench.

Are we expecting Gomez and Muller to come back in for Germany at the expense of Klose and Schurrle and Reus to keep his place ahead of Podolski?[/quote]
I think Klose will start because he works better with Ozil. Schurrle likely to drop out, other one could go either way. Some options to have though.

Another sensational Panenka penalty from Pirlo :barcasmile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76M-rPqN16c

not sure what mario gomez has done to get dropped. was he utterly shite against Denmark or what?

Nope. He just isn’t quite as good at linking up the play as Klose. Their passing stats are very different for example. I read a really good article on the differences in their performances somewhere the other day but can’t remember the website it was on. Suffice to say Klose creates more chances, has more assists and receives more passes than Gomez. Harsh on Gomez alright and he certainly has a good chance of starting still, I just think Klose is slightly preferred.