Germany vs. Italy

There is a lot of misplaced arrogance in the German camp. Podolski came out with comments today that will only serve to fire our boys up for Thursday. I fully believe we have the better footballers, the better manager, the better balance and the stronger mentality. I think we’ll win it out, obvioulsy we’ve got the toughest schedule given that we have played more football than any of the other teams in the tournament so far and we’ve got the least amount of time to recuperate, but have a great team spirit and instilled confident. Germany have won nothing which makes Podolski look ridiculous with his comments, he’s going to look much more stupid Thursday night.

I’m very confident we will stuff the German arrogance down their throats and hit back at those pundits who have failed to give us enough credit so far. FORZA ITALIA!

+1

we play the better football,have the better players,are more successful and are the greatest country on earth

Germany’s record against their old axis partner is dismal. They have never beaten[font=“arial”][size=“2”] [/size][/font]Italy in a finals tournament. Italy won the World Cup semis in 1970 & 2006 and the 1982 final. Drew at the groups stages in the World Cup in 1962 and 1978.

In the Euros, drew at the group stages in 1988 & 96.

[font=arial][size=3] In the name of economic prudence and clean living it’s a travesty that 3 of the 4 semi finalists are being bankrolled by th[/size][/font][font=arial][size=3]e 4th and I will be rooting for Germany. Italy have a big chance though.[/size][/font]

Prandelli has done well to get a limited side this far.

germany to win. 2-0.

I’m a little disappointed at the tone of that first post from Totti. This match will be a celebration of all that is right about football. It could only be improved upon by introducing the Turks as a third team somehow.

I think Germany are markedly improved over the last 2 years. The defence are that little bit more experienced, they have an infinititely stronger bench (think of Trochowski and Cacau as backup last time) and some of the potential stars like Ozil are now genuine top class superstars.

Germany have that bit of variation to their attack that England (or even Spain) didn’t have against Italy. They have good width and a good central striker and the midfield triangle is as strong as ever (if Schweini is fit).

I think there has been a lack of respect from some quarters of the German camp towards Italy. I have been annoyed by this, the likes of Podolski and Ozil (to a lesser extent) should have more grace.

Spain had never beaten France in a competitive international.

Any updates on De Rossi and Abate.Think they are carrying slight strains.Any chance Chiellini will make it.He would be needed to counteract Gomez although Bonucci played well against England.

Chiellini trained yesterday so it would look likely that he will be involved. No update on Abate or De Rossi since. Think it would also be incredibly harsh to drop Bonucci as he’s had a fantastic tournament so far.

Really?

Germany should beat this hardworking, but limited Italian team. Italy are a good forward away from being contenders I think. Pirlo will not get the time and space England afforded him either.
The Greeks, worryingly for ze Germans, managed to score 2 goals against them which highlights this defence is far from the finished article and offers hope for the spics.

Should be a good game but Germany with the fresher legs should win. 3-1 Germany .

Joachim Low has already shown that no German player is assured of his place, so some in the defence after some comical defending against Greece will have to be on their game. Germany are so strong in midfield and going forward though that I can’t see anyone stopping them. They attack in waves and have incredible strength up front. The ponderous game that Italy and Spain play could easily be brushed aside. I reckon this one will be 2-1 / 3-1 Germany. But its been great to see an Italian team vastly improved on the WC.

I have been impressed by Barzagli at the back for Italy.

[quote=“ChocolateMice, post: 693132”]Germany should beat this hardworking, but limited Italian team. Italy are a good forward away from being contenders I think. Pirlo will not get the time and space England afforded him either.
The Greeks, worryingly for ze Germans, managed to score 2 goals against them which highlights this defence is far from the finished article and offers hope for the spics.

Should be a good game but Germany with the fresher legs should win. 3-1 Germany .[/quote]
The Spics are playing in the other semi against a country that I believe is too inconsequential to the English speaking world to have a disparaging nickname for its people. The Krauts are facing off against the Dagos in this one.

At the end of the day Ron, they’re all foreigners and they don’t like it up em.

Some talk that Sven Bender might replace Boateng who has had a poor tournament at full back.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 693137”]

Some talk that Sven Bender might replace Boateng who has had a poor tournament at full back.[/quote]

No shame at all for Boateng in being taken to school by Samaras in the quarter final.

True, but he hasn’t been good throughout, not just the Greek game. Great depth oif talent in that squad though. Pirlo was saying yesterday how Ozil will be a real threat and will operate in the space Pirlo plays in. He thought Rooney wasn’t much of a problem for him. Pirlo thinks he’s a defender all of a sudden.

This is going to be a cracking cracking game, can’t wait for it.

http://2012.7msport…627/75252.shtml

[size=3]Pirlo says Germany fear Italy[/size]
[size=3]Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2012 by UEFA.com[/size]

[size=3]http://news.7msport.com/news/upload_img/20120627/35_2012062711494606.jpg[/size]
[size=3]Andrea Pirlo cut a cool figure during Tuesday’s conference[/size]

[size=3][font=Tahoma]Andrea Pirlo is anticipating a “beautiful”, open semi-final on Thursday and believes that, with recent history on their side, Italy have nothing to fear from Joachim Löw’s men. Indeed, if anything it is the other way around. “Germany are afraid of Italy,” he told today’s press conference.[/font][/size]
[size=3]Pirlo has epitomised Italy’s free-flowing football philosophy this tournament, producing a string of superb performances: pulling the strings, setting up goals and even scoring himself. The Juventus midfielder lit up the quarter-final against England with an exceptional display crowned by his Panenka-style chipped penalty, or ‘cucchiaio’ (‘spoon’), that spurred the Azzurri fightback in the shoot-out. It was perhaps inevitable that this was one of the first questions put to the former AC Milan playmaker.[/size]
[size=3]“I didn’t practise my penalty,” he said. “It was spontaneous. I don’t think about missing in those situations. What happened was purely spur of moment. When I saw the goalkeeper [Joe Hart] going to ground I decided to strike the ball in that way, also to bring him down a peg or two.” http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/b/bow_down_before_you-960.gif[/size]
[size=3]Six years after shining at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, Pirlo clearly remains at the height of his powers and exudes a confidence borne of a gifted player who has enjoyed a glittering career. Pirlo has won three Scudetti, two UEFA Champions League titles and a World Cup winners’ medal. The latter was achieved with a semi-final victory against Germany in Dortmund and Pirlo sees the parallels this time around.[/size]
[size=3]"The difference then was that they were on home soil, playing in front of their own fans, but other than that it is a similar situation. We have a good squad and are strong in every department. Germany are similar to six years ago in terms of the way they play and their desire to win, and this is another semi-final. I am sure that they are afraid of us, looking at our record, as they won’t want a repeat of 2006.[/size]
[size=3]“We have watched all of Germany’s matches. They are a great side with the right mentality, and in the last few years they have been in six semi-finals. We studied them this afternoon, but we know we can beat them. We will try to impose our game on them the way we did on England, although it will definitely be a different match as Germany will try to play openly.”[/size]
[size=3]Like Cesare Prandelli yesterday, Pirlo identified Germany’s Mesut Özil as their chief danger man – a player with similar vision to Italy’s No21 and one who has earned plaudits for his displays at these finals. The 33-year-old, though, refuted suggestions he is in the running for the next FIFA Ballon d’Or award. “I don’t ever think about that because it’s impossible to finish ahead of the likes of [Lionel] Messi and [Cristiano] Ronaldo.”[/size]
[size=3]What Pirlo is thinking about now, however, is helping Italy secure their first UEFA European Championship in 44 years. “We knew we could do well from the very start, because we have the right spirit and desire. We just need to keep playing our way and try to avoid making mistakes. I’m curious to play in this important game. I’m almost at the end of my career and I might not experience these emotions again. Now we’re in the last four we want to go all the way. We are here to win this EURO.”[/size]

Indeed. I imagine he’s been exempted from criticism for that game but he hasn’t looked at home at full back. It’s the one area where Germany have been struggling to develop international class players - they have a few decent enough Bundesliga full backs but have persisted in playing a centre back out wide for almost 4 years now and it’s still not comfortable looking.