GGA/ Sports Journalists Gone Off The Reservation Log Thread

I’m not sure if @Ewan is considered a GAA journalist as such but I’ve noted a growing propensity from Irish sports journalists to tweet views that would be quite right of centre.

Hugh Cahill from RTÉ was one flagged here previously but in recent months Derrick “Ireland is full but my hair isn’t” Lynch and Shane Stapleton seem to be veering more and more towards the right. Fellas who are supposed to be talking about sports now more interested in how matters around immigration, gender equality and human rights are irking them

2 Likes

Hugh Cahill is a clown tbf.

3 Likes

More an analyst than a journalist but I’d throw Anthony Moyles into that mix.

The fella who punched a guy on the ground outside Bozo’s in Athlone as well, obviously.

1 Like

If he’s a clown then what does that make lads like Shane Stapleton who talks like he’s some sort of guru on the sport. He treats his opinion as THE most important and nobody else can have an opinion that is different to us. An absolute
weirdo

That fella called Woolie from Laois, what’s his actual name again? He comments on stuff other than GAA.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0409/607880-davy-client-court/

More lads asking questions

How in the name of fuck have you not mention that Curtis gobshite?

1 Like

Stapleton sidling up to the anti-vaccine nutters now.

Brendan Devenney (journalist would be a stretch) who appears on Woolie’s show from time to time and has the only GAA show on Donegal radio took it upon himself to pretty much ignore the biggest story since winning SAM in 2012 when Lacey resigned, the Croke Park investigation and disastrous management debacle. The guy has too many friends on all sides of the debate so he buries his head in the sand and pretends it’s not happening. It was comical, yet disheartening.

Is Stapleton turning into a right wing extremist or is he seething he gets no work off Rte ?

1 Like

He has gone off the rails since that @Bandage spot was logged here

Perhaps i) is true because ii) is true first?

Qewan became a right wing extremist because he was pissed off that his anti-rugby rants back in 2015 weren’t taken seriously and people thought of him as an attention seeking crank.

Because his first attempt at seeking attention didn’t work, he had to increase the edginess of his next attention seeking attempt. That’s didn’t work either, and neither did subsequent attempts, so he had to keep ramping up the edginess until he got into full blown anti-vaxxer, Covid conspiracist and defending Nazis territory.

That’s the way it goes.

1 Like

Although most people agree RTE left their journalistic principles down badly when they took the vaccine money I cannot really understand why Stapleton is going down this route.

He’s had a few appearances on various RTE GAA games which he will likely lose now.

Let’s just divide that quote into two parts.

You can’t agree with somebody’s “views” (“RTE took the vaccine money” which is conspiratorial bollocks) and then say they shouldn’t be advancing these “views”.

1 Like

Ouch for Stapleton

Stapleton will find it hard to come back from that.

John appears to be far right though

Never forget how weaselish and grasping most (sports) journalists are. SS is all but a moron, someone who has never had an original thought in his life. But what he is at? Pretty straightforward. Namely: wants to be a pauper’s Woolhead.

Some ambition in life. But there it is.