Gibraltar v Ireland - UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying

This is clearly sensationalism but I’d welcome Coach Poyet with welcome arms.

1 Like

The summary of that article is that lots of fellas in tracksuits go to Irish soccer football games. Poyet seems astute.

1 Like

Why is it on in Faro? Why not over the border in Spain? eg Cadiz, Seville etc

Aren’t Spain a bit funny about their recognition of Gibraltar?

1 Like

The right wing are. I’d say most people couldn’t care less.

Lovely ground, not far from the Rock. Would be cheaper than Spain I’d say.

Gibraltar 0-1 Ireland.

Spock out.

Ken Earley pleading for some leniency when judging Spocks tenure

cant believe he is doubling down but i guess for his credibility he needs to save face

Sutton schools him

Chris Sutton & Ken Early Go Toe to Toe Live on BBC: “It’s not working this fantasy football is it?” (benchwarmers.ie)

1 Like

Early thinks because he’s read a few books and wears a disheveled blazer he’s some sort of intellectual authority. Can’t admit he was wrong

1 Like

John Giles had him figured out years ago

There’s no more astute judge of football than Johnny Giles. He called out the cod of defensive midfielders when the Guardian set were getting excited by your Makaleles etc

2 Likes

What’s wrong with what Earley says here? He knows he (Kenny) has failed, but at least Kenny showed what he wanted to do, and tried to change the way we were playing. When you are a manager or a Head Coach you have a vision or a philosophy of what you want to do or how you want the game to be played. I want Spock out and I’m one of the ones who was a supporter of his (cc. @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy) and to a certain extent I would still be a supporter. He tried, it turned out he wasn’t capable to match the results to where he and all of us want the senior team to be, but he tried. You can’t fault someone from trying.

4 Likes

there’s not much fairer to be said than that…

1 Like

Gilesy has to the best of my knowledge been a hardcore supporter of Kenny, particularly lately, bizarrely.

1 Like

The nation needs a laboured 1-0 win here

Early-sy has a point about trying something. But he’s given Kenny such a soft ride on all of his failures.

If MON/Trap/Mick had lost to Luxembourg the knives would have been out

I don’t think McCarthy ever had a bad relationship with journalists or was ever hounded, and there were some bad days under him too. His football wasn’t negative, there is a lot of revisionism around Mick on here. Maybe in his caretaker role it was toxic, but that wasn’t down to Mick it was down to FAI and it previous managements letting the whole thing go stale. There was an awful toxicity around the set up around that time and Mick did a very fucking good job preparing a team to be taken over.

1 Like

I hope the man can get a result tonight and we put up a respectable performance in Amsterdam. As much as it has been a disaster, hopefully the ending is some way bloodless.

Gave it his best shot, it just wasn’t to be.

Would take Poyet, in a heartbeat. The type of hard nosed practical manager we need, not averse to a bit of shithousery to get it done.

1 Like

Mick was pragmatic. He played decent stuff when we had better players in his first spell. His very early days were Spock-eque, lots of debuts, experimentation with formations (Ian Harte at CB) and his caretaker spell was more of the same following MON.