Giving to Charity

I sincerely doubt that
Speaking from a small bit of experience ref family member
Homeless and died with a needle in his arm

I’m involved a little bit with St Mary’s
Popes Quay
Dominican order of preachers.

Attended a lot of courses over the yrs,
Included on these different courses ( normally Autumn months)
Plus a few weekly ones in the summer.

Anyways the amount of former homeless ppl I meet concur with me,
Homelessness is at crisis point in Cork city,

( Genuine homelessness I’m on about,not ppl looking for a short cut up the council housing list,but the street ppl and those poor fuckers stuck in hotel rooms)

2 Likes

Some gathering of homeless people there at Morrison’s quay when you cross over the bridge .

1 Like

All over the city,most can’t be seen as they wander everywhere,
Penny dinners is an eye opener

Yet homeless charities have never been better funded. Are they doing what they are supposed to

1 Like

Terrible story in North Kerry this week. Young lad had an aneurysm over in San Fran. Fundraiser went up and €150k raised so far in three days.

He has sadly passed away since, but at least the family won’t have to worry about hospital bills or repatriation costs. People are incredible really.

I was only drinking pints with the same lad a few weeks ago at his cousin’s wedding. Life is terribly cruel sometimes.

Enjoy it while you can.

13 Likes

That’s a mad comment.

Go fund mes are unbelievable really. Especially with the community spirit in Ireland and the GAA etc. It’s possible to raise absolute fortunes in no time.

This is a very good example of how these charities operates. They will never end homelessness as they would be out of work.

The Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust is one of the greatest things in this country. The best of the GAA Community.

You won’t know til you know. Then you’ll know.

4 Likes

Please God we will never know. But a great cause. You want a charity like that completely thin of fat. Just doing it’s thing with a small group

This chap was friends with my future brother in law.

Him and my sister had just moved from San Fran to Chicago two weeks ago but he’d gone back to San Fran in the last few days to be with his friend. A simply awful thing to happen.

I detailed here how a woman I know died in a triathlon in France last summer.

The KB Trust were unbelievable, her sister was telling me. The family felt indebted to them, and as they’re from Faughart, they spent weeks making handwoven St Brigid’s crosses and sold them at the shrine there in February.

The cycling club and triathlon club then held a big cycle for the trust. The cycle raised 10.5k and the crosses 13.5k.

11 Likes

Some are , mostly it’s a money racket, ref Ukraine and international plamasers

https://twitter.com/vmsportie/status/1816110737980326390?s=46

Saw someone on my ‘gram feed advising they are fundraising for Laura Lynn

That’s noble thought to me self

They are fundraising by skipping 100 “skips” a day for the month of September.

Laziest sponsorship request I’ve ever seen

3 Likes

Thought that counts :blush:

1 Like

Tis Laura Lynn, give all you can and pray to God you’ll never see the insides of it.

2 Likes

No issue with the charity, more the person suggesting they were making a big commitment/effort

https://twitter.com/lauralynnhouse/status/1828039694564630971?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg