Good Books

Waterford lads would also say Stephen Brenner is playing ‘on’ goal rather than ‘in’ goal. No idea why

I’ve heard ‘read on the paper’ rather than ‘in the paper’ down there, which is similar enough. A De La Salle man I coached with was great for ‘Don’t leave him out’ if an opposition corner-back got the ball. He was also prone to exhort ‘Keep Sniggin’ when the ball was on the ground and I’m still not exactly sure what he really meant by that!

1 Like

A snig is a litle flick a defender would use to knock the ball away from an attacker. Pat O Dwryer and John Henderson of Kilkenny were good exponents of the snig

1 Like

Sniggin’ away at cutting hedges, pulling butts of haycocks etc. a semi-rural idiom.
Loosely translated it means you were tipping away in a passive-aggressive fashion with reserves in the tank for a prolonged siege.

5 Likes

@Locke will be using Sniggin’ away on his calls with his Swiss buddies

3 Likes

Never thought about that to be honest but yeah I’d use left a lot on that context though clearly wrong now that you mention it. I left a fella out of the car at the Bullring.

He’s not in the goal- that would be pointless. He’s on the goal ie the goal line.

1 Like

We’d have said ‘who’s on goals’ when deciding positions for a kick around (Cork)

1 Like

Can’t argue with that

1 Like

We left him on goals is fine.

Informative - thanks.

Sounds like my career of late…

I would say that watching a match all the time in the same situation. Got it from the auld boy.

1 Like

Didn’t cop till now they were into this “mum” shit down there as well.

Saw this online, from 1984, off topic I know
The Stand by Stephen king is a very good book

The American players for Neptune ( Team Burgerland) got free food in there, they were the biggest celebs in Cork at the time

Good to know. Might give it a go.

Just finished this. Cracking book about the US Civil War. Read it before about 15 years ago but didn’t take it all in maybe because I tried to read it too quick. It’s a big unit 900 pages but I read it slow and deliberate this time and consulted maps and so on and it was a much better read for it. Magnificent work.

6 Likes

Apologies if you’ve already answered this @anon67715551 but Ive just started TTMFTRS. Are all/most of the characters based on real people from that area yeah? Were they not annoyed at McG disclosing their traits in that personal of a fashion or how close to the bone does he get? Cheers

All the characters are locals if you include the 2 or 3 business people in the town. The relatives of ‘John Quinn’ took the whole thing terribly badly and they about 600yds from McGahern across the hill. They had little enough to complain about truth be told. The book is viscerally factual though.

Most escaped relatively unscathed but I thought the local handyman ‘Pat Ryan’ got a bit of hard time from McG but there again ‘Ryan’ didn’t give a fuck about McG stating he was only using us all along.

Generally well enough received but it polarised McG somewhat as his motives came under scrutiny .

2 Likes

This is a grand read.

1 Like

I’ve started reading Dave Grohl’s book there yesterday, can’t put it down. Will keep this one in mind also.