Good Books

Ya there’s an app you need to download and use. I set it up way back but never actually borrowed anything.

https://www.librariesireland.ie/elibrary/eaudiobooks

1 Like

Borrow box?

1 Like

Grand read for the holidays. Interesting account of growing up in North East England after the war.

1 Like

Most interesting but of stings book too (which I didn’t finish)

You download borrow box, put in your library no. and pin. Can download e/audio books. You can rent them for up to 50 days.

1 Like

Great thanks. Have they a limited selection?

They’ve a decent selection, there’s fair few they’re not gonna have of course.

1 Like

It’s pretty good. There’s lots they can’t get (afford I suspect) but they’ve lots of good stuff, and the reservation system works well.
I’m just trying to avoid finishing " The small things" by Claire Keegan on audiobook via borrowbox (I’m enjoying it so much I don’t want to finish it)

Always I know
You’ll be at my show
Watching
Waiting
Commiserating

1 Like

Act of Oblivion by Robert Harris is good. Two of Cromwell’s lads on the run in America after regicide of Charles Stuart. It’s his first good one in a while - the historical backdrop and geography of London and Boston/Cambridge in those times is interesting too.

2 Likes

Any recommendations for good books on Russian Revolution?

Brian Johnson’s book I enjoyed a lot @Fagan_ODowd
A thoroughly alright sort who deservedly earned the winning lottery ticket only better.

Glad you liked it. I did too. As you say seemed like a grand lad

100 or so pages into “Chasing King’s Killer” by James Swanson.

Excellent chronological telling of the life and death of Martin Luther King. Gets the balance right between story telling pace and historic fact. Fascinating read

3 Likes

Just finished The Sunken Road by Ciaran McMenamin. A novel set at the outbreak of the civil war with flashbacks to WW1. I enjoyed it a lot - a good story well told.

I learned about the battle of Pettigo too - had never heard of it before

2 Likes

The battle of Pettigo is a great oul’ tale. Heard something of it on Shannonside Northern Sound there a few weeks ago. Very interesting…

Here’s a snippet - a good wee read.

2 Likes

Have you watched The Barkley Marathons on Netflix? Intersects out of the blue with MLK’s murderer.

I like the way Max Hastings writes. It would seem that if the two Kennedy brothers and Robert McNamara hadn’t held the line the US armed forces would have happily dragged the world in to mutually assured destruction

3 Likes