Good Books

Audiobook is one of the best I’ve listened to. Has the music and Bono doing impressions of various people’s voices. He comes across very well

2 Likes

I’ve just bought this for £1.80 at a bookstall/fair at work.
Crikey, your man says, it’s a bit grim that.

It is, up until Live Aid. The last quarter or so of it I thought was terribly boring and poorly written in comparison to the rest of it.
Granted it’s a few years since I read it last.

Decades since I read it, but it was a great read at the time. It’s brutal what happened to him afterwards.

I haven’t paid much attention to him in years. Though I thought the album he had I think in the 90’s was very good.

Two good reads.

Operation Chiffon

5 Likes

Really enjoying it. Audiobook. Started out a bit slow but has picked up now.

Is it to be a triology ?

Very tense. Does O Connor read it himself on Audible?

No. They’ve a few actors reading different chapters

1 Like

O Connor has a great voice. The Drivetime diaries were excellent

2 Likes

I’m about a third of the way into this and its shaping up to be a cracker.

Just finished it there. Enjoyable and easy read. Saw the plot line coming a long way out which isn’t like me. Overdid the seventies bit, juicy fruit, Mud, Frank Spencer, Jimmy Savills, Mike Yarwood, tinned ham, tinned peas etc. etc ok we get it it’s the early seventies. Also there is a recurring error where she refers to the Irish pound as a punt but I don’t think we had punts until the 80s. But in the round enjoyable.

I never knew that,
So the Punt name came with the break from the one for one exchange rate with Sterling?

Correct. To be fair the note that was in circulation Jin the 70s with Lady Lavery on it said on the left one pound and on the right but they were universally known as pound notes.

I liked the nickname for Presbyterians, Press Button Bs. I’d never heard that before.

This one came in in 1977, first one I remember

1 Like

Johnson at 10 by Anthony Seldon, if even half of it is true, it is outrageous

1 Like

The other thing I should mention about Trespasses is that it is wonderfully paced. Shortish chapters that are all of similar length makes it very easy to read and read quickly. I got through it in just above 24 hours.

I’m listening to the handmaids tale and it’s boring me to tears

I’m about a third way through, is it worth sticking with?

Finished this earlier in the week; some fairly haunting stories in it. The one about the nurse looking after the disabled kids was especially disturbing