Good Books

I read it as a work of fiction loosely inspired by Syria, I’m no expert on Syria mind you

1 Like

I really enjoyed it. If it was written 20 years ago it would have been too far fetched. But with the rise of far right governments in various parts of europe it doesn’t seem all that far from us now. The gradual breakdown of the stable society we take for granted created a creeping sense of impending dread. I thought it was masterfully written and fully deserving of the acclaim.

2 Likes

Agree 100%

I started Star of the Sea by Joseph O’Connor a few days ago.

I find it tough going in terms of the style it’s written in. I’ll keep at it though

1 Like

I read it, know I enjoyed it, but remember little enough about it.

1 Like

That happens to me regularly.

2 Likes

I loved it. Really liked redemption falls also which was kind of linked.

1 Like

Excellent website - unbelievable value.

Purchased 6 books last week on it - excellent value.

Went back on it again today and purchased 23 more books - went a bit mad but savage value in the books - purchased a few for my mother also

1 Like

I see you have a run on Denis Lehane. Only started reading myself over Christmas and am hooked

1 Like

Wha? There’s been umpteen countries all over the world that we’ve seen this ‘breakdown’ in society and recently enough too…he offers nothing new or points to the causes…
as i said earlier on the thread, It’s just a copy and paste job of a number of historical events - Germany, Spain , Baltics, Chile… It’s old hat dressed as lamb written poorly.

Just finished this book on your recommendation. Super read and like you said unputdownable. Highly recommend.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Really enjoyed it as well.
Would recommend.

I need to send you that on. I haven’t forgotten, I’m just a bit overwhelmed at present.

1 Like

Joined the library today.

1 Like

Started it last night after @binkybarnes recommendation.

1 Like

Reading this now. He’s a beautiful writer.

2 Likes

I have it saved to the kindle but yet to start it

The writing is outstanding.

I was enjoying Kala but I remember thinking that it went off the boil in the second half, I couldn’t wait to finish it.

Everything Donal Ryan has written has been absolutely outstanding, he’s our best writer

Didn’t he write a piece from the perspective of a baby at one stage?

I think Kala is as good as anything Ryan has written.