Good Books

It’s worth paying for, well I think it is, but I got it on borrowbox for free.

Great book. Best book about Nenagh and its environs I’ve ever read.

2 Likes

Were there many?

1 Like

:clap: just finished this.

Excellent book.

2 Likes

The missus was giving out to me because I had the book beside me as we were getting the little lad ready for the day. Sneaking a read here and there. That’s a good sign of a book!

1 Like

I tore into it properly this week and ended up staying up 45 minutes later than planned.
A few bits of the story seem like unrealistic scenarios, nearly a bit famous 5, but a page turner all the same.

1 Like

Was Mush gay I wonder?

2 Likes

Rarely listen to fiction books on audible but this is decent if not massively complex book. Good story with good narration …if you like don Winslow youl enjoy…first of a trilogy (that are all now released)

Screenshot_2024-05-01-19-36-59-78_d83a7ad73970bc3e284fb7b44ff9d74d

I’ve listened to all 3 of them. All decent.

1 Like

I put down Red Menace because it was too hard to follow and picked it up about 6 weeks later when I had a bit more time and had read a bit around it and White Riot. Ultimately I found it a very satisfying read about a time in London that I was very familiar with having worked there in the mid 80s and the bits about the Wapping strikes, the Broadwater Farm riots, Red Wedge, the murder of PC Keith Blakelock, the institutional racism and corruption in the Met and of course Thatcher the cunt all rang true. The other bit of the story, the bit in italics about the criminal property developer who acquired land through adverse possession didn’t ring true and wasn’t very convincing at all.

I don’t think this is a book you can read a few pages of of an evening after work, there are too many strands to it. You need to read it in big clumps to keep control of it.

1 Like

Reading this now. So far it’s an absolute dinger but I’m not sure I’ll be able for it. Packs an emotional punch.

Only bought it because I know the authors brother, who is an absolute gentleman.

1 Like

All of Liz Nugents books are very readable in fairness
I enjoyed that one

I really enjoyed it too. Her best book imo.

Jesus - Ireland seems to really deliver its authors. Recently even more so.

Saints and scholars bro

1 Like

Mainly women too.

Men didn’t read books before Ryan Tubridy much less write them.

6 Likes

The women are great for crime fiction but most of the great Irish writers are male, Donal Ryan, Sebastian Barry and Joe O’Connor being the cream of the crop

Would you not have John Banville on that list.

1 Like

I’ve only read his most recent book because I got it as a present but it was the greatest hape of shite I ever came across. Perhaps not fair to judge him on that one.

I think @backinatracksuit should have Anne Enright on the list. And Edna O’Brien but maybe a stretch to call her current.