Good Books

Sea Monsters by Chloe Aridjis.
About a 17 year old mexican girl in the 80s who decides to track down a troop of Ukrainian midgets who escaped from a touring Soviet circus.

What’s not to like?

1 Like

Did you read “This plague of souls”, Mike McCormacks next book after Solar Bones?

I did. I didn’t think it was in the same league as Solar Bones.

1 Like

I have Solar Bones on the bookshelf ready to go at some stage,

A grand book. Short but to the point. Both books I’ve read this week are set in County Wexford. Long Island is (counterintuitively) set for the most part in Enniscorthy and this book is set entirely in New Ross. Very good take on the Ireland of the 40s to the 90s and the Mother and Baby homes and the way we all enabled the Church. 5/5.

2 Likes

That’s a superb book, astonishingly good, not as good as Foster mind.

I’ll admit I was a little disappointed with the ending of Long Island

Lovely pace to it.

What’s Toibin’s best novel lads?

Brooklyn

1 Like

I agree. It was one of the best books I’ve ever read. Not a word wasted. Foster is also top class.

I got the new Kevin Barry book on Audible, he reads it himself.

I had to give up after about an hour, don’t ever listen to a Kevin Barry book, it’s impossible, you’d want to be 100% tuned in, realised that I hadn’t a notion what was goin on.

I’ll buy the real book :man_shrugging:

1 Like

What book are ye talking about here?

Small things like these by Claire Keegan

An extraordinary book, genuine 10/10

But not as good as Foster

1 Like

When ye were saying foster I thought ye were talking about someone’s surname :blush: I’ve seen cailin ciuin didn’t know what the story it was based on was called.

Currently reading Killing Thatcher - excellent book

Disagree. Foster is decent but not as good

Ending is disappointing. The title is misleading.

3 Likes

I’m actually listening to City of Bohane at the moment. Makes it easier having it read it before. Only recently started listening to audiobooks. Is it usually the author reading them?

Not usually in my experience although seems to be increasing a bit.

I finished reading this at the weekend. Not a very easy read but god it was exceptional. Literary genius territory.

Not sure did Burns come up in the recent listing of best current Irish writers on here but she should do.

1 Like